PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Pilot!

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 14:27
Hi All,

It has been my dream since I was aged 5, am now 17. I feel I want to live my dream and become a commercial pilot. I know there are different ways of becoming a pilot, and I assume the most popular way is threw Self Sponsor from an airline. However, to my knowledge you can become a commercial pilot by gaining a PPL then a CPL.

Could anyone give me any information about this way (PPL to CPL) and/or any other relavant information you may have.

Many Thanks

Chris.

preduk
19th Jun 2008, 14:30
Read here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

and here:

http://www.taysideaviation.co.uk/flying/learning/index/trainingairlinepilot.html

d41xcs
19th Jun 2008, 14:57
i'm pretty sure there's a search function on this site...

and i'm pretty sure this topic has been covered several thousand times before...

good luck!

BerksFlyer
19th Jun 2008, 15:04
He's asked the same question about becoming ATC, cabin crew and being a baggage handler.

If you've made your mind up, trawl through the many pages scroggs ever so kindly collated for questions like this. I hate to see his efforts go to waste!

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 15:23
Oh berksflyer, yes I have looked at other options as I cant fulfill my dream! But there is no harm in asking about it is there!! stupid nob!!

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 15:26
As for baggage handling, that was only mentioned for part time purposes .. pr*ck!! & Cabin crew as a VERY VERY last resort! And ye big deal if ive looked at ATC, keeping other options open!!

Nashers
19th Jun 2008, 15:30
stop calling people stupid nobs and do some reasurch. there are plenty of posts on here to tell you exactly what your options are. just dont be lazy and expect everything to be given to you in a plate as it will deffo not happen if you start training.

loose the attitude, ive just seen a new post uve put up and now calling someone a pr*ck!

your 17 but acting like a 12 year old. grow up and mature a bit more before bothering to start training or whatever you intend to do.

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 15:35
Oh great someone else joins in the abuse. Well i dont see the point in people butting into my thread and saying stuff that is nothing about the thread. BIG DEAL if ive looked at other options. My dream has been and always will be a Pilot, however as I am keen on aviation I have looked at other options in this field. IS THERE ANY HARM IN THAT!!

So i suggest Berkflyer should keep his useless opinions to himself and as for you Nasher, you dont no me at all so dont call me immature, act like a 12 year old from my thread with writting on, WOW quickest personallity test over a computer. How pathetic!

Sam-MAN
19th Jun 2008, 15:35
Grow up...

Read the stickys at the top of the forum which scroggs has kindly put there for people like yourself :ok:

Try using the search function or google before asking a question, because the chances are its been asked a million times on here... :ok:

Lets hope your attitude changes before you start training eh... :}

There is no harm in asking for help, just do a bit of research before you do :)

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 15:43
Yes I know there is no harm in asking questions and whatdo you think I have done all my life .. researched about becoming a pilot to fulfill a dream!! Everyone has a dream and if it doesnt pan out, you look at other options in a field you interested in.

Give up about my attitude please, because know one knows my personality, but when silly comments arise in a "professional" forum, I don't take it!

Thanks Sam for your nice sarcastic comments aswell :ugh: much appiciated :bored:!

BerksFlyer
19th Jun 2008, 15:52
Chris,

Not once did I say it was wrong to pursue other options. I was making a point based on your obvious lack of research. If you don't take my advice, take everyone elses and read the thread aimed at people like you.

One would have thought that in 12 years of dreaming you would have been able to get serious and find out what was required and how to become qualified. Obviously not.

Lucky no one has started on your spelling.

Why do we bother?

IRISHPILOT
19th Jun 2008, 15:53
calling someone a stupid nobleman (nob is short for "A person in a superior position in life; a nobleman"), is not exactly nice. well, at least you pay him respect for his position. Calling him a prick though, is generally not the way we speak to each other on this forum, may even get you banned.

I can see you starting your training, sitting with the head of training, trying to be nice by calling him your nob, which he is of course, but what if he misinterprets and thinks you called him a prick? :sad:

To avoid confusion, I generally don't see threads that I started as mine, and even though criticism is not what I look for if I post, there may be some truth in it if several posters agree...

There is a wealth of valuable information on this site and you have been directed to it. Question answered, best of luck with the training. cheers IP

Kerosine
19th Jun 2008, 15:54
Could anyone give me any information about this way (PPL to CPL) and/or any other relavant information you may have.With such a general non-specific question how can someone post a reply? how long do you think that reply would be? People politely directed you to a wealth of information on the thread links, what more do you expect?!

