PDA

View Full Version : update on EK housing

pigot1j
21st Jun 2008, 05:47
Almost as expected, EK has come up with a nice dirty trick to make sure they don't have to pay the promised inconvenience allowance of dhs 5000 after 3 months in temp accomodation.
All it needs is a couple of really ****ty small houses in the rough part of Mirdif, with single glasing, so you don't miss a single takeoff zooming over your roof at 02.00 in the morning. Couple that with a choice of colours in the bathroom that even the blokes get early morning sickness just by switching the light on and there you are. So far it seems everyone of the over 100 families on the waiting list have been offered this fantastic oportunity to get rid of your other half quickly by dumping her in those huts and voila, nobody will get that allowance, because we have now all rejected accomodation offered to us just as the 3 months wait has come to an end. I am still waiting to find out, why this airline is so good and successfull. The training has been truly 3rd world, housing is a mess and everything in Dubai needs a lot of persevierance (sorry, can't spell that one) to get done.
Looks like I have arrived then...
My advise, if you really want to come, that's fine, but delay as much as you possibly can. If you guys out there can wait until next year, it will (hopefully) be a different story but at the moment, if you can, stay where you are.
Cheers, Pigot.

145qrh
21st Jun 2008, 06:48
Sorry to hear your woes, don't expect any change, you just learn to grin and bear it, (without the grin:bored:)..

But I am sorry to say that all the info you could have wanted is here on pprune, but lots of our colleagues love the place and try and downplay the negatives, of which there are many...

positives...um...er...regular if somewhat shrinking paycheck, and pretty stable roster, not nice but stable.

And you got it spot on with the Third World bit, nothing to do with the amount of shiny buildings or Starbucks, it's in the mentality of the natives that lets the place down...

disconnected
21st Jun 2008, 07:08
Yes its all buried in the small print of manuals that you had no idea were in existence before you joined.

Hell - Don't blame yourself....the contract looked straightforward and the math worked out... A few calls to some mates and some Pprune responses threw some light on what could be expected.

What wasn't realised was that the contract was the best it would get. Many tricks and cutbacks will erode that relatively fast. Time and inflation being the best tool.

What the mates and Pprune showed was true at the time but changed radically over the next few months or years.

So there you are joining the rest, justifying the reasons to stay, too scared to go in the current aviation market and hoping things will improve...

cerbus
21st Jun 2008, 13:17
Let it ring from the moutain tops that every applicant has been forewarned about Emirates and what it provides. You can not say you did not know how Emirates treats its employees. Just look at what they do to the FOs and the ramp agents and countless others.

kingoftheslipstream
21st Jun 2008, 13:23
FBI... again.:ouch:

Payscale
21st Jun 2008, 16:31
Hopefully you are on of the two guyes that actually bother filling out the feedback forms. I know I dont. Lazy I guess. Sorry PP. Anyhow, with your first world knowledge in hand, the trainers can now upgrade their standard to top notch. ;)
As for housing, that is and has ALWAYS been problem. Inter departmental war I guess. Make the best of it or move to Ajman or fujeirah. Dubai wont fit EK pityfull UA. What is it? 140K for a capain. That will get you a one bed in the congested marina.

Thylakoid
22nd Jun 2008, 13:15
... everything in Dubai needs a lot of persevierance (sorry, can't spell that one) to get done.

:) That will be "perseverance."
You need a lot of that over here in the Gulf, particularly with Emirates.
TC just stated that "we are unstopable." But they are unable to resolve basic things, such as the acommodation and the training department issues :E

Thylakoid
22nd Jun 2008, 13:19
And you got it spot on with the Third World bit ...

