PDA

View Full Version : flying schools in syd

thinkinglongnhard
23rd Jun 2008, 07:32
I was wondering if someone could give me the name of some good schools (fixed wing) in Sydney that i can go to full time. there seem to be a lot of options but which ones are the best for my development?

thanks

FlyCessna
23rd Jun 2008, 12:09
Thinkinglongandhard "there seem to be a lot of options but which ones are the best for my development?"

what are your intentions after your flying training? Instructing, Charter, Airline??

PyroTek
23rd Jun 2008, 13:51
I'd love to know this too.
I'm going for airlines, probably via the instructor route, if possible.
Any schools in Sydney who do VET FEE-HELP too? (since i'm a poor teenager!):ok:

Pyro

Cap'n Arrr
23rd Jun 2008, 14:13
Pyro - if you're going for instructing (or charter) route then I wouldn't worry about which school prepares you most for airlines. Go for a school that gives you exposure to a variety of aircraft and conditions, with a good theory side. Actually that goes for charter as well. Only people who should pick a flying school based on "Airline" are Indians etc who have first job in an airline, or those in a cadet/traineeship for an airline, and the latter group usually have the school picked for them. Either way the principle is the same, you want good quality instruction, and decent equipment (aircraft and briefing rooms etc) to learn in.

If you're planning to instruct, and also planning to do all your training at one school, then do your training at a school you'd want to instruct in. Most schools hire their own first. Option 2 is to just do a CPL/NVFR/CIR or whatever at the school you like the most, then do the instructor rating at the school you want to work at. Having said that the school I work at is not the school I did my rating at, although many instructors here did their rating here.

VET help etc, I'm fairly sure it has to be a CRICOS recognised diploma to qualify. If it qualifies, the school will tell you as it is a selling point for them.

thinkinglongandhard - what schools have you looked at so far? what sort of development? Just asking what school is too broad a question. Give us some info on where you want to go after your training, and the sort of training you are after, and we'll be able to give you advice. At the end of the day though, it's just advice, and you would be well advised to look at several schools, and seeing which ones you "click" with, then asking about them here.

Ssarkin
23rd Jun 2008, 14:29
Clamback and Hennessy is very good flying school, i highly recommend it!!

PyroTek
23rd Jun 2008, 15:43
Cap'n Arrr,
I would like to go from a school right to an airline, however, i'm pretty sure that in my position, instructing/charter is the easiest route...
I'm still juggling whether Charter or Instructing is the best route.
I'm thinking Instructing simply because it would mean I could stay in one place, preferably a city.
Unless I can find a charter job from a city (fat chance for a low hours CPL)

However, that is the future, right now i'm just trying to figure out a school which would be suitable etc.

Ssarkin:
Seems awfully cheap for a CPL compared to other figures i've seen.
http://www.clahen.com.au/PCLic.htm
are they omitting exam, licence, and briefing costs?

MOQ
23rd Jun 2008, 17:02
How are you suppose to SHARE command time???:confused::confused::confused:

http://www.clahen.com.au/PCLic.htm

PRIVATE LICENCE COST:
$ 7751.60.00(Warrior)
60 HOURS COMMAND @ $158.00/hr
$ 9480.00 (this may be shared)
25 HOURS DUAL @ $280.00/hr
$7000.00 (C182)
25 HOURS DUAL @ $194.50/hr
$ 4862.50 (Warrior)
Total
$29094.10
CPL GST free

REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN SHARE THE INCOMMAND TIME WICH WILL REDUCE YOUR COSTS – But you must be the holder of a Private License.

gettin' there
23rd Jun 2008, 21:05
www.airborne-aviation.com.au (http://www.airborne-aviation.com.au)

Lots of planes from nice new Cessna 172s and 182s to Tigermoths and a nice looking Pitts. :ok:

PyroTek
23rd Jun 2008, 22:31
gettin' there:
first line i read on that website:
"Flying is easy, affordable, fun and most importantly it is safe!"
:ugh:
I'll check it out though, thanks :ok:

Still open to more suggestions of good schools! I guess the more options, the better I may have it.