The first replies to you reuest were not rude yet you responded like a immature aggresive little child.

stupid nob!!

pr*ck!!
I would stop typing, log out, and p:mad:ss off before you are banned.

Nashers
19th Jun 2008, 15:57
yes your right. this is a professional forum. but being a professional does not mean calling people stupid nobs and pricks. being a professional means do your reasurch and be mature and respectful. once again loose the attitude. not only will you have a hard time through training if you cant accept criticism but you will not be able to get a job if people cant stand sitting next to you for 8 hours at 37000ft.

there is no harm in asking a question when the topic had not been discussed more times than a Theilert engine breaks....

Sam-MAN
19th Jun 2008, 15:59
Seeing that I'm such a kind person I found you a link...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228634

Read that

cfwake
19th Jun 2008, 16:03
C08, while there may be nothing wrong with looking at all your options, I'm sure most of us have, your pretty abrasive tone isn't going to get you anywhere on this forum or in your chosen industry.

While you may have taken a certain amount of offence to BF's post (which in all honesty was pretty neutral, if not a bit sarky), the correct response isn't to eff and jeff like a petulent kid. Which, by the way, you're sounding more and more like.

If you want some advice, consider this: while you can have a CPL at the age of 18, an ATPL will not be issued until the age of at least 21, and you're going to be up against people who are significantly older and who have far more life experience than you, and you'll probably be facing a pretty uphill struggle to win, irrelevant of how you may feel.

In my experience, and it is common, the people who have a hard time with jobs are usually those who are under, what guys, say 21/22, who have very little experience in the wider world, including self-sufficiency, financial experience (and it doesn't have to be as a stock trader for barclays) and who have developed experience of life outside school and living at home. If you have, then i apologise for making the assumption. But it is important to emphasise, an airline doesn't really care about your flying qualifications when you get to interview - otherwise they wouldn't have given you one in the first place. They want to know how well rounded, grounded, mature and amicable a person you are.

At 17, you are so young that to rush through training would be a bad idea. Have you thought about doing a PPL and hours building slowly, say over 2 or 3 years while you go to Uni (my recommendation)or get a job? My usual preachings about going to uni can be found by trawling through my recent posts, but I'm personally pretty proud of them and I stand by every word.

Good luck, remember time is very much on your side and if you rush it it may turn round and bite you on the arse.

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 16:06
Thanks Sam.

As for the rest of you, don't know who you think you are but to me you are nothing but bullys SO i suggest you P**S off and get on with your own life (Kerosine). Well I really don't care about most of you in here who has nothing better to do with there life than sit around a computer all day critising others (How Sad :D).

From the people that help me I RESPECT for the people who don't show me RESPECT, I wont show them respect either! You all got that. If you got a problem, how about you keep it to yourselfs because all I want to here is helpful replies not petty, pathetic, IMMATURE replies. Do I care if im immature, I think im the only person in this forum who is still a teenager, as for the rest of you (not all) act like your age not your shoe size.

Well least im trying to make something out of my life. AMAZING GCSEs, currently doing A Levels and living my life rather than sitting on a computer all day critising others.

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 16:12
Thank you so much cfwake for your kind words and helpful information. I have looked into PPL and have made phone calls and emails to local flying schools that go through PPLs. I was looking at taking 18 months roughly to complete a PPL.

The only reason I snapped is because I disagree with people butting there noses in which has noting to do with the topic.

I have said this many of times, you can't judge someone from a computer, especially not a forum.

Sam-MAN
19th Jun 2008, 16:13
Excellent speech :D :bored:

I'd wave good bye to PPrune now if I were you :ok:

Grow up and accept what people say to you, your not always right! Despite your attitude being appalling people were still willing to help you, and you should respect that.

Grow up and move on :=

Sam

PS - I'm 15 and I'd like to think I act more mature than you, so your not the only teenager :ok:

barké
19th Jun 2008, 16:13
Blimey so much rage for a 17 year old.

Chris your pretty naive, Aviation is full of sharks, bullys and idiots.

There are copious amounts of threads from teenagers on pprune, and it's not difficult to find them. (normally with the same header aswell :})

Theres no one way to become a pilot, and if you can find an airline to sponsor you through full ATPL training... ill eat my hat.

