PDA

View Full Version : Scott Kalitta Killed

Sleeping Freight Dog
21st Jun 2008, 23:04
Watching ESPN here in the US, they broke in with a story that says that
Scott Kalitta, Funny Car driver and owner of Kalitta charters has been killed
in a crash at Englishtown NJ. I know there are many stories about Scott, but condolences to the Kalitta family and Kalitta charters and the Airline.

CR2
21st Jun 2008, 23:11
I was thinking of nipping over there to watch the race....

Sleeping Freight Dog
21st Jun 2008, 23:13
It has been confirmed now by the NHRA. Terrible crash!

CR2
21st Jun 2008, 23:19
ESPN2.

Am glad I didn't go. Watched the footie instead. :(

Cee of Gee
22nd Jun 2008, 09:39
Indeed a terrible crash. How many times do we see the drivers of NASCAR, NHRA and Indy etc. walk away from these - unfortunately not this time....
There's a link on the Chicago Tribune website to the accident run.

Sympathies go out to the Kalitta family and team.

C o' G

(SFD/ CR2 - Did the run off look adequate)

deltayankee
22nd Jun 2008, 17:44
How many times do we see the drivers of NASCAR, NHRA and Indy etc. walk away from these - unfortunately not this time....

Dragsters often burst into flames at high speed but most times the driver escapes unhurt. In this case the video appears to show the car running into a concrete wall at the end of the strip. More space and more gravel at the end might have saved him.

fleigle
22nd Jun 2008, 20:21
It would have taken a hell of a lot of space and gravel to have stopped him from an estimated 300 mph!!!
It looked like the chutes were tangled, they sure were not coming out cleanly.
A horrible crash.

Earl
22nd Jun 2008, 21:32
Very sad day for the Kalitta team.
Sympathy and prayers for all there.

MAN777
23rd Jun 2008, 00:41
Never quite got to grips with what makes someone want to do this as a sport.

Sympathy to family and friends but how can you feel sorry for this family man who by his own pursuit of adrenalin has denied his family his future presence, this is not sport its a form of russian roulette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

BenThere
23rd Jun 2008, 01:04
There will always be folks out there on the edge. That's a discussion for another time. For now, my thoughts are with the entire Kalitta family, for whom this must be the toughest of times.

By the way, Connie is one of the truly colorful, successful, and genuinely self-made men in aviation. He's built his company into one of the largest, most profitable heavy freight air carriers in the world, all privately held and on his own terms.

My best wishes and condolences to Connie and his family during this time of grief.

Junkflyer
23rd Jun 2008, 03:40
Top Fuel Funny Cars/Rails are business as well as sport. Connie has been racing for years upon years. It was in Scott's blood, not just a weekend diversion. My heartfelt thoughts to all the family and friends.

Ballymoss
23rd Jun 2008, 22:29
how can you feel sorry for this family man who by his own pursuit of adrenalin has denied his family his future presence

And flying is safe..........until something we cannot control occurs, at which
point it's all gone wrong!

What a sad and miserable world it would be if we were denied 'the buzz'.

Now, anyone who goes out expecting to be killed in pursuit of their thrills
can only be considered dangerous:=

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

L-38
24th Jun 2008, 19:28
So sad!
This may well be history repeating itself . . . . . Robert Prescott (founder/ CEO of Flying Tiger Line) fell to pieces after the loss of his son (son died in an airplane crash). Arguably, this incident had soon caused Flying Tigers to go downhill, resulting in it's sell to FedEx in 1988. Prescott simply lost his will to live. . . . Same with Dean Martin after his son's ANG F-4 Phantom crash, however Dean did not own an aviation company.

Air1980
25th Jun 2008, 05:42
Well that's uplifting, thanks L-38......How about we just stick to condolences etc and not try and predict the downfall of the entire company, thanks.

L-38
25th Jun 2008, 17:11
A little to touchy there, air. My condolences abound. Although historic and informational, I don't play ostrich.

Make up your own posting rules on your own website.

Air1980
25th Jun 2008, 20:20
Not touchy at all, just tired of people predicting the sky is falling! Scott died; very sad, condolences to the family. I think that is bad enough news. Now, does one really need to continue with predicting the downfall of a succesful niche carrier, with all the bad stuff that entails?

I am not trying to set rules ('cause I can't) merely stating my opinion, as can you.

By the way, the Kalitta website now has a page devoted to Scott for those that are interested.

Junkflyer
26th Jun 2008, 04:59
If you knew Connie no doubt you'd know he is much stronger than that. I'm sure he is hurting, though he is well aware the dangers of drag racing. Why do you think he only has one eye?