PDA

View Full Version : Baa Economy

Airhairlair
24th Jun 2008, 05:11
Hi All,

Can anyone suggest the best seat in economy for a flight from Sydney Australia into London Heathrow, i'm departing next Thursday 3rd July at 1635 with BA #0010, I know I can get on and hopefully pre-book a seat online 24 hours before but anyone with good advice would be very much appreciated.

I've had a brief look at 52B/J but thought i'd track down some experts.

Thanks in advance.

John Hill
24th Jun 2008, 06:41
I have done quite a number of long hauls in economy. My favourite seats were those right at the back where three seats by the window became two. There is just a bit more space and you can stow a bit of stuff between the seat and the aircraft wall. But they are not everyone's favourite and are on some planes right next to the toilet plus of course there is more movement there than any other part of the plane, it takes a bit of getting used to seeing the long line of overhead lockers snaking and twisting when going through a patch of turbulence.

If you are right in front of the door there is a sizeable clear space behind your seat where people might congregate and talk loudly all night if you are trying to sleep, on the other hand you might like to occupy that space yourself and hold court!

Getoutofmygalley
24th Jun 2008, 09:43
Please tell me that BAA are not running an airline now, they can barely cope with running airports! :E

Union Jack
24th Jun 2008, 09:53
AHL

Have a look at the BA configurations at www.seatguru.com (http://www.seatguru.com) which should help to clarify the situation.

Jack

PS When you get to LHR you'll discover what Getoutofmygalley was talking about!

raffele
24th Jun 2008, 10:03
BA fly both the 777 and the 747 on the Kangaroo route. Having flown long haul in both aircraft:

If you are on the 747 (the timetable says you are) then go for one of the back three rows by the window, where there are only two seats. You get extra space down the side of your seat where the fuselage tapers in, and you get extra space for your feet where a seat would be if they could fit it in. The middle of the three rows is usually best as there is a gap nearly as big as a seat which is always nice =D The back row seats usually don't recline as much due to the exits, however the seat is still good.

If you are on the 777 then try for an exit/bulkhead row because the very back rows on the plane are incredibly cramped and there is no extra space.

As Union Jack says, check out Seatguru.com for other people's views on the seating

barry lloyd
24th Jun 2008, 11:34
If you are on the 747 (the timetable says you are) then go for one of the back three rows by the window,

What seat guru doesn't point out is that you'll be one of the last people off the aircraft and into the immigration queue, which will be long at the time you arrive. But if you've time to spare...

Globaliser
24th Jun 2008, 14:14
Can anyone suggest the best seat in economy for a flight from Sydney Australia into London Heathrow, i'm departing next Thursday 3rd July at 1635 with BA #0010On the 747 (as this should be), I would recommend looking first for one of the following: 28BCHJ or 29AK.

28BC and 28HJ are two-seat rows by doors 3. The legroom ahead of you is therefore pretty much unlimited - you only have the rearward-facing crew seat. There are no galleys or toilets here. These are probably the best.

29A and 29K are the window seats in the row immediately behind. Because there are no "window seats" (ie A or K) in row 28, you can get out of your seat by walking between 28B or 28J and the respective door. So these are window seats that mean that nobody will disturb you if you're sleeping, but you can get out without disturbing anyone else.

They are also the front-most rows of economy, so you'll be ahead of the rest of the cabin at immigration. Economy passengers on the starboard side of the aircraft (HJK) usually tend to get to disembark a little bit before the corresponding economy passengers on the port side.

But it won't surprise you to know that these are amongst the seats in highest demand from those who can pre-allocate seats, so be prepared to have to choose something else.

abL1011
24th Jun 2008, 17:43
Flew SIN-LHR yesterday in seat 52B. As has previously been said 52B or J are good seats due to the fact that you can stretch your legs into the space by the side of 51B (or 51J), albeit at a slight angle.

Rows 28 & 29 may not be available. There are 2 configs for the 747 and on some of them these rows are WT+ seats. My flights to and from SIN were both different configs, but you'll see which when you choose your seat.

www.seatexpert.com shows both configs.

Globaliser
24th Jun 2008, 17:53
I believe that BA9/BA10 is usually operated by the configuration with fewer Club seats and therefore with economy starting at 28.