Only real viable way is to pay for your training.
See i'm 18, i have my PPL, and going to university, keeping current through uni (which also stocks up my hours for my cpl), then continuing my Commercial training after my Degree.

Don't cock up your options by having tunnel vision, get a good education (to degree level preferably) and the pursue your aviation career, as with the state of the economy, no one knows when there is going to be another airline boom with loads of jobs going, so you may need a backup to fall on.

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 16:27
lol sorry barke for my rage but thank you.

Sam, shut up and READ above I quite clearly said "I RESPECT the people that help". I also very much doubt you are 15 at all.:ugh:

Don't care if I go off pprune or not, people who stay on computers all day like yourself 'SAM' are very much on the way to a happy life :bored: How about everyone who has nothing better to say keep it to themselfs because quite frankly I really dont give a damn.

BerksFlyer
19th Jun 2008, 16:37
How about everyone who has nothing better to say keep it to themselfs because quite frankly I really dont give a damn

So you ask us for help. We refer you to a thread tailored to your question. You get lippy. You now want no help.

Have you even read the sticky? It honestly is one of the most useful things on this website for people researching becoming a pilot, and you'd do very well to absorb the information in it.

Why start the thread in the first place if you don't want comment?

I also very much doubt you are 15 at all.

Why on earth would someone lie about their age on a forum? I've seen people say they're older than they are... but younger?

Why would you want to be seen as a teenager on a forum where people like you cover 'us' in absolutely no glory whatsoever?

If I were you, I'd leave this thread and take the advice currently given. Stop digging.

BF - 16 years old ;)

RingwaySam
19th Jun 2008, 16:39
Chris, chill out. Nobody is having ago, it's just the way PPruNe is, and probably Aviation.

Not everybody on PPruNe sits on a computer all day (unless you fly an Airbus :E) most do have jobs whether it's cabin crew, ground handling, pilot, atc and so on.

You have to understand that people ask the same question on PPruNe all the time, so the regulars will get abit pissed off - That's life though, no need to take the internet so seriously.

Like you said, you have a life, so why you getting angry over a forum? Just relax, you'll get nowhere in life calling people pricks and nobs.

Sam - 89 years old :sad:

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 16:49
BF i said Quote - "How about everyone who has nothing better to say keep it to themselfs"

That clearly says I do not want replies from people who have nothing better to say than critise.

BF I really dont care what you say its kinda boring! :ugh:

RingwaySam, I am chilled dont worry. I understand others ask the same questions but its always good to ask your ow questions in your own way, know what I mean :). I know my language is inappropriate but some people need to learn how to keep their noses out unless they have a respectable answer.

Thanks!

Sam-MAN
19th Jun 2008, 16:54
RingwaySam, I am chilled dont worry. I understand others ask the same questions but its always good to ask your ow questions in your own way, know what I mean :). I know my language is inappropriate but some people need to learn how to keep their noses out unless they have a respectable answer.Chris.

You've basically asked the same question in the link I posted but re-worded. All anyone is going to tell you is the same info that is in that link, but worded differently.

Spend half an hour actually reading the link, and it'll give you a good understanding.

I wasn't 'sticking my nose in' as you call it, I was simply telling you to read the sticky which will answer any question you have :ok:

Take on board what people say and read that link I gave you :ok:

Sam

chrisy08
19th Jun 2008, 17:01
I have got all of the links people have given me open on my toolbar and I am reading them indepth. I also apologise to whoever I said nob and prick to, I might of mis-interpreted what they said and took it the wrong way but I do not want people butting their noses in with no reliable info only criticism.

Thanks Sam

jb2_86_uk
19th Jun 2008, 17:27
OK, I'll bite.

Chris08, if you cant take criticism then, unfortunatly, I cant see you getting very far in your training.

Training, thats what it is. Being trained how to do something. This quite often requires being told you are doing something wrong - more often that not, by someone who has far superior knowledge to yourself. If you treat this person(s) with the respect they deserve, they'll probably tell you how to do it right!

If you start calling them derogatory names such as nobs and pr!cks, I think you'll be lucky to make it back down to terra firma still inside the aircraft!!!

Your whole thread was answered (quite comprehensivley - I might add) in the first reply. Thanks to your conduct and poor attitude we are on page two after 3 hours.

