PDA

View Full Version : External zip drive automatic letter selection

DB6
16th Dec 2001, 15:42
I occasionally use an Iomega 100 Mb external zip drive with my machine. The problem is that it assigns itself the drive letter D, thus shifting my CD to E or whatever and ******ing up several shortcuts. I've tried forcing the CD to stay as D by limiting the drive assignment choice in the properties, but as soon as the Zip makes an appearance it shuffles of and becomes E again. I can't seem to find how the Zip drive gets its drive letter assignment. Any of you sages cast any light on it?

Dagger Dirk
16th Dec 2001, 20:34
From the FAQ at:
C:\Program Files\IOMEGA\Common\Help\howdoi.html

How Do I Change the Iomega drive letter?

Windows® 95/98/Me Users

To change the drive letter for a removable drive:

Right click the Iomega drive icon in My Computer or Windows Explorer.
Click Properties.
Click the Drive Letter Manager tab.
A list of available drive letters displays (including network drives). Select the drive letter you want to assign to each removable device attached to your system by selecting a new drive letter in the pull-down menu box below the drive icon.
Click OK.
Restart your system for the changes to take effect.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In my experience it takes a lot of fooling around and reboots and rarely works.

Andrew Cant
21st Dec 2001, 15:14
If you're using Windows NT/2000/XP, you'll be able to change it by using the Disk Management utility in Administrative Tools (or equivalent). This change will hold permanently.

If you're using Windows 95/98/Me then DD has the practical method, short of a registry mod.