PDA

View Full Version : Cessna XLS -any opinion?

suhoi27
23rd Jun 2008, 20:37
Just about to put some money down for new XLS I need to know:

1.WHo are the nearest competitors-pros and cons?
2.Operator opnions(compared to the competition)?
3.The value after few years in service?

thank you!

g4pilot
23rd Jun 2008, 21:27
I'm not very familiar with the XLS, however we do operate a couple of Citation III's as well. Might be worth while to look into the Citation III or VII. Cabin size is almost the same, but the Citation III and VII have much better performance with cruise speeds being between .80 - .84 MACH. Purchase price on a "good" C-III is around 4M USD and a VII is closer to 6.5M USD.
Besides being a much "newer" airplane with newer avionics and being much more docile to fly, you can get the same aircraft with decent avionics and a respectful cruise speed for over 5M USD less going the Citation III route.

Brizeguy
23rd Jun 2008, 22:13
Are you going for the XLS+ with Collins ProLine 21 Avionics and Fadec?
This is sure to be better than the Honeywell Primus 1000 system on the XLS.
From a maintenance point of view it's the easiest jet to work on.

airmen
24th Jun 2008, 18:02
Very nice aircraft, pax love it as I am.
Give us some info about your ops, from where and where you will fly...
private or commercial, hours per year etc. and I will give you my insight!

Ciao

suhoi27
25th Jun 2008, 05:28
thank you for your replies!
We do have Cj1+,CJ2+...and may be CJ3........however we would lke to expand our fleet one leve higher.
I was trying to find out which is the closest competitor of XLS with no success.
We operate charter in Europe and Middle East...

dc9-32
25th Jun 2008, 07:06
suhoi27

I have PM'd you with some info.

Rgds

Hasher
27th Jun 2008, 21:29
I'm on an XLS+ type rating in August!
It's cool for cats!
The best selling Super Light/ Mid size on the market!

Hasher:ok:

suhoi27
27th Jun 2008, 22:07
hopefully my boss will consider all these good opinions....and will replace Cj3 with XLS+

His dudeness
28th Jun 2008, 07:17
Sukhoi, just as a hint, we were considering anything from CJ ot Sovereign and focussed pretty much on the XLS - however in the end management decided to get a Sovereign.
They argued, whilst the XLS is a good performer and would have been sufficient cabin wise, the Sovereign gives you way more range at higher speeds for not that much more of operating costs. Also runway perfomance is better and the baggage space nearly unbeatable.
If you wanna fly regularly more than 1500nm with 8 people, the XLS is not the right airplane.

Resale value? There is no Cessan Citation of the youger generation that sells badly, even the 500 has a market. If the worldwide economy goes tits up, it will of course has its impact, but that is true for all airplanes IŽd say....

Treetopflyer
28th Jun 2008, 11:57
Suhoi27

The XLS's closest competitors would be the Lear 45 and the Hawker 750/800. There was an excellent article recently in the magazine "Altitudes", comparing the pros and cons of these three aircraft.

The XLS's advantages are its huge cargo compartment, economy, and larger cabin than the Lear. Its drawbacks are a somewhat slower cruise speed and a shorter range than the Hawker 800.

Put it simply, if I was a passenger or owner, I'd go for the XLS. But if I was a pilot, I'd definitely go for the Lear!

om15
28th Jun 2008, 14:18
Cessna paint jobs are not the best in the world, some low hour XL/XLS and 680 have external paint erosion and skin corrosion problems, if you operate or night stop in a coastal location make sure that you keep the aircraft washed and clean, Phase 6 or ID 22 checks should be carried out, also engine comp wash should be carried out regularly.
Engine bleed valve seats can corrode, then engine out and back to Pratts, very expensive. Airframe paint tends to go around skin lap joints and windshield areas.
Best regards,
om15