PDA

View Full Version : Sea Harrier photos from Falklands War - my dad? (E-J)

Anna E-J
21st Jun 2008, 18:09
Hello,
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right bit or not, and it's a bit of a long shot...
My father, Lt Cmdr John Eyton-Jones, a Sea Harrier pilot from 801 Squadron, was killed in the Falklands War (6th May 1982). He was on HMS Invincible.
We got his camera back afterwards, but with no film in it (?). Anyway, i've never seen any photos of him on ship in those few weeks since the start of the war.
Does anyone have any photos of life on the ship, either of relaxation time on the journey down to the South Atlantic, or of the Sea Harriers taking off etc. I would be thrilled to see a new photo of my dad...
I am amassing a collection of Falklands and Sea Harrier memorabilia for my 3 kids, all boys under 6. They are fully aware of what Grandpa John did and how he died and are very proud of him, as i am. It would be great to have a few candid "snaps" rather than the regular Squadron posed photos.
Thanks for any information you might have!
Anna :)

Lurking123
21st Jun 2008, 18:20
Anna, you've picked exactly the right place. Good luck in your search.

Beatriz Fontana
21st Jun 2008, 18:43
Anna,

Just sent you a PM....

airborne_artist
21st Jun 2008, 18:48
Anna - have you been in touch with the current guys at 800/801 NAS? I can give you contact details if needed.

The Fleet Air Arm Officers' Association may be another good start - again, I can put you in touch.

BOAC
21st Jun 2008, 19:08
Anna - I had the great privilege of operating with your father in Belize on a couple of occasions. I regret I cannot help with any photos etc, but I too wish you well in your search. A fine man.

Anna E-J
21st Jun 2008, 21:38
I can't beiieve i have had 5 replies from people in one evening alone! Thanks guys - it means a lot.
BOAC i am almost embarassed you knew my dad in Belize - by all accounts (from my mum) my dad had a complete party mentality and was pissed the whole time he was there!
Thank you - i await further info! x

BOAC
21st Jun 2008, 22:09
Don't be embarrassed - I was too!:)

x213a
22nd Jun 2008, 07:40
This may be stating the obvious but...are you aware of these on google?
Is that him?

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=Lt+Cmdr+John+Eyton-Jones&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Good luck:ok:

MightyGem
22nd Jun 2008, 09:04
Anna, in case you missed it on that Google page:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sama82.org/garden/images/e-j-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sama82.org/garden/0/8/9/home.htm&h=240&w=195&sz=8&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=NjPK9wM0CQL38M:&tbnh=110&tbnw=89&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLt%2BCmdr%2BJohn%2BEyton-Jones%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

fade to grey
22nd Jun 2008, 09:38
Good luck in your search Anna,
I was until a couple of years back working with Hugh Slade -who was ,it appears, one of the replacement SHAR pilots who ended up on 801 NAS (I think),

Unfortunately he has now retired to sunnier climates but he may have some stuff if he is reading this....

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Jun 2008, 10:11
Anna, I will keep your post on the top shelf for a few days to ensure that you get the most, perhaps all, info that's available.

Plain to see that your pride is well founded.

Best wishes to you and your kids.

PPP

Pontius
22nd Jun 2008, 13:36
Hi Anna,

Have you spoken to the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton? They (used to) keep all the line books etc from the squadrons and, with suitable censorship applied to the viewing of such, would surely contain evidence of your Dad at work and play. One thing I can guarantee is that he flew a toy that was brilliant fun and for the best of the squadrons :ok:

Big_les
22nd Jun 2008, 14:21
Best if you can phone them and try to speak direct with someone in the archive. And name drop, too - not sure if it's still the case, but they used to have a 1 year waiting list for public enquiries. Pretty sure they'd waive that for somebody like yourself.

angels
23rd Jun 2008, 09:40
Back to the top.

Best of luck in your hunt Anna. Your dad was a hero.

Anna E-J
23rd Jun 2008, 09:44
Thank you all for your kind suggestions!

I have seen the stuff on Google and the SAMA82 site, which is great.

I will definitely contact the Fleet Air Arm museum archive people. I hadn't thought about that before. Good idea!

Thanks again everyone, very pleased to have had so much input and support from you. x

OKOC
23rd Jun 2008, 12:35
Anna,

I had the honour of knowing your father very well when I was based at RAF Wittering in the early 80's. I worked in Ops but deployed on exercise with
1(F) Sqn to Norway (Tromso) twice and Germany (Gutersloh) twice. EJ was the life and soul of the sqn and was respected and admired by everyone he met. He ALWAYS had a lovely twinkle and sparkle in his eyes and that you just couldn't help but smile when he entered the room. I shared many a beer with him and other such stars as Malcolm White--he was a legend in his own lifetime (I think he bounced a Phantom off the sea and got away with it!! before he went onto Harriers ) I quite often think about him and that fateful day when EJ and Lt Curtis? never came back. Please give my best wishes to your Mum too--Sally used to cut my hair when you lived at Ketton. With very, very best wishes.