JB

Kerosine
19th Jun 2008, 17:41
Chrisy from what I've seen today, you appear to disregard a logical and rational thought process that would make you understand why people are getting annoyed, why you are being called immature and why people are "butting their noses in with no reliable info only criticism".

Can you see who really escalated this discussion? Don't expect people to do things for you, it is a bonus if someone takes the time to give you there advice; if someone spends time helping you when they know you could have read a previous thread. Certainly don't expect to get away with insulting members on Pprune as there are many who will not hesitate to bring you down a peg or two.

I know what I've said will have annoyed you tremendously, however before you post a hasty reply, take a moment to think about what I've said, realise I am not trying to insult you in any way, there's no need for return fire. Your previous post shows you are big enough to apologise so build on that.

Best walk away from this thread as I don't feel it will be constructive in helping your research. Don't get dragged into a slanging match again, your composure and logic is all you have left when things start to go to pot :ok:

P.S. (also apologies for the "p:mad:ss off" earlier, two wrongs and all that:})

Put1992
19th Jun 2008, 21:51
Chris, chill :ok:

Yes, PPrune is an ok place to start, get a brief jist of things, but seeing as you know the abbreviations, could you not just have searched "PPL CPL" into google? Would have given you a brief outlook.

Training organisations differ, it's really a matter of opinion. So that's what you'll get, opinions :)

And if you call people nobs and pricks when you hear something you don't like, you'll go nowhere, and that's in life on the whole, not just flying. You should have really realised that by now.

Good luck with everything!

ali1986
19th Jun 2008, 23:34
dudddde, chill out man!

your attitude seriously needs to change, i would feel sorry for the poor sod who has to sit next to you for hours on end with you being like that.

whatever your personal circumstance i dont think you should bring it in here acting like your better than us we re all in the same boat ok.

if there are personal issues affecting you i would sort them out before pursuing your career further.

ps. read the links ppl have sent you that will help you!

Toujours
20th Jun 2008, 00:06
Well said 1986.

Scratch Pad
20th Jun 2008, 16:31
AMAZING GCSEs

Quite obviously not in English though, eh? ;)

ali1986
20th Jun 2008, 17:27
Someones got an enlarged ego! careful it doesn't go pop, especially on the flightdeck.

chrisy08
20th Jun 2008, 18:09
ali1986, I have no personal issues at all. Do you know me. So you got a cheek to say what you did.

Scratchpad, its a computer forum, sorry if my English is not good enough for yourself, didn't know I was still taking my English exam. If you must know I had an A in English, which I proberbly imagine is better than what you have.

As for saying about "sitting next to me in the flightdeck", if im honest I'd prefer to sit next to anyone than stuck up people like yourself :ok:

HappyFran
20th Jun 2008, 18:11
Chrissy,

Add this to your toolbar and download info

http://www.gapan.org/careers/pilotadvice.htm

Don't overlook that you will need a Class 1 medical, sort it before getting to commited :eek:

Good Luck :)

Oh and you might try contacting Thomas Harrison on this forum. I think you might find you have a lot in common :oh:

chrisy08
20th Jun 2008, 18:39
Thank you for your reply, much appriciated.

It's nice when someone helps me, rather than criticises me :ok:.

I don't think I will contact him, no offence :)

Are you looking to become a pilot HappyFran?

jb2_86_uk
20th Jun 2008, 19:03
Chrissy,

Youre like a lamb taking yourself to slaughter mate.

IF you make it through your training without your instructor throttling you, or you actually manage to hide the appauling attitude you possess during an interview and get a job - unfortuantly mate, there is a fair chance you shall end up sat next to one of these "stuck up people" on the flight deck. I genuinly feel sorry for the guy who has to endure you on a four sector day.
I also expect you won't last long as personnel will find it increasingly difficult to find a captain willing to work with you.

I think its perfect timing that there happens to be a very similar thread started at the same time as this monstrosity, by a member 'Rikesh' [Ways to get there...]. Please read this, and I suggest you regard it as the model approach when looking for information from PPRuNe. So far he has done very well for informative replies, this thread on the other hand... :ugh:

I think the key aspects to note are:
*The use of manners (they're free you know)
*Not calling people names
*Don't Brag ie, "AMAZING GCSEs" (and on that note, surely an A* would be an 'amazing result'. In my book, an 'A' is merely 'Very good')
*There are others but I dont want to waste my time or add wear to my keyboard when you won't even look or care.

