PDA

View Full Version : $200,000 missing on Sydney-PNG flight

wessex19
24th Jun 2008, 05:02
source: AAP

Police in Australia and Papua New Guinea will investigate the disappearance of about $A200,000 in cash while it was being flown from Sydney to Port Moresby.

The currency was reported missing on June 13 after vanishing en route from Sydney to a Port Moresby bank, via Brisbane, PNG's Post-Courier reported.

The cash was being flown to PNG aboard an Air Niugini flight, through cargo processes operated by Qantas.

An Australian security company had ordered a PNG security company to pick up the cash from Port Moresby airport on June 7, but Air Niugini claims the cargo never made it to PNG.

Air Niugini, Qantas, three security companies and two freight companies are now looking at their records and interviewing staff to try to determine what happened to the cash.

Once these inquiries are complete, PNG and Australian police are expected to launch their own investigations.

An Air Niugini official declined to comment

indamiddle
24th Jun 2008, 06:50
check all the boogie boards into DPS today from oz. still plenty of time to check JQ35, not leaving mel until tomorrow due delays

Wod
24th Jun 2008, 07:49
About time we had an entertainment thread.

I'm getting tired of the twitter and bisted.

UPPERLOBE
24th Jun 2008, 07:57
Sounds suspicious indamiddle, is That What U want us to think?

Kiwiguy
24th Jun 2008, 08:20
When I threw bags for Air NZ we threw bags worth $2m several times a week. If you were really smart you could pre-plan how to slip a money bag into a small knapsack and have it collected off the carousel the other end.

Who's gonna bother reading the tags at the destination ?
You just need an accomplice the other end. Shhh ... I never said that.

By the way I hear Shappelle Corby is busy writing 500 lines.

"Sorry Aussie baggage handlers."

Can we now take it that Shappelle is forgiven ? :eek:

chimbu warrior
25th Jun 2008, 00:42
Wonder which politician it was on delivery to?

Pinky the pilot
25th Jun 2008, 00:57
A phrase from the movie 'Casablanca' springs to mind;

''Round up the usual suspects!'':E

Wod
25th Jun 2008, 06:09
Apparently it is "recovered"

Bank finds missing $200,000 | PerthNow (http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23919776-5012759,00.html)

But that still leaves open the prospect that it was nicked in the first place.

So more entertainment yet to come.

B A Lert
25th Jun 2008, 06:40
Some dodgy lawyer will blame the baggage handlers when mounting the defence for those charged with the job.

rammel
25th Jun 2008, 06:51
When I was on the ramp, unloading the gold you could have some fun. Before you opened up the aircraft you would ask the guard how many boxes there should be. Then you unload all except one, then start to unload the other stuff. You would see him count, then recount and then he'd call his mate over and count again. Then you'd say, oh I've found one more. You could see the look of relief on their faces straight away.

I never heard of cash going missing, but plenty of stories about gold bars. They were used as door stops etc for years and nobody knew what they were. Just a large solid object that had always held the door open.

The large cash shipments have serious security with them, you don't joke around with them.

Captain Nomad
25th Jun 2008, 09:55
Nomad just bought himself two new Landcruiser Troopies - one for himself and one for the wantoks... :E

Only Kidding! :ooh:

the wizard of auz
25th Jun 2008, 11:18
I was thinking it might be going off to support another "highly skilled and marketable" National pilots training program.
I guess not.

Flying Monk
26th Jun 2008, 07:26
Over the years this type of event (amongst other events) was always known as a "TANGFU".

For the uninitiated:
T stands for TYPICAL.
A stands for AIR..... need I say more;)

Then there was the PNG politician who got into trouble for racing a thorobred horse at the gallops in Victoria - the horse was named TANGFU!

HANOI
26th Jun 2008, 23:43
Wasn't it "Jabber Jim" Jacobi who raced TANGFU