PDA

View Full Version : Smart Air - single engine public transport?

richatom
21st Jun 2008, 17:47
Can anybody explain how Smart Air are able to offer effectively public transport on the single-engine D-Jet? See here:
http://www.smartair.aero/

So if you own a fraction of a fleet of D-Jets (but not one aircraft in particular) then the aircraft is "private", therefore legal on single-engine IFR?

usedtofly
22nd Jun 2008, 23:07
Dunno, but I had a look at the website......wonder if I can get our engineers to fit lights behind the pedals :E

CJ Driver
29th Jun 2008, 23:22
Single engine public transport is of course perfectly OK, providing you operate VFR. I wonder if the potential fractional owners realise how limiting this might be?:E

bArt2
30th Jun 2008, 04:28
So if you own a fraction of a fleet of D-Jets (but not one aircraft in particular) then the aircraft is "private", therefore legal on single-engine IFR?

If you own a fraction of a fleet of D-Jets (but not one aircraft in particular) then the aircraft is "private", therefore legal on single-engine IFR.

I don't see anything about public transport on their website.

Daysleeper
30th Jun 2008, 13:18
I wonder if the "owners" understand what that actually means...

oh and this bit from their website is probably not legal anyway

Privacy: carry whatever you want: liquids, pets, hunting gear, etc.

Squeegee Longtail
30th Jun 2008, 18:51
http://10.141.0.3/www.pixit.comm/smartair/library/img/aircraft5.jpg
D-JET: The Smartest Airplane

Safety

which has always been a key driver for D-Jet design, is increased by:

using a glass cockpit rather than an analogical cockpit
using a single-engine rather than a twin-engine
range limit altitude of 7’500 m, safer than 12’000 mSMARTAIR is the European launch operator for the D-Jet, and due to its strong partnership with Diamond, has delivery guarantee starting from the beginning of 2010.

Wow, read those "safety" features! WTF? Is this written by morons for morons?
I will have to remember that one engine is safer than two!

CirrusF
1st Jul 2008, 10:51
It's pretty cool plane actually - only costs $1.2m and they've already sold shed loads (over 400 orders). Eclipse have realised there is a big market and have built their own single engine version in response.