JB

Sam-MAN
20th Jun 2008, 19:11
Interesting to note this...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4134386&postcount=7

GCSEs in English, Maths and Science which I have C's in

But earlier you said you had an A in english? Oh, I must be imagining things :ok: Or maybe I can smell a bit of BRAVO SIERRA!

:D

Keep this up Chrissy, giving me a good laugh :cool:

BerksFlyer
20th Jun 2008, 19:13
JB,

I was about to say exactly the same thing. Rikesh asked a question in a well mannered way, and has got good informative replies. Unfortunately, Chris' thread has got a lot more replies and it's because of his awful manner, but that's the way it is.

Chris can learn a lot about how to go about things on here from that thread.

Regarding the 'amazing' GCSE results, I refer you all to this:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4134386&postcount=7

HappyFran
20th Jun 2008, 19:14
Chrissy,

Yes, current cramming for final block of ATPL exams, and then a bit of serious fun and hour building through the summer.:O:).

Take your time with research..we are heading for a very thin time for new pilots...if you take time, you will enjoy it more, minimize your expenditure, and hopefully pop out the end in time for the next upswing :bored::ok:

N.B. Forums are very odd but can be very helpful places. If the contributors to this thread were to re-inact it in the pub, there would either be a lot of blood on carpet or a whole different tone would be adopted. I sometimes find the banter irratating/silly/funny, but unless in Jet Blast think it better if we could treat fellow ppruners as if we were debating/chatting in the pub.:=

Sorry Chrisy guess you not been in pub yet :}:};)

HappyFran
20th Jun 2008, 21:39
Seems like Pilots go through 5 stages:

1. Pilot Dreamer
No idea what is involved, differcult to find bum with both hands !

2. Wanabee Pilot
Start doing some reseach, enter forum like Pprune, seems like Virgin playing with Navies pricks.

3. Trainee Pilot
Stubbling along, lots of cock ups, knows a bit more than 2

4. Real Pilot
Super Star, Skygod, Ruler of the Universe

5. Retired Pilot
Misquote from ex Concorde pilot ' Actual realise we know f**k all but are pretty good at faking it'

Have a good weekend :)

chrisy08
20th Jun 2008, 23:14
Berksfly, Sam... I said Cs (was meant to put "Cs and above")

I can't accually believe how sad your life must be, to sit and remember past comments. Do whats best and go out and enjoy life. Really don't care if I get kicked out of this forum place but you guys need to get a life and leave people alone. Basically P:mad:S off!

JP, give it a rest mate, why do people think there superior in a place like this. All talk over a computer screen, like to see you faggots face the real world from a computer screen.

My advice from me is...

YOU REALLY NEED TO GET A LIFE, GET OVER YOURSELFS, TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED & STOP SLAGGING OFF OTHERS WHO ARE MORE LIKELY TO SUCCEED IN LIFE RATHER THAN BE COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY COMPUTER BOUNDED!!

Next time you go out, don't forget the computer.. may need to slag the next person off :ok:

rleungz
20th Jun 2008, 23:15
Well Chris you've made yourself known round here very fast:ok:

The only sponsorships that are open are Atlantic Airlines and Highlands Airways. However you need a PPL and a class one medical. They will pay for all your training and a 3 year bond with them after you finish.

I'm currently 18 years old, just finished college and have university soon. I'm currently looking into doing my PPL and working at a full time job in order to save enough money. The main thing you need is MONEY, without that no one would even look at you for flight training.
I was like you but I didn't post on the forum too many times but I did create a whole thread about 'university or not', just do research, research, research and more research.

chrisy08
20th Jun 2008, 23:21
Thanks rleungz for your advice.

Well I only go on forums when I have nothing better to do, some people (who have replied in comments above) must stay on these things all day 24/7!! Pitty really.

Well Im good like that, like to get myself known than be known as a stuck up nob like others in here.

rleungz I will take your advice on board and get back to you soon.

BerksFlyer
20th Jun 2008, 23:40
You keep saying we don't know you.

Well, you don't know anyone else either, so how can you claim that:

You are more likely to succeed than others
Others spend all their lives on computersThe lack of rational thought really is unbelievable.