airman1
23rd Jun 2008, 23:08
Just do your home work , Clamback and Hennessy is a good school and look after there planes but …………………. You better PM me if you want any more info the mods will shoot me. They are cheap but u may find you have to do straight and level or stalls lesson more then once! This is only rumors but I have heard they make there money by doubling up on lessons because the has student has yet to grasp effects of controls. :bored:

I hired their duchess a year or so ago................. Nice aircraft :ok:

Check these schools out as well:

http://mail.whitworthaviation.com.au/

http://www.schofields-flying-club.com.au/

Ssarkin
24th Jun 2008, 00:53
I was a student at Clamback and Hennessy and they never did that with me, or with other students i know?

gettin' there
24th Jun 2008, 03:41
gettin' there:
first line i read on that website:
"Flying is easy, affordable, fun and most importantly it is safe!"
:ugh:

You disagree Pyro???

PyroTek
24th Jun 2008, 06:47
i disagree about the affordability bit..

Ultralights
24th Jun 2008, 07:26
Affordable? www.sydneyjabiru.com.au

Cap'n Arrr
24th Jun 2008, 08:36
Pyro - you trying for QF Cadetship then? Give it a go mate!:ok:

overhere
24th Jun 2008, 09:56
I'm thinking Instructing simply because it would mean I could stay in one place, preferably a city.
Unless I can find a charter job from a city (fat chance for a low hours CPL)

Please stay away from instructing if you are only doing it to stay in a capital city & to get hours - the last thing we need is more instructors who don't actually want to instruct.

There's heaps of sky diving jobs around Brisbane - why don't you try that once you have a CPL & leave the students to people who have a genuine interest in teaching.

Cap'n Arrr
24th Jun 2008, 10:04
With you on that overhere

If you're considering instructing for any reason other that "I want to teach" then you can stop considering, go do charter. It's bloody hard work, despite what people say about "But you don't fly the plane!" and theres a ****eload of work to be done apart from the flying. There's a good hour for each lesson of briefing (both before and after), and that's if you rush.

And don't get me started on the paperwork....:suspect:

Jay Bo
24th Jun 2008, 11:03
I too did my ppl with C&H and I'm still there hour building for my CPL. Took me 70 hours to get my PPL and never had to repeat any lessons so that they could make extra money out of me. :ok:

PyroTek
24th Jun 2008, 11:07
I just mentioned it would be an advantage to instructing in my case (completely omitting the opinion about whether I enjoy teaching or not).
However, I enjoy teaching things to people and I reckon I would enjoy instructing, honest:ok:
Instructing seems much more social than charter flying too, as in, you can build (professional) friendships with some students, and "give something back".

I think I'd like to be an instructor at a place which does charters occasionally as well, if possible. I am in an instructing kind of role at the stage crew (messing with lasers and stuff :p for all the laser target practice on aircraft fans - no i don't do it), but I tend to enjoy showing people how it's done and helpign them improve.
Not trying to turn this into a topic about whether I should be an instructor or not, that's in the future.

airman1
24th Jun 2008, 11:35
Every school has its good and bad points. It's all about finding the one that works for you!! It is important that you feel comfortable flying with your instructor if a certain school does just that then stick with them.

C&M are a good school and maintain their A/C, but there are other good ones out there. At least they have a few grade 1's that hang around. Can’t beat experience in this game:ok:

FITFTC
25th Jun 2008, 16:56
Well,Mate i would recommend you Basair Aviation college at Bankstown and their second campus is located at Cessnock.This College will provide you with all necessory knowledge that a successful pilot need to have:).
And if you want first to instructing then it is a chance.You study there and on completion of your Studies you can ask them for a job.Because there is shortage of instructors.:ok:.Well nothing is Certain but Basair overall is a good place to start.

PyroTek
25th Jun 2008, 17:07
FITFTC:
I have heard some negative press about the standard of BASAIR graduates around. http://www.pprune.org/forums/d-g-general-aviation-questions/287836-basair-flight-training.html - Could just be a few that tarnish the reputation for the rest.

There is also plenty of good press as seen in other threads, after a short search. I'll check them out though. :ok: