PDA

View Full Version : McAfee or Norton?

mcdhu
17th Dec 2001, 15:20
I need some virus protection for my bog-standard PC which is used for internet and e-mail. The 2 'standards' seem to be McAfee and Norton, both of which are readily available. Any opinions as to which might be best?
Thanks and Merry Christmas
mcdhu

saro
17th Dec 2001, 15:31
Both McAfee and Norton slow down your PC considerably, try VET by computer associates.
www.vet.com.au (http://www.vet.com.au)

Also Zone Alarm Pro Firewall has basic virus protection built in.

Cheers

What_does_this_button_do?
17th Dec 2001, 15:51
Read the numerous threads here where McAfee don't pick up a virus. Go with Norton Internet Security - Firewall and Virus Protection.

Remember: Virus protection on any program is only as good as the last update, and in McAfee's case this isn't too reliable either.

InFinRetirement
17th Dec 2001, 18:23
Sorry but I have to disagree with esteemed friend 'Buttons'.

I had PCillin and that let the whole of Guy's Hospital list of virus' in!!!

Then I got McAfee because the first two letters of Norton indicate exactly how I feel about having anything from them on my pooter.

I leave all my woes to Zone Alarm and McAfee and although Snow White got through, probably because I thought it was my lucky day, I have not had any of the nasties.

So for me in the front line is ZoneAlarm and guarding the rear is McAfee. Works for me!

(Why do I wish I hadn't said that! :eek :)

PS. And my pooter is fast too. Well ain't 30 minutes to open a file quick then!? ;)

What_does_this_button_do?
17th Dec 2001, 18:40
As my good friend IFR points out - McAfee does let one through every now and again - no one I know of (yet!) has had this problem with Norton's.

InFinRetirement
17th Dec 2001, 20:46
Only that it takes 40 minutes to open a file! ;)

Superpilot
17th Dec 2001, 20:50
I've been using PC-Cillin for years and have never come across a virus which wasn't picked up by it. As long as you keep your definitions up to date there shouldn't be a problem. Man! some people here really have terrible luck with viruses, in my 6 years of owning a PC (the last 4 online) I have only ever come across 4 viruses. Norton may well provide better security but be prepared to give away your computer to the damn thing as it totally takes over your machine by "fine tuning" and "crash-guarding" and "optimising" - Give me a break! :rolleyes:

5711N0205W
17th Dec 2001, 21:37
PCCillin works for me as a recent convert from McAfee (biggest pile of pooh!!) and I will never touch another Norton product again, let it get on and download the DAT files when it wants to and it will be as good as any of them. No Virus checker will help against stupid behaviour though so make sure all the users of your machine know what to click and not to click etc.

mad_jock
17th Dec 2001, 22:48
The one that i have used at work is Norton with the live update.

Never had any problems with it. As soon as there is a hint of a virus about, update the signatures on the servers and 1500 machines were protected in under 20mins.

The easest way of avoiding viruses in my experence is not to use microsoft products for reading emails and don't go anywhere near MSN unless you back your machine up.

And also the linux box which stripped vbs attachments off emails before they got near the exchange server might have helped as well. :)

MJ

WhiteSail
17th Dec 2001, 23:21
I think it is a little misleading to suggest Norton slows things down to a crawl. 40 minutes to open a file; I think not!

If you do a custom install and just select the components you require, I don't believe its any slower than comparable software.

Certainly, so far, it has never failed me, and stopped a virus just two days ago. I do however, keep the definitions updated every couple of days. ;)

CamelPilot
17th Dec 2001, 23:31
White Sail, this is supposed to be amusing otherwise any kind of virus would drive to drink. In my case I am already there!

Tongue in cheek stuff and all that.

woftam
18th Dec 2001, 11:48
As I've said elsewhere on this forum,McAfee let me down early this year and I had the latest definitions hot off the web at the time!
After a complete re-format I have had Nortons watching the shop and couldn't be happier so far.("Zone Alarm" as well)
Doesn't seem to slow things down any more than McAfee did either!
40 minutes to open a file? Bigger problem than your software methinks? :eek:

Evo7
18th Dec 2001, 13:21
We use Norton here at work, and I use it at home too - only problem I have is with scheduled scans, which slow the machine to a crawl even when the thread priority is low. Seems fine to me, and LiveUpdate works well.

Ausatco
18th Dec 2001, 15:50
Agree with Saro.

Vet has never let me down. Have never been infected, though do take greater than usual precautions (you have to help yourself a bit):

- Vet
- ZoneAlarm
- Do not use Outlook or Outlook Express for email (Agent from forteinc.com (http://www.forteinc.com) is excellent)
- Delete spam from POP3 server before downloading to PC (SpamEater from www.spameater.net (http://www.spameater.net) )
- Save and scan all executable attachments before viewing.

Given that viruses are rife, you have to take precautions. Security is not delivered on a plate, unfortunately.

Cheers

AA

(edited to correct a URL)

[ 18 December 2001: Message edited by: Ausatco ]

mcdhu
18th Dec 2001, 17:59
Thanks very much for all the tips/hints, guys.
Cheers
mcdhu

bblank
18th Dec 2001, 23:07
mcdhu, there's no substitute for telneting to a unix account, but assuming that that is not possible make sure your internet applications are configured safely. If you continue to use Microsoft products then there are some links in the How Not to Open Email thread that you should read. (Whether or not you use Norton or McAfee, you can profit from their security tips.)

Don't execute any *.bat, *.com, *.exe, *.vbs, or *.dll files even when you know the sender, unless you make sure that the sender knowingly sent it to you. If they arrive on your computer it is no big deal unless you run them. Just delete them and no damage will have been done (assuming that you have configured your internet applications properly).

Fortunately these steps will take care of almost all the popular malware out there whether you run an antivirus program in the background or not. I don't.

Scan all media that may have been used in other computers before running any executables off them. Scan all Word and Excel files before opening them. For those things I use Frisk's free dos program, f-protect. It has been the standard protection used at universities since 1995. I cannot compare it to any other antivirus programs but I have been bug free since I have used it. Admitedly I take more precautions than most.

Arkroyal
29th Dec 2001, 20:51
Was using McAfee with no probs until installing Win XP

McAfee at first did not support XP and then after lengthy downloads, the new products caused no end of lock-ups and crashes.

Binned them, bought Norton am now happy.