PDA

View Full Version : Pprune 'search' link

Albert on Tour
23rd Jan 2001, 01:48
Sometimes the 'search' link is there, others not. Am I doing something wrong? Am I about to be humiliated?

PPRuNe Dispatcher
23rd Jan 2001, 02:06
We have to turn searching off when the load on the server gets too high. When the load drops and stays low, we turn it back on again.

Plans are in place to improve server performance, which will mean we can again leave searching on.

The best time to try searching is at weekends, when the load is usually lower. The URL http://www.pprune.org/usage_stats shows when the server is busy, i.e. when people can surf the internet from work for free :) There is a posting in Rumours & News which explains what all the number mean.

BTW, if you wish to be humiliated, we can certainly oblige :)

---PPRuNe Dispatcher

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Dispatcher (edited 22 January 2001).]

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Jan 2001, 12:20
Dammit, brings a tear to the eye to see the selfless dedication of the moderators here.

Not just useful advice but free humiliation, arguments and heavy irony.

Sadly however, investment in our new server, extra bandwidth and software means we have to reserve the right to posssibly charge for these features in future.

We genuinely do hope to radically improve the site in the very near future so, search fans, please bear with us.

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

Albert on Tour
24th Jan 2001, 00:00
Thanks a lot, that explains it.

I'm slowly transferring the Albert on Tour MS Access database to the Night Stop forum, but I'll be wasting my time if people can't use the search facility.

cheers