PDA

View Full Version : Converting FAA PPL to GCAA

jai6638
21st Jun 2008, 13:41
Hello there,

I have a FAA pilot certificate with instrument rating and was wondering, what the procedure would be to convert to the GCAA license? I will be visiting Dubai this summer so was thinking of going ahead with the process. Dubai is home though so I figured it cannot hurt to have a UAE license.

1) What documents would I need? I went to the GCAA website but can't seem to find the relevant webpage.
2) My residence visa is valid till next year and so, assuming that I get my UAE license this summer, would I still be able to fly using this license on a visit visa after my residence visa expires?
3) My FAA certificate never expires. Does the GCAA one expire? To renew it, would I have to retake the checkride every time it expires?
4) Lastly, is this procedure straightforward or would guys not recommend bothering with the process because its tedious?

Thanks
jai

OMDB-PiLoT
21st Jun 2008, 16:53
As far as I know (please correct me if I am wrong), the procedure is as follows:

1. You need to get security clearance, which can take a month or so to complete. It took me 7 weeks. Best way is to go through a flying club for this application.
2. You need a valid medical done from UAE. You will have to wait another couple weeks to get the medical. I'm not sure if GCAA will accept medical from outside.
3. If you are recent with your flying, then you need to get a checkride done with one of the flying clubs' CFI (Umm Al Quwain or Fujeirah). I wouldnt recommend Dubai as the aerodrome is very busy and controllers very unfriendly with G.A. guys.

I believe the whole procedure will take 2-3 months to complete.

Good luck.

Dualinput
21st Jun 2008, 17:35
Jai,

For any ICAO CPL/ATPL to GCAA CPL/ATPL
If you are a non-GCAA national, you will need to have a flying or flying related job in the UAE first and then thru that company you will write the the Air Law exam at GCAA.

For PPL
You can however, convert your PPL+IR without having a flying job in the UAE as long as you have a UAE residence visa. Rest procedures as suggested by OMDBpilot....

Cheers

jai6638
22nd Jun 2008, 23:17
Thanks for the responses.

If I do get my license within next two months with a valid UAE residence visa, then can I fly using this license after my residence visa expires? i.e., can I fly locally with a UAE license on a visit visa?

Also, will my PPL+IR checkride be integrated or do I have to take two seperate checkrides, one for the PPL and one for the instrument rating ?

Thanks
Jai

Dualinput
22nd Jun 2008, 23:23
Hi,
You will get the license for 4/8 years. You can fly on it even if your residence visa expires.

Not sure on the second part though....you will have to check with the flying schools there....

Cheers,
Google