PDA

View Full Version : "Ready for take-off"

David Horn
23rd Jun 2008, 00:55
When requesting take-off clearance, I was taught never to use the words "take-off" unless reading back what the tower controller said. I'm out in Phoenix at the moment doing my flight training and I've heard the phrase "ready for take-off" used a few times.

Is this a US thing? I have to admit I got distracted today asking for the clearance and let it slip out myself, and since the controller didn't verbally slap my wrist I began to wonder. I'd have asked the instructor but forgot about it after take-off.

Cheers,

Dave.

Nashers
23rd Jun 2008, 01:00
if your ready to go you should say "redy for departure". never use take-off unless reading back a clearance.

ive never flown in the states but ive heard the RT is very slack over there and you tend to get away with quite a bit. in the uk though i dont think the CAA will like it too much if we use slang and the rest of it over the airwaves...

David Horn
23rd Jun 2008, 01:12
Thanks Nashers, that's what I thought. I feel so bloody stupid when I'm halfway through a radio call and realise that I've said something wrong, then the rest of it starts to fall to pieces too... a case of push TX button, disengage brain! :)

Keygrip
23rd Jun 2008, 03:40
Then, David, when you realise you have said something wrong - pause for a grillisecond, say "Correction..." and say it correctly.

Even if nobody else learns good RT practice from it - you will.

TheFlyingDJ
23rd Jun 2008, 06:21
Is this a US thing?

No, these mistakes are done in a lot of places where training is done.
Wordwide phrase, like allready mentioned, it ready for departure.

the RT is very slack over there.

I hear the same stories and not just about R/T.

Anyway a short history: this phrase rule is implemented after the Tenerife crash with the two jumbo's where poor R/T was one of the problems.

That is why one should only use take off in a clearance, like Nashers said.

I'll Be Realistic
23rd Jun 2008, 09:01
Many older pilot here in the US still use that term. There are still many WW2 and Vietman Vets, who had many thousands of hours before the Tenerife accident , after which I believe they changed the terminology.

They of course instructed people who then carry the same habit.

Not too comon here, but it happens. Never heard it from a controller though.

gfunc
23rd Jun 2008, 14:02
I think also "ready to go" is also accepted here (I have vague memories of seeing in in the FAR/AIM). It seems if you fly for Southwest you can just say "Ruddy" :). As said in the posts above the only time you say "Take-off" is when reading back your take-off clearance.

I always put on my best 'speedbird' accent and call "Ready for departure", which I also remember seeing in the FAR/AIM is accepted phraseology.

To be honest the R/T I've heard here is no more slack than in the UK. Perhaps as I'm in the northeast at a class C airfield there is a bit more professionalism, but even in Florida/Vegas I've never heard anything worse than in the UK. It may sound odd/slack to hear someone arranging a taxi by unicom, but that is what is what is designed for, in part.

Gareth.

Walk the line
23rd Jun 2008, 15:01
RTF in the States IS more slack. The term "Ready for departure" is the correct ICAO phraseology.

In the US - many pilots say "ready for take-off". The words "take-off" should only be used when acknowledging take-off clearance. The controllers there give "number four-cleared to land". This sort of practise is quite frankly dangerous.

AirFrance pilots speak in French on Charles De Gaulle approach while English is being used simultaneously-again..illegal and dangerous. (due Zagreb Mid-air collision in 1976) But we never learn!

nmcpilot
23rd Jun 2008, 15:38
Yes also in the US left traffic and right traffic patterns can be operating at the same time. In the Uk you will not be cleared to land until the RUNWAY IS CLEAR so you are ACTUALLY cleared to land... I don't really understand why they clear you to land when you have just entered downwind and say things like "follow the warrior, number 3 cleared to land"

Personally can't wait to get out of the god forsaken place that is US flying lol.

dartagnan
24th Jun 2008, 12:44
the right word is "we are good to go".

Walk the line
24th Jun 2008, 14:04
thats a sentence, not a word

just_go_to
24th Jun 2008, 15:22
Dave,

Due to the more relaxed RT environment that I found in the states I tried to stay as standard as possible. You'll find that if you get a bit slack during the initial part of your training then you'll find it even harder to re-learn the correct RT later on.

Hope you are enjoying PHX, it is a cool place.

Mercenary Pilot
24th Jun 2008, 15:47
Personally can't wait to get out of the god forsaken place that is US flying lol.

Wow! Your really gonna hate flying in the UK then because compared to the US it REALLY sucks!!! :rolleyes:

Prop meets tarmac
24th Jun 2008, 16:51
Fourth to land,amazing. Do you all get cleared for take off whilst doing pre-take off checks. Sounds like the reason why one light plane landed on another in the U.S.A. about a month or two back:D .