PDA

View Full Version : 2K win98

tony draper
13th Dec 2001, 14:37
I run a dual pentium machine and have had a twenty gig disc with 2k running for a while now, and I am quite happy with 2k.
I also have a disc 15 gig h/d with win 98 on it and a lot of stuff I don't want to lose.
I have the h'd bios set to auto and I can swap discs no prob, the machine boots and runs just fine.
Yesterday I stuck the win 98 disc in and it has started to show signs of going Tango Uniform.
Can I configure the 98 disc as slave and instal it in the machine with the win2k disc as master and copy the stuff I don't want to lose across to the win 2k disc?, they are both fat 32.
I have asked this before and didn't get a definate answer.
I am familiar with copying stuff disc to disc thats not a prob, I just want a yes or no,can I do that I would hate to lose the stuff on the 98 disc.
Thanks in advance ..tony.

[ 13 December 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

IFollowRoads
13th Dec 2001, 15:36
Hi Tony

Depends what the 'stuff' actually is.

If you want the OS (being win98) or some of the apps, you may well have problems. If it is just a data file, you will be ok.

The distinction will be if registry entries are required, and if the ones you have in the active partition are suitable for the app from the other partition. If you really want these, it is possible to export and import them, but be prepared to do some research!

Have fun! ;)

ISE

Superpilot
13th Dec 2001, 16:10
:( :( :( - When will we see that sad blue face message icon change Tony? :D

Are you asking whether or not it is possible to move/copy files from slave to master? is that right? Yes you can as long as you know how to mess around with the jumpers. Although I think you're aware of this, as ISE said you cannot copy the program installation files just like that but I have an alternative (below).

You can also dual boot (Be able to choose which O.S to load) between Windows 2000 and Windows 98, even in the above master/slave configuration. If this is a must I can tell you how to do it, if it's not necessary then I would avoid it and install any apps you need again on Win2k.

[ 13 December 2001: Message edited by: Superpilot ]

tony draper
14th Dec 2001, 02:59
Keep tellin folks thats not a sad face, tis a bemused one, this is the sad face. :(

No not interested in keeping the operating
system, just got lots of patches and folders full of hairy planes for combat sim and such.
I was going to rig up a double pole double throw switch that would swop over jumpers and allow the machine to either boot from the 98 disc or the 2k disk,(Draper being a hardwear guy rather than software person prefers his to dual booting ),by making one master or slave depending on the switch position, the machine is just a stripped down case with no cover and two 240 volt fans going like the clappers, overclocking, so it only takes seconds to unplug one disk and clag in the other.
Will give it a try tommorrow. ;)