PDA

View Full Version : IE6 major problems...

Skunkworks
24th Jan 2002, 17:29
After having some problems with new windows not opening properly in IE6 I did some changes in the settings and registry.

Now I realize I just made things worse... Now Internet Explorer wont load at all. When I click the icon it seems to load normally but then it just shuts down.

Now that Big Bill has managed to integrate just about everything running on your computer, I cant uninstall/re-install either.

As much as I hate saying it, Im not going to change to another browser - Im just too lazy and I have got used to IE. (Im using Netscape right now)

Help, anyone?

/skunks

sky9
24th Jan 2002, 18:45
Try reinstalling it. (most mags have a copy of IE6 on the disc) As a bit of a dummy myself I find that seems to sort most of my "private adventures into the OS" out.

WhiteSail
24th Jan 2002, 19:54
What operating system are you using?

Skunkworks
25th Jan 2002, 04:35
Im using XP pro.

I have tried to re-install, but its impossible to remove the old installation. If nothing else works I guess I have to re-install XP.

Sometimes when I try to run IE6 the browser stays open for a few seconds but when I try to click something on the page it closes down again.

Groundgripper
29th Jan 2002, 20:18
I had exactly the same problem with a Win 98 set-up. I loaded IE6 off one of the free CDs in Computer Shopper magazine which also had the Tiscali ISP software on it - BAD move!!. .The first thing I noticed was that the Freecell game would not run (OK, I'm sad). Then everytime I tried to use any of my internet connections the machine would dial up, connect, put up the IE page and then tell me it could not connect as the page was not available or due to a DNS error. I tried to uninstall IE6 and appeared to have succeeded, but still got the same message. Couldn't uninstall IE completely so it was backup everything, restart in DOS, format C and start again from scratch! Drastic, but it worked. I don't think I lost anything significant, just most of a weekend. I wondered if it was the Tiscali part of the software but they were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, tried one 0870 number then two different 0906 numbers at 50 pence a minute. I think the moral is never to trust anything given away free in a computer magazine.