OKOC
23rd Jun 2008, 12:55
Anna--here are some links to some pictures:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.targetlock.org.uk/seaharrier/invincible.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.targetlock.org.uk/seaharrier/service.html&h=480&w=350&sz=30&hl=en&start=13&um=1&tbnid=OjUNVQUTCU86PM:&tbnh=129&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3D6%2Bmay%2B1982%2Bfalkland%2Bislands%2Binvincibl e%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/R.A.F.%20Royal%20Navy.htm
http://www.freefoto.com/browse/22-04-0?ffid=22-04-0
http://www.navynews.co.uk/falklands/gallery/gallery_harriers.asp#

and some info:
http://www.operations.mod.uk/falklands25/FLEET%20AIR%20ARM%20UNITS%20REPRESENTED.doc

Navaleye
24th Jun 2008, 09:27
Anna,

I never met your father, but I was around at the time and I know he was very highly thought of and respected. Sharkey's book puts it very well.

Kind regards,

Navaleye

Fly3
24th Jun 2008, 11:22
Dear Anna,
I served on Ark Royal with your dad he was flying Phantoms with 892 on Ark Royal. He was a gentleman and a scholar, and bloody good fun in the bar as well. Good luck with your search.

andyy
24th Jun 2008, 14:18
I don't have the books to hand to check on their contents but the following books may be of help:

Sea Harier over the Falklands - Cdr "Sharkey" Ward
Air War South Atlantic - Alfred Price & Jeffrey Ethell

There are probably others. Good luck.

spheroid
24th Jun 2008, 18:35
Anna. PM me. I knew your dad.....

haltonbrat
24th Jun 2008, 21:03
I was one of the sergeants running the line on 1(F) in 1978-79 when your dad was there . A good bloke, nice to see him remembered by so many.

Bill16STN
25th Jun 2008, 12:01
Good Luck!

My brother was a PO on Hermes with FAA SHAR squadron.
He had a "walk-on part" on the ITN News at Ten on evening.

Bump!

I. M. Esperto
25th Jun 2008, 16:37
Here's a link of interest:

AirToAirCombat.Com: BAE F/A.2 Sea Harrier in Detail (http://www.airtoaircombat.com/detail.asp?id=117)

Double Zero
25th Jun 2008, 16:49
Anna,

I was a photographer at Dunsfold where all Sea Harriers were built & test flown; my own archives are limited but I do have access to a museum which should have all the shots I took, + many more...

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Andy

John Farley
25th Jun 2008, 18:31
I.M.Esperto

I am not sure why you suggested Anna might find the link you posted useful but I had a look at it and feel obliged to comment.

The story by Greg Goebel under the side bar of Origins has some serious errors of fact. One example is his version of Camm’s letter to Hooker. I attach a copy of the actual letter for you to see what I mean.

His version of how the BE53 came to grow a pair of rear nozzles and so became the Pegasus made my jaw drop. In my view there were many other errors (or repeated myths) but this is no place for such a list. However history deserves better.

Regards

JF

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/Cammletter.jpg

QWIN
25th Jun 2008, 22:01
Anna,

I have been watching this thread for a few days and wondering whether I should contribute. I also realised that your Dad would have been 65 this year which in itself is frightening because when we first met I think he was a mere 27 years old.

I flew with E-J when I was a student on the Vixen training squadron, 766 NAS, and he was an instructor. I then did a short spell on 893 NAS on HMS Hermes before she was decommissioned in 1970. I was then despatched to 899 NAS to join HMS Eagle's air group. It was my good fortune to be crewed with E-J for the latter part of 1970 until around February 1971 when I suspect he left 899 to go to the States.

Your Dad was the only fighter pilot I ever knew who could do an hour's air combat at fairly constant high g and lots of aggressive manoeuvring and climb out of the aircraft without a trace of perspiration or exertion. More importantly, no sweat or otherwise, we invariably won. E-J and I shared an experience in a Sea Vixen that is worth relating and before I start the story I should say that the events I relate reflect no criticism of E-J's flying skills, indeed exactly the opposite because with a less capable pilot I suspect we may have left this particular Sea Vixen to its own ends in the Irish Sea. My log book entry merely says: 25 Jan 1971-XN657-Lt Eyton-Jones-Low Level Intercepts, diverted RAF Valley-1hr50mins. This was the final day of HMS Eagle's work up in UK waters before heading for the Mediterranean.

E-J and I had launched off Eagle mid afternoon to do low level radar intercepts against another Sea Vixen in the Irish Sea. Because the Vixen radar could not see targets well looking down against the sea, the recognised technique was for the fighter to fly low to pick up the target. It was a fairly rough January day over the Irish Sea and during the course of the sortie we accumulated a fair amount of salt spray on the windscreen. The Sea Vixen dispersed rain from the windscreen with a hot air blowing system...no wipers, no washers. This did nothing to remove the salt layer, but that was OK E-J could see well enough to get us home to “mother” with no problem. All was well until we turned finals for the deck and came back to landing speed, this raised the nose and this combined with the fact that the ship was steaming straight into the setting sun turned the slightly opaque windscreen into a white sheet through which E-J could see absolutely nothing. He called for a voice talkdown, this was a practised procedure whereby the landing sight officer (LSO) gave instructions over the radio to allow you to land on the deck when you could not see the “landing sight”.

We missed the wires on the first 2 attempts to land and before the final approach E-J and I discussed the fact that if we missed the next time we needed to divert to RAF Valley. On the 3rd approach we were about 400 yards from the back of the deck when the LSO's radio failed....Flyco (the ultimate authority over deck operations) decided that we were too close to safely be instructed to “wave off” or go around. Instead he took over the talkdown but without the accurate references available to the LSO. The net result was that we came over the back end further right than we should have been, only about 22ft but it shows the accuracy required. I was aware that we were further right than I had ever seen before through my back seater's small window by my right knee. We both felt a thump but the aircraft was still moving at 130 knots or so, everyone had stopped talking on the radio, I started to eject but then thought better of it as I managed to see aspects of the deck which were familiar. I called our speed and a heading to RAF Valley as we left the front of the carrier. We had concluded that we were flying and E-J was in control of the aircraft, having shared a few expletives and the fact that we had both nearly ejected. About now Flyco called “Don't eject, don't eject...check your hydraulics you have lost half your starboard wing.”

