PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Private Networks (aka. VPN's )

CrashDive
25th Mar 2001, 00:07
Ok folks, I'm mostly quite au'fait with the technology, even the best of us are occasionally in need of some extra info - so here goes ...

If I wanted to set-up a VPN is it necessary to have the server-side / firewall / gateway / router connected to a line that provides a permanent IP address. Personally I'd say that it was, but I recently read that a VPN can be set-up to use a ISDN at the server end (?!)

Generally, do any of you have much exposure to the installation and set-up of VPN's and (if a permanent IP is required) what are the typical costs of a leased line and who has the best deals ?

Thanks in advance ......

------------------
CrashDive

Administrator to The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

May you live in interesting times !

Bailed Out
25th Mar 2001, 05:06
CrashDive, I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

A permanent IP address does not indicate a permanent connection IE Leased line, Frame relay, SMDS, ATM or "nailed up" ISDN.

All "permanent" relates to is a consistent static IP address as opposed to a dynamically assigned one (which could, by its nature, change)

The reasoning behind using a permanent IP address is for the wide area connection and unless someone has physical access to this it can remain secure as the rest can be hidden behind network address translation or its granddaddy PAT.

A VPN only amounts to a secure (?!!) tunnel through any wide area or local connection you care to name, the connection does not have to be permanent so ISDN or other dialer services can be used.

Any service provider you go to would provide you with an IP address for the connection termination. After that the Ethernet (?) connection to your machine could be by either permanent IP's or Dynamically assigned to your host/server via your WAN connection termination equipment or even from the service provider by way of helper services.

If you would like me to expand on this then say so and I'll email you a phone number.

A Leased line will cost you thousands ££ per annum even for 16kbits (assuming you’re in the UK)

Regards.........Bailed.

(Cisco as well as Aviation professional)

CrashDive
25th Mar 2001, 12:52
Yep, you've hit the nail precisely on the head, I wasn't sure just what was meant by permanent.

I've an urgent need to get a VPN up and running. The site in question has access to their ISP via a fire-walled gateway and ISDN. Of course what they want to be able to do is to have folks be able to gain access into the company network from outside the office walls - over a VPN.

Now I was reading some information on VPN's (http://network.fament.com/helmig/j_helmig/vpn.htm) which seemed to suggest that you could accomplish this with just an ISDN at the office server end ( Click Here to see what I read (http://network.fament.com/helmig/j_helmig/vpnrasin.htm) ) - that said, I still can't get my head around how it could work - duh - am I missing the plot here ?!

Could I ask you to have a read of the above link(s) and please pass your thoughts accordingly.....

Ps. Imho, the site referenced above is top stuff !

------------------
CrashDive

Administrator to The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

May you live in interesting times !

Bailed Out
25th Mar 2001, 19:28
CrashDive, I know where you're trying to go with this and it is very straightforward technically. Unfortunately the providers can see the enormous benefits to this and so charge the earth to allow you to do so.

I've sent you an email with my phone number, give me a call tomorrow and I can offer you some alternative solutions.

Regards..........Bailed.

What_does_this_button_do?
29th Mar 2001, 01:13
Crash - been doing VPN for 3 years now - e-mail me if you still need help.

Buttons