PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook

Legalapproach
23rd Jan 2002, 17:19
Can any help with the following query?

I use Microsoft Outlook for some e-mail. I have a desk top and a laptop. Some e-mail is picked up on the desktop and therefore filed in Outlook on that machine. Sometimes I use the laptop and therefore end up with some messages on one machine and some on the other. Although I can obviously store stuff on floppy and switch between machines I am wondering if there is a way to transfer files in Outlook between the two machines ie have the same messages filed in Outlook in both.

I wondered if there was a way of doing it via My Briefcase but can't work out how to do this.

Any advice gratefully received.

Agent86
23rd Jan 2002, 19:40
Approach,. .You could possibly copy the inbox files from one computer to another but this could get messy.

The best approach I have found in collecting mail from different computers is to have one designated computer as your master mail system and any others (laptop, work etc) as occasional mail systems.

Leave your master system as is.

Any occasional system needs to have the messages left on the server when you read them. I am using Outlook Express 6 and the place to set this is Tools => Accounts => Properties =>Advanced. You select "Leave a copy of messages on server". You may have to search for this option in Outlook.

To get a copy of any messages you SEND from the occasional computers on the Master, just copy ( or BCC) the message to yourself and then you can collect it on your master computer.

Hope this helps

Max

Further to the above. . If you want ALL the messages on BOTH computers, you will need to set them both to leave messages on server and then periodically (and AFTER you have recieved mail on both systems) deselect the "Leave mail on server option") and clean out your mailbox. Just don't leave this too long if you have a mailbox size limit.

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: Agent86 ]</p>

FL310
24th Jan 2002, 01:56
I have the same problem...actually on three machines...

Leave a message on the server as mentioned.

In Outlook go to TOOLS than ACCOUNTS and highlight the account you want to use, click on PROPERTIES , open the ADVANCED TAB und check the LEAVE MESSAGE ON SERVER box.... .that's it...

You need to do that on all machines.

Now you have another problem, your account will fill up quickly, so once you are sure to have the files where you want them, make sure to empty the server.

RW-1
25th Jan 2002, 00:06
Ahem,

In that same options view you may specify one(I recommend one) to remove after being left on the server after XX number of days.

Or, you can specify one to remove of server when it has been deleted off that systems deleted items folder as well.

Personally, I would tell you to use one system, and access from the other locations with aweb mail proram, the good ones will let you send rcve, but do not remove off the server.

KwikPhix
25th Jan 2002, 03:34
I use a program called Express Assist 2000. It is primarily a back-up program that allows you to take a copy of all your e-mails, bookmarks/favorites, local folders etc. You store them on a back-up media,CD-RW, Floppy, Zip disk etc. If you installed the software on both machines you could simply transfer the files from machine to machine, I believe there is a facility called syncronise for just this reason although because i (fortunately ) only have one of these machines I have never had to use it. I think I paid about $20 online for the program.

stickyb
25th Jan 2002, 04:59
Just a quick point, I presu,e that you are using Outlook in POP3/SMTP mode to collect mail messages. If so, then the fix above (leaving messages on the server) will work fine. If, however, you are using Outlook to connect to an Exchange mail server, there is a better way.. .Let me know if you need details

KwikPhix
25th Jan 2002, 07:00
Further to my above reply I copied this out of the Express Assist User manual:. .Purpose

. .Express Assist allows you to copy selected folders (or all folders) from one machine to another. For example, this is very useful if you wish to temporarily copy a few folders from your main machine to your laptop for a trip; and then copy them back again on your return.

Preparation

Ensure that Outlook Express is properly installed and operational on both machines. Express Assist can not operate if Outlook Express is not installed.

Steps in Copying the Mail Folders

1. Create a backup file (See "How to Backup") containing the mail folder or folders which you wish to move to the second machine.

2. Take the backup file to the second machine (or access it via a network).

3. Load the mail folder(s) from the backup file by following the Restore process [see "How to Restore" and "Restoring Missing Folders"] or, follow the instructions for ". .Synchronizing" to synchronize the messages on the second machine.

Just what you may be looking for ?

Legalapproach
25th Jan 2002, 23:27
StickyB. .Yes pop3.

Thanks for all the advice. I shall try to get Express Assist.