Helpful! We set off for Valley and decided we didn't have enough fuel to get there unless we raised the undercarriage to reduce our fuel consumption. So E-J selected undercarriage up at which point the aircraft turned itself violently upside down, he regained control by putting the undercarriage down again and we proceeded to land at RAF Valley very short of fuel, having found a rain shower on the way to wash the windscreen. The fact that we got this wreck safely on the ground at RAF Valley was entirely thanks to your Dad's innate skills in an aircraft, his reactions in a truly life threatening situation were instinctive and intuitive…and right. He wasn't even perspiring when we landed off this one. Some after the event issues; A Sea Vixen pilot cannot see the end of the wings from the cockpit, so it was only after we landed at Valley that we saw what we had done. 8ft of the starboard wing was missing and the aileron was hanging vertically down behind the starboard undercarriage leg...hence turning upside down when we tried to raise the gear. We got a bol****ing from OC Flying at Valley for not declaring an emergency...we thought the ship had told them. Everyone at Valley seemed to have given up smoking and we couldn't scrounge a fag from anyone. Eagle sent a helicopter to take us back on board and upon alighting on the flight deck we were instructed to report to the Captain on the bridge.

His words will live with me forever; “Not your fault E-J, bit of a c**k up in here.” Turning to me he said “So you're a crab are you, that will show you what the Navy's all about. Pair of you go and see the Doc.” We had hit a Buccaneer, a fork lift truck, 2 Sea Vixens and another Buccaneer during our brief excursion along the deck of Eagle. The Doc was a famous FAA doctor whose name I will not mention. He took our pulses and blood pressures and determined that we were a bit excited, opened his desk drawer, removed a bottle of brandy and said “Drink half of that between you and I'll declare you fit to fly in the morning.” He did, and we did.

Anna, your Dad was the most convincing and capable fighter pilot I ever flew with, and I flew with a lot over the next 25 years.

Qwin

xrba
26th Jun 2008, 00:47
Anna, Dino's excellent site, Sea Vixen. Royal Navy. Carrier Jet. - Home (http://www.seavixen.org/) has details of this incident from the outside, and much else. Tony Buttler's first rate book, "The de Havilland SEA VIXEN" published by AIR-BRITAIN is also a terrific evocation of those times and also provides many other interesting tales from those days with references, of course, to Richard as well.

I can remember E-J, with some marginal assistance from me, hacking a Phantom at night during 892's ORI. In it's haste to escape us the F4 managed to drop a boom over Tiverton, to the surprise of the locals, and our great amusement in the debrief.

25 years of being terrified by assorted fighter pilots must qualify you for something Mick, but I'm not sure what!!

Snapshot
26th Jun 2008, 08:53
Dear Anna,
I never knew your Father, in fact I was simply a lad when all the events mentioned on this thread were unfolding,
however, I simply wanted to comment on how moving the stories are that many are sharing with you!
Its rare to find out about ones parents in this way as I guess they are things they would not share with their children, even if still here!

You must be extremely proud to read these comments and as I have followed the thread from the outset,
I must admit to having a lump in my throat and a smile after reading QWIN's message!
From what started as a request for photographs (my own forte) you have, I feel gained much more and your children are going to
be in for some AWESOME insights into their Grand Father's world and life as a FJ Pilot!

I sincerely trust many more share their memories of this clearly able and respected man and aviator and also
im sure if he is looking down reading all this, he must be a happy and equally proud man!

Best of luck in yr search
AB

peppermint_jam
26th Jun 2008, 10:01
A very moving and positive thread showing that the internet has many good uses. On looking through the links mentioned previously the following poem was posted here.

The South Atlantic Medal Association 82 (http://www.sama82.org/garden/0/8/9/home.htm)

A tribute to E-J

This poem, entitled Remembrance, was composed in tribute to 'E-J' by Lt Cdr David Morgan DSC, a fellow Sea Harrier pilot. 'Mog' was a good friend who later on became brilliantly successful in his own right during the Conflict

Somewhere a skylark sings
With joy, above the field and coombe
Where once he walked, soft-footed,
'Cross the deep spring-scented leys,
Where chuckling brook, cold crystal
Clear, tumbles and trills 'twixt
Banks of peppermint and thyme.

Where once his voice laughed out
In praise of field and sky,
And body swam the heady main
Of Nature's sweetest scents
Upon the passing of the rain,
And languid willows trail
Their fronded fingers though the stream.

Forever stilled now lies this voice,
Hard by some forbidding shore,
In grave unmarked, 'neath seas
That roam from Horn to Africa.
Yet lives his spirit still in Spring,
And song of birds, and scent of
Cleansing rain, in this green land ...

A fitting tribute to a brave man, a hero and by all accounts an exceptional Pilot.

I hope the many replies to your post have made you proud. My Father served as groundcrew with 1 Sqn on the Hermes during the Falklands war, They were brough back from Canada at short notice IIRC, I will ask him if he has any memories or photographs of your Father.

airborne_artist
26th Jun 2008, 10:12
I've had a look through the Sea Vixen site. The roll of honour mentions Lt R Eyton-Jones who was killed in 1962 - is he your uncle, or a cousin of your father, Anna?

