PDA

View Full Version : hey i think this is wrong place but ya no

daleandrewswire
23rd Jun 2008, 16:36
hi im a 13 year old and im just wondering will astma and hayfever effect my chances of getting this job. i have proceeded onto a engineering diploma at high school but now i have all my family saying i will not get the job. please write back.

Sonic Bam
23rd Jun 2008, 19:22
It shouldn't do but depends on the severity of your asthma. Hayfever will no effect your job chances.

As an aircraft engineer you need to be basically fit as you will normally be climbing up and down steps, lifting and carrying, etc.

Most aircraft jobs you will be on your feet most of the day but somebody will probably come back with a funny now about avionic line guys, sofas and tv's.

Eng AW139
24th Jun 2008, 02:04
My son who turned 15 last April also suffers from the same thing, but wants to follow his Dad into this trade and will apply for his college course next summer. He keeps fit by playing Basketball and swimming. As long as you keep on top and not let your body run down you can function as a Aircraft Engineer.

Cheers

SNS3Guppy
24th Jun 2008, 08:07
Daleandrewswire,

I'm a pilot and mechanic (engineer), and an asthmatic. Throughout my career, I've done a lot of jobs, among them a number of years as a firefighter on the ground, and in flight. Asthma hasn't stood in my way. I am not familiar with regulation in your location, if it's outside the US, but asthma shouldn't prove a barrier to employment as a mechanic, at all.

Capot
5th Jul 2008, 16:22
All of which proves the ancient truth...

Follow your instincts and on NO ACCOUNT LISTEN TO YOUR FAMILY, who know much less about it all than you obviously do.

N1 Vibes
6th Jul 2008, 01:29
Daleandrewswire,

I fully agree with Capot - don't stop what you want to do! If I get out of breath after running up the a/c steps when we have an AOG, then of course you can be an engineer.

Just a quick internet scan reminded me that Paula Radcliffe was able to break the womens world record for the marathon, and Mark Spitz can win 9 gold medals at the 1972 olympics as asthmatic's, don't let anything hold you back.

Good Luck, and look forward to you joining the fold.

Regards,

N1 Vibes

Speedbird48
9th Jul 2008, 01:51
Hi there,

I was a little younger than you when they told me I could never drive a steam train as I wore glasses!! The family had many civil engineering connections, and they intended me to go in that direction.

I discovered aircraft, and went from the boy that wiped the oil off and swung the propellers all the way to a Training Captain on a 4 engine jet by being detirmined that my eyesight and the hayfever, that actually went away after a few years, was not going to stop me. On the way I became an A&C engineer, a Flight Engineer, and also hold the American FAA A&P/IA certificates.

I now, 50+ years later still fly, examine other pilots, rebuild aircraft, and have fun. So please go where your heart says that you should go and with detirmination you will overcome the problems and make it to the top.

All the best.

Speedbird 48.