I've heard stuff about the First World and the Third World. Anything from the Second World? :E

kingoftheslipstream
22nd Jun 2008, 13:41
Nyet nyet!:uhoh:

socal320pilot
22nd Jun 2008, 18:04
can you be more specific about the treatment of F/Os?

knifedge
22nd Jun 2008, 21:54
DEC s
no transition upgrades,
double std qualifications in the sims,
no bussiness class with children younger than 16,
no bussiness centre in some hotels levelling them down to pursers benefits,
if the capt f i up ... then equally guilty and delayed upgrade,
among ohter BS.

cerbus
23rd Jun 2008, 00:40
If you are still in question about the treatment of the employees at Emirates after all that is posted here you are in complete denial for the reasons for coming to the sand. If you have a job especially in the first world that is not on the brink of bankruptcy think very hard before you come to the 3rd world slave driven heat box. Yesterday 45C in the shade.
Why join an airline or any company that so disrespects its employees. DECs is the biggy.

brassplate
23rd Jun 2008, 02:28
wow! and i thought gf and bahrain were mediocre at best. sounds like ek takes the cake...until you read ey of course.

my take on this in the entire 'middle east' forum based on the number of complaints is that either:

1. gf has the best t's and c's and/or the fewest whingers

OR

2. ey and ek have the worst t's and c's and/or the most whingers.

what's it going to be ladies......and gentlemen?

Mister Warning
23rd Jun 2008, 05:25
Perhaps it means that GF boys are working too hard to post...
Or that they can't afford the internet connection...

ironbutt57
23rd Jun 2008, 05:53
the gf boys are indeed busy...but affording the internet connection is a stupid comment...go back and whinge about your life...and leave us to enjoy ours...

brassy...i suspect the higher paced lifestyle in DXB might wear on a few of the folks there...and of course more days off leads to more time to bitch on Pprune by the minority there..many of those who have moved on seem to enjoy themselves there, and most look fondly back to their GF days as well, as some of them would have not been employable at EK without their GF opportunity..including one who delights in making derogatory comments about GF on other threads...so now back to the EK housing topic..

it will be interesting to see how UAE employers deal with these issues, as it seems to be the at the forefront of the concerns of those living there:ok:

Fugazi
23rd Jun 2008, 07:24
Can't believe FO's still going on about DEC's. You knew before you took the job that EK employs DEC's!!!!! :ugh:

mensaboy
23rd Jun 2008, 10:02
Even if they knew beforehand that DEC's were a possibility that does not excuse the blatant disregard the company has for its own rules. Eligible F/O's, then eligible accelerated command F/O's........... THEN DEC's !!

It is a purposely designed deceptive policy.

For ANYONE to criticize any F/O for bitching about the DEC policy, says alot about his personality.

It is a stupid policy, not one ever required, that was an ill-conceived attempt to save money. To have the audacity to criticize those who are bitching about it is is beyond comprehension to me.

vbrules
23rd Jun 2008, 12:16
Every day is as good as it's ever going to get here.
It's one great big slippery slope.
Welcome.

GoreTex
23rd Jun 2008, 12:53
EK is hiring for 20 years DEC's, 9 years ago I joined as an F/O and had a previous widebody command, at the same time they hired 2 DEC's.
just the last 5 years they hire more than ever, do I like it "NO" can I change it "NO".

by now it's known in every part of the world that EK is hiring DEC's and that they change their rules every 5 seconds, if you dont like it "don't even join" or just do your homework and be prepared for a rule change.

ironbutt57
23rd Jun 2008, 23:22
Noticed tht did u Goe Tex....they all come on their knees begging for the job...then proceed to bitch about it shortly thereafter..."deception" and the like...go figure...apparently Mensaboy has decieved EK he is actually a semi intelligent being...but the rest of us know better..his disdain for yanks proves he comes from a country once defended by the very yanks he slags off on these hallowed pages:bored:

cerbus
24th Jun 2008, 02:47
He doesn't have to be a Yank hater to slag the DECs. There is no reason to disrespect the FOs at EK now matter how you butter it up. DECs of any nationality should never have been at EK. A toal slap in the face and a picture into how EK treats its employees.

pool
24th Jun 2008, 07:34
Thread hijack, dear cerbus. You are so transparent. Reminds me of a certain culture who hides all own shortcomings behind supposed and self-raised anti-religion issues.
Let the DEC issue go, it has been on the agenda long enough so that every semi-intelligent pilot should have know before joining.:ugh:
Soon enough you'll be one yourself and you still need to brush your teeth in front of a mirror ... unless yours is a tinted as the local Landcruiser's.

Take it easy, upgrades at EK are to be the very rare ones in the industry, so don't risk yours with false anger management.

Off to the beach.

pool

Trader
24th Jun 2008, 11:12
IB- hope your talking about another poster with the comment about derogatory remarks directed towards GF.