Also mentioned on the roll of honour is the father of an old girlfriend - he was killed when she was six. I took her to lunch in the College one Sunday at Dartmouth, and in the Chapel she saw (I think for the first time) the memorial to her father. She married into the Navy, but I think her mum made sure it wasn't a flyer.

Anna E-J
26th Jun 2008, 13:05
Dear all,
Reading all of your messages has just been so amazing. I knew my dad was liked in general, but hearing such lovely things said about him has really made me feel especially proud. Not just for being a "Falkland Hero", but proud of him as a Man.
It saddens me that I didn't know him as an adult. He died when I was 10 and I only ever knew him as a Daddy. I would love to be able to sit down and quiz him now about what he had done through his life and the adventures he had, places he'd been.
Thats why hearing these tales, which have nothing to do with regular family stuff, are so moving. They offer some insight in to him and his personality, and how other people saw him, which is actually way better in the end than some faded photographs.
Your kindness, offers and poignant memories have completely overwhelmed me.
So a huge thank you everyone.
Anna x

Double Zero
26th Jun 2008, 13:09
Your story if true ( and I have no reason whatever to think it isn't ) ought to be in a book of somekind - too many of these things go unrecorded.

BTW I think the LSO / Flyco should have been b----ked on the spot for not reporting & forwarding your state.

Thank ---- the ' Vixen was the only thing De Havilland's over-built !

peterperfect
26th Jun 2008, 14:36
Anna,
I know its not directly associated with your Op CORPORATE/SHAR enquiry, however the 4th Ark's Final Commission Book can be found online at:

HMS Ark Royal index page (http://www.sjgl.co.uk/ark-royal/index.htm)

Your dad is listed on the Ark 892 NAS photo which you have probably got already, but the commission diary should be interesting. My last encounter with him on board Ark (I flew on another Squadron) was possibly during a night low level mass disorganised formation carpet bombing sortie.....commonly known as mess rugby !!! the real reason we wear squadron cummerbunds; to ID your team mates.

also some 892 snaps here: Phantom F4K, Fleet Air Arm. Royal Navy. - 892 Squadron Photographs > 892 Squadron Photographs (http://www.phantomf4k.org/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.nbfylhohuznllqcf)

Doesn't this thread prove how the bond of military aviation creates an extended family; it's not just nostalgia.

E-J was 'family'. Anna that makes you and your kids family too.
pp

Flagon
26th Jun 2008, 15:34
Anna - I too knew and worked with your dad in the dim and distant past. I had nothing really to add to what has been said here except that it fully echoes my memories of a great pilot and good 'mate', but feel moved to add that your last post gives me great pleasure in the way this forum has worked for you and in the way you feel now and see him.

I echo peterperfect's last line too.

This thread will stay on the site, hopefully for a long time, and if you haven't already, I suggest you get the posts saved for your family for the future. I'm sure one of the moderators here will be delighted to help if you need it.

Your kids one day will take pride in telling their grandchildren about 'E-J'.

Vive la Chasse!

PPRuNe Pop
26th Jun 2008, 16:00
Yes it will be archived.

All that needs to be done, now when it slides off the page and in the future, is to use the search facility and just enter E-J and it will return.

PPP

taxydual
26th Jun 2008, 16:38
For whatever reason the Falklands Conflict still mean an awful lot to me.

I didn't know E-J, our paths didn't cross. I knew of his death and was saddened. It was amazing (in hindsight) how the loss was felt amongst the guy's going 'into harm's way'.

What stunned me was OKOC's post, he included an Internet link for a Memorial Site.

index (http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/)

I didn't know of the existence of this Memorial Garden, but when opening the link, I was stunned to discover that would be visitors have to give ONE MONTH'S notice of their intention to visit it.

I fully appreciate security et al. But ONE MONTH. To honour our losses????

Flagon
26th Jun 2008, 17:01
and just enter E-JErr, sorry, 'Dad', but won't they need more than 3 letters?

Green Flash
26th Jun 2008, 17:04
Your story if true ( and I have no reason whatever to think it isn't ) ought to be in a book of somekind - too many of these things go unrecorded.

My thoughts exactly! Someone should write the book because it sounds like E-J was a bit (alot) more than just a good pilot and a decent bloke. Blimey, wipes half a wing off but he gets it back on the ground and he and QWIN walk away - now that takes SKILL:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
26th Jun 2008, 17:55
You're right Flagon, in which case just add brackets (E-J) - that should do it. Forgot about that - thank you 'son.'

GeeRam
26th Jun 2008, 22:09
Given E-J's exploits in a Vixen, it's an appropiate co-incidence that today the world's last airworthy Sea Vixen took to the skies again today for a test flight, after probably nearly a year on the ground due to lack of sponsorship.....:D

John Eacott
27th Jun 2008, 06:39
QWIN,

What a small world: I was in the planeguard for that landing of yours, and could hardly believe what I saw at the time :eek: Bits of Buccaneer and Sea Vixen followed your flight path off the angle, and there was the merest twitch of roll before E-J got it under control.

Anna, I'm away from home for a few months, but if I can find any relevant photos for you I will. I was also on Ark with 824NAS at the same time as E-J, 1973-74.

QWIN
27th Jun 2008, 09:13
I was always very comforted by the presence of the planeguard, and eternally grateful that I never had to call on your services.