RingwaySam
20th Jun 2008, 23:48
Chris, first of all critism makes people stronger. I take pictures and i've learned alot through listening. You don't seem to want to listen whether good or bad.

Also, what is you're obsession with people being on PPruNe 24/7 - Surely you must be online 24/7 to notice people being online so much? Just give yourself a break and either accept the critism or just let this thread die...

Like others have said, if you're not willing to listen you won't get anywhere, not just in Aviation but life aswell. Anyway, we'll leave you to complete the internet considering you take it so seriously.

:\

Sam-MAN
20th Jun 2008, 23:53
Yes Chris, that's the umpteenth time you've stated that we clearly have no lives and have nothing better to do than simply sit here 'slagging' other people off :ok: After all, we will almost certainly fail in life and never be as successful as yourself :(

If you'd have properly read that link I posted earlier in the thread, you'd have had your question answered all ready, I'm not sure what else you want from us?

Sam

chrisy08
21st Jun 2008, 00:03
Berkflyer, bless you, all of a sudden your defending yourself now.. maybe its because im right. Just a sad sad life you lead.

Sam-man, I have not asked anything else of you. I clearly read the helpful links, I have all of the links in my favourates and I am currently looking into them. Unless your standing outside my window, you have no idea what ive looked at.

Well im just glad I don't know you personally (Berksflyer and Sam), because if your this patronising all I can say is "Good Luck to your friends" :confused:

Well you clearly do SLAG off others, as what have you done to me! DOH :ugh:

jb2_86_uk
21st Jun 2008, 00:33
Im bored of you now

If you're gonna call us Nobs, Pricks and now Faggots when we try to help you, I hope your FI does throw you out the plane.

If I were you - time for a new screen name.

JB

Nashers
21st Jun 2008, 03:20
-says other have no life but still has the most posts up on this thread

-says dont judge him as we dont know him but still thinks without a single hour in his log book he is better than some of you with 1000's of jet hours

-DEMANDS respect after calling people nobs, prick, faggots etc

- bull****s about his grades (and i reckon age as well)

you want a bit of advice? look for another job as ur not goin to get into this industry when you behave like a plastic gansta.

save your dad the money and yourself the time. honestly, if this was a pub you would not last 2 seconds.... but as you say this is an internet forum so u talk like a big boy as you know you can get away with it.

mcgoo
21st Jun 2008, 04:39
Hmmm, I smell a troll!

multycpl
21st Jun 2008, 07:48
what do you mean by troll ?

99jolegg
21st Jun 2008, 09:52
Someone being deliberately controversial for the sake of it, I'm sure the mods have cross-checked his IP with other usernames. I guess nothing came up, which is, sadly, why he is still here.

barké
21st Jun 2008, 09:54
Wow this is real funny. Should be in the jetblast section.

Halfwayback
21st Jun 2008, 10:40
Chrissy is having a rest for a while - a week to be precise!

HWB

daria-ox
21st Jun 2008, 10:51
Chris, your attitude won't get you too far.
First of all, you've got to accept what people are saying to you. There's no one on this forum that knows completely everything about aviation. We're all trying to help each other out with what we know. Secondly, you're not always right. No one is. Everyone makes mistakes and you have to admit to them instead 'going mad'.

As I've said, first of all, before you even register with a flying school, I'll say change your attitude because an Instructor wouldn't tolerate it and you aviation career won't get too far. :ugh:

EDIT!

& this..

YOU REALLY NEED TO GET A LIFE, GET OVER YOURSELFS, TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED & STOP SLAGGING OFF OTHERS WHO ARE MORE LIKELY TO SUCCEED IN LIFE RATHER THAN BE COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY COMPUTER BOUNDED!!

People are only giving you advice and to be honest I really don't understand your behaviour. If you don't like it here, you don't have to stay. I think you know what I mean :ok:

barké
21st Jun 2008, 11:01
Good Call Halfwayback :ok:

Kerosine
21st Jun 2008, 12:37
There's only so much you can do for people:ugh:. 'Immature' is an overused term normally, however we can safely say in this case it is more than appropriate. We have all tried to reason yet he will not listen. What else can we do? What else can be said? He is now only here to desperately defend himself from his 'aggressors', there is nothing to be gained from the thread.

1 vote to ban.
1 vote to close.

