PDA

View Full Version : Nature Air/Sansa Costa Rica

Sweptwing21
23rd Jun 2008, 06:52
Hello everyone,

My wife is from Costa Rica, and I love it there. I have an FAA commercial pilot certificate with multi, instrument, along with instructor certs. all that good stuff.

Anyone know about aviation in Costa Rica. Any info on Nature Air or Sansa would be greatly appreciated. Hiring, requirements, quality of company, and flying in the country.

Thanks ! Pura Vida !

SAMFOX
25th Jun 2008, 23:12
First you have to be a Costa Rican citizen or have legal residence. You must have at least a CRC commercial lic,you have to take the written and flight tests(all in spanish).

The pay is low compared with US levels and flying in CRC is a bit dangerous,weather is harsh 6 months of the year.

Good luck

Check 6
26th Jun 2008, 01:28
Dangerous? More dangerous than driving a car in Miami? More dangerous than the thunderstorms in Miami today? More dangerous than the hurricanes that visit Florida?

Sweptwing21
26th Jun 2008, 04:41
Sam Fox makes a good point about the weather. The weather is similar to Miami at times, however, it has strong weather almost year round. With the exception of Jan., Feb., March.

More importantly, there are mountains, and high terrain in Costa Rica, where Florida is flat as a pancake. Not much to run into in South Florida.

Sweptwing21
26th Jun 2008, 04:46
Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the Costa Rican license. I met a medical examiner in Costa Rica, and he said all I had to do was convert my FAA license to a Central American license or something like that. He said it did not involve taking any written or practical tests.

Take them in Spanish ?? Is the national language for aviation, not English ?

All the ATC in Latin America is still in English, as far as I know. That's crazy !

Imagine if the US hired pilots, with the same system as almost every other country around the world. Only hire pilot's who were born in the US, over everyone else. Yet the whole world sends their pilots to the US to learn how to fly. Crazy !

Ok, rant off.. :}

Panama Jack
26th Jun 2008, 09:24
Well Sweptwing21, as evidenced by your rant it sounds like you've been given some bad information.

PIPE RIDER
26th Jun 2008, 19:14
1-you MUST speak Spanish
2-Exams written, oral and practical will be in Spanish. (CPL,IFR,ME)
3-ATC is spanish..

It is dangerous Flying in CR more than any of all the things said above , airstrips are short, loose gravel, No instruments app with IFR 65% of the year, using GPS with waypoints created by yourself or given by another pilot. local Pilots are very good and grew on the environment so they know their country.
Flew in there few years ago in my 182 and had to ask tooo many pointers, praying for the vor's to work but once you descend lose reception and you are on your own:{

Check 6
27th Jun 2008, 01:56
I have flown in Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, and it is not dangerous. If a specific flight is dangerous, then you should not takeoff. I live in Florida but don't fly here that much, but elsewhere in the world, including Central America.

Sweptwing21
27th Jun 2008, 06:21
That's for sure

guiones
28th Jun 2008, 05:49
Hey 21, a few pointers.

You can not fly in the US, EU or many other areas unless you are a citizen or resident, same applies to CR. With your Tica wife, no problem, just paperwork.

You must convert all your licenses to CR at the DGAC, you will have to do the written tests in spanish and airplane check rides in spanish. Several flight schools can be very big help.

ATC in CR for local airlines is in spanish, of course ATC is able to do it in english, but not the usual thing.

Flying is not dangerous, it is very, very different from the US. Only 1 ILS in the whole country and local airlines operate very challenging strips(not airports) under lots of different conditions; mud, loose gravel, cattle on the runway etc. Six months of rain, six of strong x-winds. It will make you a very good pilot.

If your intentions are bigger airplanes, Sansa is the right choice, it is a pilot feeder to Lacsa/Taca.

Even if you have all the requirements, no one is going to hire you without spanish.

Reward: living in heaven!!!

My advice, learn spanish from your wife or school, then do the rest.

PM me if you need more info.

G

Sweptwing21
30th Jun 2008, 09:37
thank you for the info my friend ! that was just what I was looking for. I'll shoot you a pm if I think of anything else.

I need to work on the spanish, for sure. :}

BUSTRASH
30th Jun 2008, 16:42
I doesnt matter if your married to the presidents daughter. No expats in domestic carriers in Costa Rica, Doesnt matter if your a legal resident with all appropriate conversions and ratings. The Director of flt ops of both carriers are very Costa Rican and will only hire locals.

Sweptwing21
1st Jul 2008, 22:52
That's not nice :}

SAMFOX
2nd Jul 2008, 02:02
Sweptwing,

If you have the required documents and qualifications you will get hired.You have to have all the paper work before you apply,they will not sponsor you. If you are really interested ,you will have to do the leg work.

Sweptwing21
2nd Jul 2008, 04:31
I appreciate everyone's input.

No problem with working hard, I am willing to do the leg work... But what about BUSTRASH's comment about domestic carriers in Costa Rica refusing to hire expats ?

It would be unfortunate to do all that work, just to be descriminated against for being a gringo; no matter if I had 1000 hours flying Space Shuttle Endeavour.

BUSTRASH
3rd Jul 2008, 07:13
Trust me I know Cap. Carlo Sosto / Nature Air and Alain Rojas/ Sansa. Dont waste your time in Costa Rica, get on at a regional in the US do your time and then look for something better.