A further footnote to the tale is that the complete film of our excursion along the deck was shown in the wardroom cinema that evening before the main movie. Believe me it was more frightening watching from the outside than it had been in the cockpit. This is probably because during the incident we only thought we had hit one thing!
I understand that the film is somewhere in the FAA Museum archives.

QWIN

Snapshot
27th Jun 2008, 10:05
So the next question is there anyone who can get it so we can all see this incredible moment? For Anna especially? :D

airborne_artist
27th Jun 2008, 10:22
From:Welcome to the official web site for the Fleet Air Arm Museum (http://www.fleetairarm.com/aboutindex.htm)

Centre for Naval Aviation Records & Research
Fleet Air Arm Museum
Box D6, RNAS Yeovilton
Near Ilchester, Somerset
BA22 8HT
Tel: +44 (0) 1935 840565
Fax: +44 (0) 1935 842630
E-mail: [email protected]

"The Records and Research Centre is open from 1000 to 1300 and 1400 to 1600."

Anna E-J
27th Jun 2008, 11:01
Hi I am Anna's partner, I have contacted the FAA museum and passed our request onto a man named Phil who is back in on Monday, they say they have probably still got the film in the archive and will do their best to dig it out , incedentaly the sea vixen in question xn657 according to the demobbed website now resides in Lavendon Bucks 10 miles from our house, its owned by a private collector so once again if you have a contact number or know who owns it please let us know, maybe the owner will let our boys clamber all over it whilst we take some photos.
On another note, I can't believe Anna's dad was so popular,we have learned things about him we never knew and for this we are eternaly grateful, my one regret is that my boys will never get to meet him but thanks to you all they shall certainly be able to read about him, so once again from Anna and I ,thank you all E-j was a lucky man to have had you as friends.
Kind Regards
Russ

airborne_artist
27th Jun 2008, 11:20
Russ/Anna - Or ask the owners of the one that's just got airborne again:

Drilling Systems (U.K.) Ltd
Hurn View House,
5 Aviation Park West,
Bournemouth International Airport,
Dorset,
BH23 6EW tel 01202 582255

The aircraft is based at Bournemouth/Hurn airport, I believe.

I don't think XN657 is at Lavendon - there's a cockpit at this museum (http://lavendonconnection.tripod.com/welcometolavendonnarrowgaugerailwaylngr/id6.html)
but it's not 657. Bits of 657 were at a scrapyard in Essex, but it's been broken up.

The closest to you may be the two Sea Vixens at the De Havilland Museum (http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/aircraft_in_collection.html) by J22 of the M25.

Seaking93
27th Jun 2008, 12:06
With reference to Phil at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, he will be back on Wednesday, thats if he survives Glastonbury.

MAINJAFAD
27th Jun 2008, 12:09
Junction 22 is the closest exit to Salisbury Hall from the M25 (a few hundred yards max), AA, not 23.

GeeRam
27th Jun 2008, 12:30
incedentaly the sea vixen in question xn657 according to the demobbed website now resides in Lavendon Bucks 10 miles from our house, its owned by a private collector so once again if you have a contact number or know who owns it please let us know, maybe the owner will let our boys clamber all over it whilst we take some photos

As 'airborne' has mentioned, it's not XN657 at Lavendon. The Vixen cockpit there is XN651.

Pretty sure XN657 or bits of it no longer exist. XN657 was in fact the lead conversion and test aircraft for the D.3 target drone conversion back in 1974.

Agree, the two Vixens at the DH Museum would be a best bet to go and see close up. I can send a PM request via another forum to one of the curators there and ask if they would open one up etc, if you would like.

There is another Vixen being worked on back to a potential 'live' but not flying state at Bruntingthorpe, along with a 'live' Buccaneer in RN colours, which isn't too far from you and may be worth a visit.

QWIN
27th Jun 2008, 13:01
Anna/Russ,

Sometimes coincidences get weird.

XN657 was returned to the Naval Aircraft Support Unit at Yeovilton for repair, on August 12 1971 I flew in the back again on its first flight after the accident. If as appears to be the case it no longer exists I am able to offer an alternative. On the previous trip that John and I flew on 23 Jan 71 we flew XS576. XS576 is in the Imperial War Museum at Duxford and I would be more than happy to show you around. XS576 is in 899 markings although it bears the names of another crew on the cockpit side.

Let me know.

Anna E-J
27th Jun 2008, 14:42
Seaking
I take from your comments you know "our man in the archive" if you could assist that would be most helpfull,a picture is one thing ,but a film clip of this infamous clipping would be great to see !
Regards
Russ Anna's partner

XV277
27th Jun 2008, 17:25
Russ & Anna,

Details of the surviving Sea Vixens are found here:

DE HAVILLAND SEA VIXEN - SURVIVORS (http://tinyurl.com/6rawju)

The site also has details of the surviving RN Phantoms. The only Sea Harrier FRS1 is at Yeovilton

exscribbler
27th Jun 2008, 22:11
Anna

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but have you tried Martyn Dean's Sea Vixen site at Sea Vixen. Royal Navy. Carrier Jet. - Home (http://www.seavixen.org/)?

Jetscream 32
29th Jun 2008, 08:23
Anna / Rus, call Compton Abbas airfield in Dorset and ask for Dave Morgan's number - he is still displaying a Yak 50 aerobatic aircraft mainly doing solo displays and his day job is a B747 driver for Virgin...