(Yes under the illusion this is a democratic process:ok:)

Scratch Pad
21st Jun 2008, 12:48
Scratchpad, its a computer forum, sorry if my English is not good enough for yourself, didn't know I was still taking my English exam. If you must know I had an A in English, which I proberbly imagine is better than what you have.

Somehow I doubt it lad. Unless spelling and grammar are no longer part of the syllabus and before your next predictable riposte yes, most people consider them to be a requirement in our profession and on this our professional website.

Oh, and my tip for the day is to stop telling lies.

redsnail
21st Jun 2008, 13:06
Chris, if you can access this, buy Clive Hughes "Guide to getting a Commercial Pilot License".

All your questions and more will be answered in there. Also cross reference with LASORS on the CAA's website.

daria-ox
21st Jun 2008, 13:17
From what I see here, there's help given to Chris, but because of his attitude, people are starting to argue here. I think it would be good idea to close this thread as it doesn't help very much :ok:

ali1986
21st Jun 2008, 13:18
Chrissy, i dont see how you can call me stuck up, when your so far up your own a**e, that you cant take a tiny bit of critism from your peers.

:D

daria-ox
21st Jun 2008, 13:25
Chris!

No one is here a damn stuck up. For God's sake! Grow up! I'm sixteen and I'm more mature than you! ( i think, correct me if Im wrong ). We're all trying to help you, you're not always right you know? As I've already said in one of my posts in this thread. Change your attitude. Grow up, and maybe then come back to the forum.

If you sign on to a school, and an instructor will tell you things you do wrong/right you can't argue with him, like you do right now with loads of people. Before you write something stupid again, think twice! :ugh:

99jolegg
21st Jun 2008, 13:51
I think reading books, articles and features that have and will be suggested is a good idea. However, the many that I have read normally use sound experience of life, maturity and education as a given, therefore, they'll often offer advice as to the practical side of commercial flying rather than the personal qualities needed as prerequisites to applying to an airline. I haven't read the book Redsnail has referred you to, so could be wrong here.

Best advice I could think of for you (bearing in mind I'm no qualified than the next person) is that you start with the basics. Forget the licenses, hours, exams and airline jobs for a moment and focus the next few years on getting your personal qualities up to scratch. That is, engage in some teambuilding via work or extra-curricular activities, go to university if you can afford it, or make sure you do plenty of work around people. Voluntary work is often a good route for this - you have the opportunity to work with lots of groups of people in a hands-on and practical environment; similar to the type of work that airline piloting is based around. Also focus on your current studies so you have a good basic education.

You are right. Nobody knows you on these boards, but we do know the behaviour you have displayed....along the lines of aggressive, defensive and mostly immature.

As soon as you become a well-rounded person with a good attitude towards life and a sound education, you can only succeed.

If you don't embark on the basic stepping stones, any experienced Human Resources officer / ex airline Captain will very quickly pick up on something not being right. You might get lucky and be good at hiding certain traits, but they'll certainly have a doubt about you and be assured that if there is a doubt, you don't get the job.

Low houred pilots fighting for commercial jobs is competitive, very competitive. Why do yourself a disservice and put yourself out of the running at the beginning?

Good luck with it all :ok:

chris-squire
22nd Jun 2008, 15:45
Chris......

I was once a 17 year old in the middle of A-Levels, desperate to become a Pilot but with seemingly little or no chance of finding the money I too looked at ATC quite seriously. So believe me, I know how frustrating and mind boggling it can all be. In the end, after 4 years of working to make sure I have a back up career I was lucky enough to secure the money. I've just got my PPL and start ATPL's in a couple of weeks time so in no way consider myself to be experienced but I have been in this long enough to realise that this is a very small industry and the guys/girls you talk to on here come from a host of backgrounds pooling together a wealth of information and advice. My career started based on the advice and info I gathered on this forum. So..... with that in mind I would suggest you make use of the people on here rather than going off on one and calling people Pricks and Nobs. In short... ditch the attitude because it won't get you anywhere on here or in aviation at all.

Chris :hmm:

Halfwayback
22nd Jun 2008, 16:44
As I said, Chris is having a week's 'holiday' so cannot see or respond to the comments.

Therefore I am locking the thread and no doubt when he returns he can read some of the commonsense advice that has been offered.

I think it is fair to all parties to leave it there!

'Nuf said

HWB