PDA

View Full Version : Lost email Password

seacue
22nd Jun 2008, 11:56
I need to access my email accounts from my new computer. Unfortunately I failed to write down the password to one of the accounts. Duh!

It's in this old machine running XP and I use it with Thunderbird daily. The new machine also runs XP / Thunderbird.

I see various programmes to effect such a recovery. I'm concerned that some may be Trojans.

Is there any software, preferably freeware, that you can recommend?

I've done a PPRuNe search and failed to find anything.

Thank you,

seacue

kwachon
22nd Jun 2008, 12:59
Windows includes a hidden Administrator account that can be used for problems with other accounts. You can access it by restarting the computer into safe mode.
First, restart the computer. As it starts, repeatedly press the F8 key. Instead of the familiar Windows screen, you'll see a text-only Advanced Options Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode. Then press Enter.
Select the Administrator account. By default on most computers, it requires no password. Once logged in, you can change the password of the account you normally use.
To make the change, click Start>>Run. In the box, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and click OK. Select your normal account name in the list. Click the Reset Password button. You'll be prompted for a new password. You can restart the computer and use the new password on your normal account.

KW :ok:

P.Pilcher
22nd Jun 2008, 13:09
And I am in similar trouble with my hotmail/msn accounts does anyone know how to find these passwords, gaily displayed on the computer as ******** when I go into the MSN access program(me)

Thanks

P.P.

BOAC
22nd Jun 2008, 13:10
sc - try http://www.gtopala.com/ SIW. I have not found any nasties in it yet. Select 'secrets'.

kwachon
22nd Jun 2008, 13:41
P.P.

Try this link and just follow the instructions.

https://accountservices.passport.net/uiresetpw.srf?lc=1033

To use the MSN Password Reset page to recover your Hotmail password, you must must know four pieces of data:

E-mail address
Country/Region
State
Zip Code

Jhieminga
22nd Jun 2008, 13:48
Seacue, if you're going to use Thunderbird again on your new setup you might as well copy the thunderbird profile folder from the old computer to the new one, that will get you your settings, password and mail folders back on the new computer. For info: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
If you follow the instructions there but restore to your new computer you'll be up and running again.

You still won't know what the actual password was but you can still sort out that one later with the mail provider.;) At least you can email them about it.

Note: Kwachon's solution is for lost Windows passwords, not e-mail account passwords!

Background Noise
22nd Jun 2008, 14:08
seacue - PM inbound.

seacue
22nd Jun 2008, 14:10
BOAC, thank you a great deal. Just what I needed!!

The inhabitants of PPRuNe are an incredible resource.

Thanks to all the others as well.

seacue

P.Pilcher
22nd Jun 2008, 15:33
Agreed: and I am similarly indebted to Kwachon. Many thanks. I just hope that the system appreciates that in the U.K. there are no states or zip codes either!

P.P.

frostbite
22nd Jun 2008, 16:39
I have been using Passkeeper (freeware) for a number of years now. It keeps all my passwords, IDs etc., plus any notes I care to make on individual sites.

Of course, you have to remember the password you set to get into it!

jetcollie
23rd Jun 2008, 07:13
If you're using Thunderbird and your old machine is still up & running then simply open Thunderbird - select Tools - select Privacy Tab - select Edit Saved Passwords - select Show Passwords.

Keef
23rd Jun 2008, 23:22
jetcollie has the simple, effective fix.

I have so many pesky passwords that I keep them all in an Excel file that's on my PC, the laptop, and the PDA. I look at it almost every day.

Saab Dastard
24th Jun 2008, 08:55
I have so many pesky passwords that I keep them all in an Excel file that's on my PC, the laptop, and the PDA. I look at it almost every day.

Well I guess that's one step better than a post-it on the screen!

Here's a conundrum - if you encrypted the Excel file, where would you keep that encryption password, such that all passwords were in an encrypted file? Ad infinitum... it is the old "index of all indices" paradox, I think!

SD

smuff2000
25th Jun 2008, 16:00
In view of the excellent help given above I wonder if I could ask a question of the experts.

I run a laptop and a desktop both able to use thunderbird as the e-mail program, however as I can find no apparent way to synchronise the laptop to the desktop and vice versa when away using the laptop I read my mail on the web. This can be very tedious.

Does anyone know of a way to synchronise between the 2 machines.

BOAC
25th Jun 2008, 16:56
Cannot help with Thunderbird as I don't use it, but my system with O Express is to copy the mail folder onto a stick and load it in place of the existing on the other machine. It works a treat, if a little slow and 'low tech'. I also have a freeware sync programme 'GoodSync' but have managed to screw up my email database twice with that!

kwachon
25th Jun 2008, 17:11
Smuff2000,

Came across this article some time ago and seems to be what you are looking for regarding synchronising your computers

Sync thunderbird profiles and mail accounts between computers | The Internet Entrepreneur Diary (http://www.terencechang.com/2007/08/05/sync-thunderbird-profiles-email-accounts-two-computers/)

Hope it helps

smuff2000
26th Jun 2008, 16:13
Thanks KW that does seem to be what I needed.