Dave knew your dad well and im sure will have photos of him down south - he may be at the airfield today as they have a big event on and he will probably be displaying

best of luck

johnfairr
30th Jun 2008, 10:16
QWIN, check your PMs

jf

Seaking93
2nd Jul 2008, 15:10
Phil returned from Glastonbury in one piece and says he will have a look for the film, however he does not recall ever seeing it, he remembers the incident as he was there at the time.

Anna E-J
3rd Jul 2008, 12:02
Thanks Seaking , I spoke to Phil yesterday , he was under the impression the accident occured in a Buccaneer so this maybe why he doesn't recall seeing the film, he did say he would do his best as he remembered E-J well and was Anna's gym teacher, thanks for your help though, we have had little luck trying to find photos but great feedback from everybody on the forum.
Regards
Russ

QWIN
4th Jul 2008, 21:00
Anna,Did you get my e-mail, if not PM me with a good e-mail address.

ARXW
20th Oct 2008, 17:54
Hello!

I am a crazy Greek with hobbies entirely outside one's natural enviroment (I am not a pilot but rather an engineer), I have no military connections in my family and am not mil myself, yet there's hardly a thing in life that I enjoy more than fighter aircraft, especially naval a/c and fighter pilots especially very good ones such as John Eyton-Jones! In addition, I was four during the Falklands, don't recall a thing about it when it happened, but have the entire bookshelf published about that air war!

To the point: Anna if you are reading this I have a slight angle to provide you with on your dad! I recently found out about the F-14 Tomcat Association and I very quickly saw that some of the absolute legends of fighter aviation ''reside'' there. Your dad had done an exchange tour with the US Navy test and evaluation squadron, VX-4. Now at least a couple of american VX-4 pilots are at the Association's website and I, in discussing fighter pilots, actually asked whether anyone knew your father. American fighter legend Joe ''Hoser'' Satrapa (of the "no kill, like a guns kills" fame) replied and he said that he knew E-J and had fought with and against him as a VX-4 mate. He thought very highly of him as indeed he thought of all the Brit exchange crews who served with the US Navy at the time.

I've been a nuisance to fighter pilots ever since I was 15 or so (I am now 30 and still haven't dropped the habit) but I am positive that Cdr Doug Macdonald of the FAA Officers Association will have some stories about E-J. I'd met Mr Doug at the FAAOA in my youth and pestered him about anything and everything FLY NAVY! particularly Air Warfare Instructor (AWI) stuff. Now, both your dad and Doug Macdonald were F-4 AWIs and part of my Hall of Fame. I'm particularly interested about that special breed and especially about F-4K AWIs. My Hall of Fame includes:

F-4K Phantom (FG.1) AWI List
John Eyton-Jones
Bill Peppe
Nutty Walters
Taylor Scott
Dave "the Brave" Braithwaite
Tim Gedge (764 AWI)
Sharkey Ward
Doug Macdonald (O)
Nigel Charles????

One day I might improve on my "school-type project" collection of material on fighter tactics and fighter legends from a simple archive to at least an article if not a book. I feel the least qualified seeing as I do that you are, in here, in the company of fine men, eminently more qualified than me in talking about such things and with much more personal stories than me. If I do ever reach that stage of bringing my AWI project to fruition E-J should have some significant part in it!

Here's a link to some of the previously mentioned stuff on your dad at the F-14 Tomcat Association pages:
from reply number 1266 by Hoser Satrapa (also called D-Hose or VR D-Hose he's a complete loonie!!:ok:):
Taylor Scott and D-Hose never crossed vectors on the ground or in the sky..He was in VX-4 a year before D-Hose. As for John Eyton Jones, he was a fine F-4 stick at VX-4 along with his Brit buddy we called "Black Bart" when D-Hose checked in (1974). Got to check my records for Black Bart's real name. Any Royal Navy fighter pilots on exchange duty to US fighter squadrons were the top of the line and of course we sent no grapes to the Limmies. It was the start of the F-14 Opeval and foreign pilots had not been given the green light to fly Turkeys. D-Hose flew similar and dissimilar(A-4s/F-4s) with and against JEJ and BB @ VX-4 and they both were killed in the
Falklands Is..(87) There was another gifted Brit fighter pilot who was a F-14 instructor in VF-101 while D-Hose was there. Pete Legg (bout 1981)
VR D-Hose
The "Hoser Chronicles" and Evolution of Air Combat (http://www.tomcat-sunset.org/forums/index.php?topic=2441.msg49106#msg49106)

another american VX-4 pilot said:
The best memory I have about EJ: He took an F-4 on an ACM go and came back with the paint burned off the tail. Seems he took it to zero, started backing down and had a burner blow out... the raw fuel was torched by the lit burner... voila! New paint job!
[Note: He's actually praising E-J not criticising him as he's referring to an air combat sortie (ACM) and the fact that he got the thing to 0 airspeed I presume indicates a very aggresive pilot who knows what he's doing - some veteran american pilots especially in the '60's were afraid of fighting the F-4 in the slow speed regime of its flight envelope]

This same pilot by the nick of ltfusn that wrote the above, has some surprises for you I guess :)(check all the photos in the page below):
The "Hoser Chronicles" and Evolution of Air Combat (http://www.tomcat-sunset.org/forums/index.php?topic=2441.msg50275#msg50275)

He might actually have more from the mid-70's VX-4 time when your dad was there.

Bloody hell you got to love the internet for allowing discussions like this to happen and I told the americans as much in that website too!

