PDA

View Full Version : Licence Conversion

yeoman
19th Jun 2008, 15:19
Can you help please?

I have a JAA ATPL (with Command experience on B 737, 757, 767) which I may need to convert to the Oz equivalent. CASA have not been great at providing info (at least they are several steps up on the UK CAA!).

Specifically:

What is required to convert?
Is there anywhere in Europe that can conduct the Flight Test?

Thanks in advance.

Artificial Horizon
19th Jun 2008, 17:04
1 - Send all of your paperwork to CASA (form 1162, 213, 639)
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm#convert
2 - Once assessed and in reciept of a ARN (aviation reference number)
3 - Study for and pass CPL + ATPL Airlaw
you have to sit both CPL first before you can book ATPL
4 - Study for and pass IREX (instrument rating exam)
(not required if you have previously held OZ Instrument Rating)
5 - Once the 3 exams passed and Special Pilots Licence issued train as required
to pass Multi Engine Instrument rating.
6 - Send application for ATPL to CASA and wait!!

I forgot to say that you will need to obtain an Australian class 1 medical before the practical flying element, this can be completed in the uk at:

http://www.casa.gov.au/avmed/damedisplay.asp?type=DAME&Location=Overseas#38

The exams and flight test MUST be done in Australia NO EXCEPTIONS. There are some good correspondence courses around for the exams. You could try this page for further information:

http://www.aviationshop.com.au/avfacts/aaos_info.htm

Good luck mate, my paperwork has been with CASA now for over 5 months and still don't have the assessment complete, they seem to be a bit hit and miss.

volare_737
21st Jun 2008, 07:37
Hi there AH. U seem to know what's cocking.
Have you written the exams already ?
I am writing in August. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !!!!!!!!!

Artificial Horizon
21st Jun 2008, 09:36
No mate, I am hoping to get downunder in November to give them a crack. Good Luck:ok:

CFD
21st Jun 2008, 10:06
Been through this process recently.
The link AH posted just about sums it up.

I found CASA extremely helpful but was severely let down by the CAA.
AH- if they have had your paperwork for assesment for 5 months you may have the same problem I ran across.I assume you sent forms SRG 1160 and 1187 for release of information for licence verification to the CAA.I sent mine in january, CAA confirmed receipt to me verbally in january and febuary and when CASA were contacting them in april they were saying they hadnt received them.I would then ring CAA again, they first said they hadnt received them,after I told them for the umpteen time they had and acknowledged they found them but on contact again from CASA informed them they hadnt got them again.The very nice man from CASA was getting very frustrated with their incompetance,it was a very frustrating time and only sorted out the day before my trip to oz.

Tips for the exams.

Make sure you do your study beforehand!They are open book BUT you need to find your way around the books quickly in the exams.You can index link relevant sections beforehand which speeds up finding the relevant bits.I ordered the relevant publications beforehand as although most of the text is available online you wont have that in the exam and to reiterate you need to find the relevant text quickly under exam conditions.
On the posative side you find out at the end of the exam if you have passed.Cant enter the ATPL air law until you have passed CPL air law.
IREX exam quite interesting how different things in oz are compared to europe.

IR flight test-I hadnt flown a light twin in eight years but managed to pass.I did four flight and a couple of sim sessions.I found the difficult bit to grasp was the amount of uncontrolled airspace-very different to flying around europe.Also re engine failure while in the uk you tend to get it on the climb out/go-around I had that and one on the turn to intercept-bloody hell I thought at the time but it makes sense and for a better tested pilot in my view.

Medical-pretty standard although I hadnt had a visit with an opthamologist(think I spelt that right) before.

Total process took me two weeks without any time off, found jet lag an isssue for about 4 days-Licence issued about 3 weeks later.

Hope this helps!

Artificial Horizon
21st Jun 2008, 10:52
Thanks for that CFD, hadn't thought about chasing up the CAA. I did lodge the form and have a receipt for it so just assumed all was o.k on that front. Better chase it up I guess.:}

CFD
21st Jun 2008, 11:16
I think the best thing is to ask CASA if they have asked the CAA for licence verification.
Then contact CAA to see if they have sent it-dont bother with e-mail, ring and insist you talk to someone in the relevant dept and get their name.I found once you had a name and "they said this" it put you in a much stronger position.

yeoman
22nd Jun 2008, 11:35
Thanks chaps.

Next questions:
Costs?
Any recommended outfits, particularly in the Perth area?

Thanks again

DeltaT
23rd Jun 2008, 10:12
I received an email from CASA to confirm they had processed the paperwork and that they wanted confirmation I had sent the appropriate paperwork to UKCAA.
I then called the UKCAA, who confirmed they had received my forms and also the request from CASA that morning, and would have it done in 10 working days.

Re the medical, the info is on CASA website, but you can do the Auzzie medical with Dr Orton at Stansted, and one of the approved Opthamoligists is in Cambridge (£90), I think the other 2 or 3 are in London.