PDA

View Full Version : Fordec

sing330
23rd Jun 2008, 04:45
Has anyone heard of this concept, it's an acronym for a decision making tool?

Cheers!

Flexi
23rd Jun 2008, 06:38
Now it is time for my first post here ;)

FORDEC is an acronym for

FACTS
OPTIONS
RISKS/BENEFITS
DECISION
EXECUTION
CHECK

It is a helpful tool to analyse and deal with non-normal situations that are not covered by the abnormal-checklists.

First of all, you try to collect all the relevant facts and define the different options you have (e.g. diversion, return to dep. airport or continue to destination). You assess then the risks and benefits of each option (e.g. wx, mx-base!? pax comfort and so on...) After you have made a decision, it is executed and you should thereafter check, if the desired outcome was achieved. If not, start with FORDEC again!

There is a time-critical FORDEC and a not time critical FORDEC. Difference: when evaluating the risks and benefits for each option, you are looking for the best option when you have no time constraints. But when things have to be decided as quickly as possible, you want to choose the first suitable option, which might not be the best...

I hope I was able to help out here...sorry, english is not my first language :}

Cheers!

411A
23rd Jun 2008, 10:31
I hope I was able to help out here...sorry, english is not my first language

No apology needed, Flexi, your explanation is very concise.

sing330
27th Jun 2008, 21:07
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

Now it's very clear.

Do you know of any major airlines using this tool.

Good Day!

Rainboe
27th Jun 2008, 21:23
BA uses DODAR- better and simpler. Diagnose Options Decide Assign Review. The Risks Benefits is an unnecessary step as it shouold be covered in your options anyway.

wap101
28th Jun 2008, 07:35
Anyone who uses NOTECHS behaviour marker system for assessment and evaluation of crew performance is using FORDEC. ( Everyone should be now as assessment and evaluation is mandatory in JAA compliant airlines.)

That was the decision-making model used in the development of research into NOTECHS and adopted and recommended by the JAA and UK CAA.

Risk was considered an essential component of the model which was missing from many previously used models. BA and many major and minor airlines now use NOTECHs adapted for their particular use.

Mephistopheles
28th Jun 2008, 08:01
We use FORDEC in Gulf Air as discussed above. It really shows it's worth when you have complex problems with many different solutions.

BOAC
28th Jun 2008, 10:00
I recall an extremely interesting article by a BA Regional captain in an internal mag which pointed out the pitfalls of 'enforcing' a rigid diagnostic structure on people, especially those who had an 'intuative' problem solving process. While we all agree some form of structured thinking is important he was, I think, essentially having a chip away at the intense effort BA were putting into DODAR (which was the 'baby' of a rising star). As always, 'horses for courses'.

Dirigible
28th Jun 2008, 11:02
I thought the C was for communicate?

CanadaRocks
28th Jun 2008, 12:18
At Etihad, we are just starting to use FORDEC. We used CLEAR before, but management is from Gulf Air now.

Both work as long as the crew uses them.

Mephistopheles
28th Jun 2008, 13:09
C is actually for Check & Review.

BOAC
28th Jun 2008, 13:39
Like all bandwagons on which people climb, these acronyms are just beginning to run wild! Let's see now, Enging Fire! Fire Drill No1, Eng!..........OK Captain....Now DODAR ......Excuse me Captain, we are using FORDEC now...........You sure its not 'CLEAR'?....Yes Captain............OK!..............er, 'Time not critical' FORDEC!.................Now, was that 'C' communicate or 'C' check...........oh my God!..................:)

Bring back sanity and clarity!

Edit: DECIDE!!

Denti
28th Jun 2008, 21:27
We used DODAR for quite a long time, no wonder as we were a BA owned business. However lately after an IOSA audit we had to switch to FORDEC. The difference is really that you have talk about Risk and Benefits, however of course any of those schematic CRM tools has to be adopted to the situation. If you do not have much time the options are few anyway, if you have time you can do a lengthy risk benefit evaluation.

Pugilistic Animus
29th Jun 2008, 07:20
The US FAA recommended model is DECIDE---as part of ADM Aeronautical Decision Making

Detect---the the change which occured
Estimate---how much corrective action applies
Choose--the best outcome
Identify---controlling actions
Do---them as necessary but be adaptive
Evaluate---the effects

CAVU

PA

mathy
29th Jun 2008, 08:06
No acronym. Just

Aim
Factors
Courses Open
Plan

IFLY_INDIGO
29th Jun 2008, 12:51
I believe acronyms discussed here works in sims or on ground... up in the air human mind works more intuitively and instinctively... (at least mine :E)

Micky
29th Jun 2008, 14:37
F First
O Officer
R Requires
D Decision off
E Experienced
C Captain

:ooh:

BITE System
29th Jun 2008, 18:21
In a time critical situation, FORDEC fast track……… Facts Options and decision.

Rainboe
29th Jun 2008, 21:24
In any emergency, first DWATUF:
Decide
Which
Acronym
To
Use
First

Then do nothing. Chances are that is the best course of action anyway. Then, either re-rack, or hit it with a hammer (solves over 50% of all known problems) .

EAM
23rd Oct 2008, 08:31
Hi guys,

I know FORDEC from my previous company, but I havent heared anything about this or similar in my present airline.
As I see it, it is a JAA requirement, so where can I find these requirements/definitions in the EU-OPS.

Thanks a lot.

john_tullamarine
24th Oct 2008, 00:10
Then, either re-rack, or hit it with a hammer (solves over 50% of all known problems)

.. now there's a man who understands electric aeroplanes ... the final fall back position, of course, involves matches ..:}