892 Tiff
11th Feb 2009, 20:05
Anna
Have only just seen your message of last year. I served on 892 NAS with your father in the 70's. My contact with your father was to get the list of faults with his aircraft after he landed back on. He was a pure gentleman.
I remember when we heard the news of his tragic death. My wife who had been a WREN at Yeovilton cried. What a waste of life.

AIRCRAFTSNAPPER
11th Feb 2009, 21:20
Dear Anna

If you havent already obtained a photo of XZ452, I have a colour slide of it which I can print and send to you, however it is in 899NAS marks taken on August 1st 1981 at Yeovilton. Maybe you would prefer it in 801NAS marks as it was transferred over on 2nd April coded 007

Regards
Aircraftsnapper

Lola2009
23rd Jun 2009, 15:02
Anna,
I am writing a movie script and one of the background stories is about a girl who's father was killed in the Falklands war. While researching on the web I came across your search of your fathers pictures on this site. I was surprised to see some of the similarities that I would have never known before. This is very spooky. I would like to talk to you, if you don't mind, please.

I think you can reply to my email address registered here.

Regards

Lola2009

Double Zero
25th Jun 2009, 08:58
Anna,

I'm pretty sure the ' Sea Harrier FRS1 ' at Yeovilton museum is a cobbled up fake, all usable Sea Harriers were converted to FRS2's then FA2's.

If ever coming down South ( please PM me ) we have a complete Sea Vixen and a Sea Harrier ( FA2 ) at Tangmere, West Sussex, which I'm sure you and your children would be welcome to inspect.

I used to know the daughter of a WW11 Test Pilot, - Robin Milne - she often used to say " if only I'd sat him down and recorded his experiences ".

Then in the mid 1980's a very good book was published, ' Test Pilots, the history of British Test Flying ' by the late Don Middleton.

He mentioned Jenny's dad, and she wrote to him saying " he did a lot more than that ! "

D.M. Replied that he would amend any second edition, and meanwhile would she like a tape of his interview with her Dad ?!

This was worth more than any gold to her; with a bit of luck something similar exists for your Father - I have found the archive section at Yeovilton quite slow to respond, but the engineers terrific; keep looking !

Regards,

Andy

sharasec
25th Jun 2009, 10:26
Hi Anna

I am the Secretary of the Sea Harrier Association, which has recently formed. I will canvas our members to see whether we can get some images and stories about your dad.

We will also be creating a Garden of Rememberance on our website in the near future where your dad will be remembered. We also are in discussion with St Barts church at Yeovilton, whare we hope to install a commemorative bench in the new part of the churchyard.

If you want to keep in touch with the Association please feel free to contact me.

andyy
25th Jun 2009, 11:14
DZ, I am not so sure that the FAA Museum's FRS1 is a "cobbled up fake". I must admit that i thought that at least 1 FRS1 had remained in that configuration at Boscombe Down or with BAE for some reason & never converted. Why would anyone go to the trouble & expense of faking the early version?

longer ron
25th Jun 2009, 12:18
DZ, I am not so sure that the FAA Museum's FRS1 is a "cobbled up fake". I must admit that i thought that at least 1 FRS1 had remained in that configuration at Boscombe Down or with BAE for some reason & never converted. Why would anyone go to the trouble & expense of faking the early version?The Yeovilton 'Sea Harrier' is mostly a GR3 ,with a Shar nose grafted on (at Dunsfold)...purely from memory the Shar was lifted from the sea (Adriatic) and was in quite a state !!
The 2 airframes are basically the same dimensions aft of the cockpit,so a reasonable representation I think.
All surviving FRS 1's were updated to FU2's

cheers LR

longer ron
25th Jun 2009, 13:10
Done a little googling around...the GR 3 used for the yeovilton 'FRS 1' was XV760.
The nose still survives and used to be owned by one of Dunsfolds 'photogs'.
Istr the guys grafting the Shar nose on used an external butt strap around the fuselage but cannot find a close up photo of it...it may have been 'contoured' before paint anyway.

regards LR

Goldilocks95
6th Jul 2009, 21:59
Hi Anna

My dad was in 801 squadron and a lot of the people he works with now were also in this squadron. He knows of your dad and hes going to ask around at work and see if any people there have any pictures ofhim.

Sarah

sr.jones
7th Jul 2009, 09:09
The FAAM Sea Harrier is a genuine SHAR Fuselage, all though the wing is from a GR3. as detailed in the timeline below
XZ493 Crashed into the Adriatic while on approach to HMS Invincible, loss of yaw control in the hover - pilot - Lt D. Kistruck RN - hours at time of crash 2684.15
1/3/95 - Wreckage into 12 hangar at Yeovilton from AIU at Lee-on-Solent
29/9/95 - Remains transferred to FAAM charge for rebuild by BAe for new VSTOL exhibition
25/10/95 - To BAe Dunsfold for rebuild
18/10/97 - Unwanted parts returned to Yeovilton
19/10/97 - Unwanted items placed on Yeovilton fire dump
22/3/00 - By road from Dunsfold to Cobham Hall.

