PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player

boofhead
13th Dec 2001, 12:03
I had a problem with WMP, trying to clean up the list of songs. It froze and took out Windows Explorer as well, so I tried to re-load the corrupted Windows files using the startup disc. It is a Sony Viao 528DS desktop with all the bells and whistles, which if you know the machine it will not come as a surprise that all this failed and I had to re-format the C: drive, losing all my files and programs that were not backed up. Since reformatting and loading the basic programs again, I cannot load a new copy of WMP, although the basic player is there and runs OK. It gives me a message about a missing DLL. I also cannot play DVD movies (the player will not respond) and now I find I cannot play CDs either, and sample music from Amazon will not play. I have a copy of Windows Amplifier and that works, but not for CDs. The CD/DVD drive works as a CDROM player when loading programs. And I can play music from MP3 files loaded in the hard drive.
Anyone have an idea of what to look at? can I copy the DLL file from another computer, and put it into the Windows directory without any installation program? Or does it sound like a failure of the drive?
I bought the Sony pc for my wife to avoid any problems while I was on the road, but it has been the biggest disaster I have ever had in computers. My second Sony, too, will I never learn?

Icarus
13th Dec 2001, 13:58
What's the missing DLL?
It may be on your computer (use Start/Find/Files or Folders to check) but your registry is pointing to the wrong place or not at all in which you could use 'regsvr32.exe' to register the DLL.