PDA

View Full Version : maximising download bandwith

Octane
23rd Jun 2008, 15:11
Hi all,

I'm in my hotel in Indonesia browsing PPrune with a new CDMA usb gizmo. It seem to work quite well and is economical with a fixed price of about 60 cents US per hour. The device cost USD70 plus USD10 for a prepaid card. I use firefox on an XP laptop. My question is what settings should I select/ deselect to allow max download performance. The quoted rate is 133kb/s but I'm guessing I can be more selective about what uses the bandwidth? i.e. can I choose to download text only? I really don't know...

Cheers

Octane

mutt
23rd Jun 2008, 16:33
Octane, please forgive me for not answering your question but asking you one :)

Is that device locked to a "Phone Provider" or do you expect to be able to use it in OZ? We are presently paying about $180 for CDMA modems in the Middle East, so it sounds like you got a bargain.

Cheers

Mutt

kwachon
23rd Jun 2008, 16:42
ditto the info here please

Octane
24th Jun 2008, 07:18
Hi Mutt,

The device is called a CDMA wireless data terminal and is not locked to a provider.

For example in Indonesia, there seem to be 2 cdma handphone service providers that have a joint venture with Indosat, the actual ISP. So I bought a Starone CDMA sim card separately (about $3.50) and use that in the data terminal. (comes with earphones and mic for voice calls but haven't tried that yet)

Won't work in Australia cos Telstra shut down the CDMA network last month!

Cheers

Octane

mutt
24th Jun 2008, 18:42
Thanks Octane.... googled the CDMA device and it just isnt fast enough for our needs. Our 3G system now supports 7.2G speeds (If we are lucky:))

Hope you enjoy Jakarta.

Mutt