Buster Hyman
7th Jul 2009, 10:28
:D:D:D

What a wonderful thread. :ok:

LowObservable
8th Jul 2009, 16:35
the guys grafting the Shar nose on used an external butt strap

TMI!

longer ron
9th Jul 2009, 11:27
SR Jones
Not wishing to hijack this thread for an argument about 'XZ493',I will PM you about it but are you aware that both 'Double Zero' and myself worked at Dunsfold and saw first hand the component parts of 'XZ493'.

regards LR

Yeomen dai
24th Jul 2009, 22:02
Awesome photos.:ok:

Seaking93
25th Jul 2009, 10:49
Just to confirm that the Sea Harrier FRS1 on the ramp in Hall 4 at FAAM is indeed XV760 a GR3 with the nose of XZ493 a FRS1 bolted on, all FRS1's were converted to F/A2's, no genuine FRS1 survives.

Pantyfedwen
19th Aug 2009, 22:03
Anna,

I was E-J' s instructor throughout the whole of his basic training at Linton-on-Ouse. We first flew together on his familiarisation flight on 16 Mar 66, and our final flight was on 5 Jan 67, a few days prior to graduation. His natural flying ability was evident from the start of his career, and we shared some wonderful experiences in the air. His wit, charm and panchant for mimicry made teaching him a joy. Always the showman, his presence illuminated many social occasions for most - but for other miserable sods he could be a bit of a pain in the posterior, and he relished the chance to increase their agony!

Unreservedly, I consider it to have been a rare privilege to have helped him on his way to scaling the heights that were his for the taking. Even now, so many tears down the line, I regularly fill and raise the tankard that he gave me when he gained his 'wings' to his fond memory.

sherlockj
6th Dec 2009, 23:58
Anna, I flew with your father at VX-4 in California. We were great friends. Love to get in touch with you, Sophie and your mom. Let me know how to contact you. Jim Sherlock, Capt., USN (Ret.)

flown-it
8th Dec 2009, 22:20
Anna.
I was in AEW in the RN and worked with and against E-J both at sea and ashore.
Fondest memory? I was on exchange with the USN VAW squadron at NAS Miramar in San Diego. I wandered into the WOXOF bar one evening and to my surprise E-J was at the bar. After the usual greetings and a beer or two I asked
"How did you get here?"

"Flew an S-2" Quoth he.

"S-2?...you've never flown a prop in your life. How the h..l could you fly an S-2?"

E-J ......" Oh it's really quite easy....All I do is ...(and here a languid sweep in the air as if addressing the overhead panel in the aeroplane)......Rearrange the switches in an eye catching fashion and off I go!!!"

Made me cry with laughter! I've told the story many times. It is E-J to a Tee. Laid back, fun loving and a great aviator.

sharasec
6th Apr 2010, 12:02
Anna

One of our members has found an old Squadron photo with your dad in it:D. PM me with your email address and I'll send it on to you.

jualbo
19th Apr 2010, 11:06
Anna, there are references to your dad´s participation in the war in many magazines.
Basically I have references to 3 missions flown by him on 1st may. One is discribed here:
Falkland Islands - A history of the 1982 conflict (http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/fa1.html)
The first mission:
"While the bombardment was going on there was the first reaction from the Argentine air defences resulting in few skirmishes between British and Argentine aircraft, but nothing was reported as hit on either side. Firstly, Flt Lt Paul Barton and Lt Commander John Eyton-Jones flying Sea Harriers of 801 Squadron were vectored onto three widely spaced pairs of aircraft approaching from the west at high level by HMS Invincible. Two more Sea Harriers were closing on the first pair but Barton and Eyton-Jones were initially alone in a potential 2 v 6 combat. The Sea Harriers were at 15,000 ft (4,570 m) and the lead pair of Mirage IIIEAs were at 34,450 ft (10,500 m), each remaining in the best performance envelope for their type. A purely defensive duel evolved, each side looking to draw the other into an area where they would have the advantage, until the Argentine fighters were forced to withdraw due to fuel constraints. The Sea Harriers returned to the carrier to refuel and await another opportunity. Several more probing encouters occured over the next few hours as the Argentine fighters sought a weakness in the British defences and searched for the ships of the Task Force."

I have no info about the two other sorties.
Regards

artistmrdc
26th Aug 2010, 18:52
Dear Anna:
I am an artist based in Bishop,California.
My favorite pane in the whole world,is the Royal navy Sea harrier FRS-1 version.Your father flew this type.
I did a pen drawing of your father,for a website,and was published!.
I never had my artework published before.
I read about how your father died,and a few years ago I contacted Mr Dave Smart,who designed the website where my artework appears.
I thought the story was very sad,thus the portrait,and why I made the submision.
I hope you get this message,and you can view my artework of Lt Cdr
Eyton Jonesby punching up www.palacebarraksmemorialgarden.org (http://www.palacebarraksmemorialgarden.org)
you must than punch up Falkland islands and than Royal air force/Royal navy aircrew.
you should find your father's portrait,which I sumitted when you scroll down.
Hope to hear what you think!
Most Admirably yours:
Douglas Cooper........

artistmrdc
26th Aug 2010, 19:20
Dear Anna:
I did a nice Pen sketch of your father,for a Falkland Island Memorial website.I don't know if my first mesage posted,on this Bullitan Board.
I hope I can get in touch with you about The artework,so you can see it.
Most Admirably:
Douglas Cooper.....

Tom Biddulph
27th Aug 2010, 00:10
You could've just posted this link
:}
Palace Barracks Memorial Garden - Northern Ireland, Falklands Islands, Felix Memorial Garden. (http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/R.A.F.%20Royal%20Navy.htm)

farsouth
27th Aug 2010, 07:46
Think the link above should read index (http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org) (barracks, not barraks)