PDA

View Full Version : DSL

hopharrigan
25th Jan 2002, 20:06
Can someone please tell me how to get rid of the 'ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD' request when booting up? I did not give it a password but am annoyed that booting stops until I cancel it. I did not enter any password but still have to click ok.

Also, if I disable file and printer sharing, does that stop anyone from getting into my computer when I am on line? (all the time with ADSL).

I have Zone Alarm but if I put in any measure of security it stops access to web pages altogether. Is this the best they can come up with? It has to be simple for Mrs Harrigan to use. And for me too, especially if I cannot find my glasses. (much easier if I just drink from the bottle).

sanjosebaz
25th Jan 2002, 22:25
On the dsl questions:. .1) Disabling file/print sharing has no bearing on the ability of a rogue user to get inside your machine.... Hackers tend to use sniffer programs to access through a TCP/IP port. A firewall is a must! This is not unique to dsl, by the way - but the chances of a successful hack are increased the longer you remain online (via std modem or dsl). Also, make sure you have a virus checker. In the event that a hacker gets through, (s)he will try and leave something behind (like changing your boot parameters).

2) Surprised that your firewall is disabling normal web access - there should be something you can tweak to prevent that happening. I use ICE, and I am not prevented from accessing the web. I do need to occassionally stop the firewall "engine" in order to, say, receive a file via MSN chat (this is normally blocked because it is seen as an unsolicited send, thus could be a hack).

Hope this helps with a couple of your concerns, anyway.

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]</p>