PDA

View Full Version : MP3's and CD writing HELP!!

GoGirl
24th Mar 2001, 16:42
Please I am looking for a liitle help with a small problem I have come accross!

I purchased an Acer CD writer a few days ago, and I am anxious to d'load some MP3's from my files and from the Net.
I have been successful in burning a couple of CD's that I copied, but I heard that you need a 'converter' to do the other stuff I want to do.
The question is: Where do I start to look for this said 'converter' software?
Can I get it from a web-site, or is it the sort of software you need to buy?
If anyone can help me with this predicament, I'd really appreciate it.
I'm not a computer whiz, but I am winning the battle with mine so far :) :) :)

Thanks in advance,
GG/Amanda

spannersatcx
24th Mar 2001, 17:10
What software did you get with the writer?
if it came with Aheads NERO (http://www.ahead.de) that will do it for you. You'll need to read the destructions as I can't remember off the top of my head. Cequadrants winoncd also does it as does Adaptecs ezcdcreator (V5 out now). There are probably some freeware things that do it as well but you'll have to search for them.

ioan_jones
24th Mar 2001, 23:18
I got a new CD writer in October, 'Winamp', where you just download the MP3, go onto winamp and drag the MP3s from your PC to the CD window. Only thing is, the CD works in any computer but not in an everyday CD player.

I assume that it also needs a 'converter' even though it says in the help files that it's a 'standalone' program.

Help anyone?

CrashDive
25th Mar 2001, 00:21
Of course I'm sure that you're intending copying recordings of your family sing-songs around the Christmas tree at yuletide and not partaking in the scandalous business of ripping-off 'Copyrighted' songs via Napster.... ?!

In any event, personally I purchased (from PC-World) a TraxData CDRW8432 Plus (8x 4x 32x) drive which came with 'Nero Burning ROM' software, and which imho it's just too easy to install and use !

E.g. wanna write an Audio CD then start Nero, select 'Audio CD', then drag/drop the MP3 files to the drive, click 'burn', stick a blank disc in the drive, and Nero takes care of the rest !

------------------
CrashDive

Administrator to The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

May you live in interesting times !

GoGirl
25th Mar 2001, 04:11
Great stuff guys!!

Crashy of course they are MP3's of the family doing the Yuletide thingy...would I put one over you ??? ;)

The software I have with the writer is Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.
I have not yet tried to do the drop and drag thing, but I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how successful I am.

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it. If you can think of anything else, just let me know :)

Thanks again
GG

Mac the Knife
25th Mar 2001, 11:08
Surprisingly M$ at www.microsoft.com/windowsce/uplink/tracks/convertwav.asp?style=5 (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsce/uplink/tracks/convertwav.asp?style=5) - 20k
have some good ideas, tips and links.

GoGirl
25th Mar 2001, 16:13
Ye-ha!! Well, I got it all sorted with the help from you lot :)
Today I created my first CD, and it sounds Fantastic...erm, even if it is the rellies singing carols ;)

So, looks as though we got this one beat!
Thanks for all the help.

Cheers
GG

Jock Alert
25th Mar 2001, 21:44
Got here too late as usual! Adaptec Easy CD creator pro4.0 is a great wee program for writing MP3's straight to CD as it will automatically convert them (as you know by now. ANother handy thingy is Xaudio's MPEGDJ Encoder which will copy your CD's into MP'3s or .Wav's (Windows audio files) and back again as well. I think their URL is www.xaudio.de (http://www.xaudio.de)
If I remember rightly, it will only encode the 1st track of each CD until you register it with them for about £20, but it's worth it if you want to make your own stuff into MP3's.
Been using it for ages and now have almost my entire CD collection on the hard drive - The world's biggest jukebox.

------------------
Veni, Vermini, Vomui!
I came, I got ratted, I threw up!

GoGirl
26th Mar 2001, 04:24
JA , as yet, I don't have an MP3 player, which I assume you would want to benefit from what you've just posted about :)

But I do thank-you for your tips, and have had a look at the web-site you added. Cheers for that ;)

GG

CrashDive
27th Mar 2001, 00:33
Better still, try 'CdEx' for ripping tracks from an audio CD into MP3 !

Jock Alert
27th Mar 2001, 01:18
GoGirl, if you are looking for a PC MP3 player, then Winamp is your best bet, you can download it (I think it's free but can't remember) from www.winamp.com! (http://www.winamp.com!)

Enjoy

------------------
Veni, Vermini, Vomui!
I came, I got ratted, I threw up!

Capt Snooze
27th Mar 2001, 06:02
Is there any way to reverse this process?

That is, to convert MP3/WAV et al to audio CD tracks to play on an audio CD player?

GoGirl
27th Mar 2001, 15:54
Thanks JA, done!!

Can anyone tell me about DVD's and Playstation games? Can these also be burned on the type of writer I have?
Of course, I am only being inquisitive ;)

Thanks
GG

willadvise
27th Mar 2001, 18:12
Capt Snooze
You question was answered in the first coupla posts. This was infact what GoGirl was asking in the first place :)

GoGirl
You can't burn DVD's or Playstation 2 games on your burner. There are DVD burners available but they are very expensive. You can copy PS1 games but you will need a "chip" installed in your playstation to play them. You can find people to do this in the classified section of your paper. For more info on this and all your questions to burning CDs I suggest

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Cheers
WA

[This message has been edited by willadvise (edited 27 March 2001).]

GoGirl
28th Mar 2001, 03:12
WA Thanks thanks thanks!!!
I do believe you have answered my question, and I'm pretty darned happy about it too :)
The question was prompted by my 13 year old brother when he found out I had purchased a CD writer....I could hear his scream of joy 1200 kilometres away :) :)
I was aware that there was a chip needed in the PS1 to read the CD, but I wasn't sure if my softwre could actually copy it. Looks like I can ;)

Cheers for that!!
GG