PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Painting Commissioned

MMEMatty
18th Jun 2008, 19:25
Hi all,

Was wondering how i would go about getting a picture of a certain aircraft commissioned, and roughly how much it would cost?

The GAvA website says "prices from £100" (for commissions) but i was wondering how much these things end up costing?

Also anyone have any advice, tips, etc?

Brgds

matty

Tiger_mate
18th Jun 2008, 20:25
You will get what you pay for and £100 will not be much. Size is not really a factor in cost unless you are talking really big, but composition content does effect cost. A portrait of an aircraft with a generic background should be relatively inexpensive, whereas a specific and detailed background will push costs. A full time artist whose living is dependent upon work will cost many thousands of pounds and may be of no better quality then a talented individual who paints as a second occupation who can do a good job for significantly less. A print these days costs almost £100 and a remarqued print (original pencil drawing included in the border) as much as £250+.

My advice is to look for a style that is agreeable and then contact the artist direct. The medium used will effect how long a composition will take, and oils on canvas take months. Accept second best due to cost and live to regret it, better to save up and buy what you really want. You will need to consider location, season, weather, aircraft type, colour scheme, time of day, location, size, medium, required timeframe.

...oh, and you could always ask me!!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2425984080_351a88e0c3.jpg
...an example.

diginagain
19th Jun 2008, 01:09
That, Sir, is nothing short of spectacular.

Any good with Lynx?

Tiger_mate
19th Jun 2008, 06:17
Thankyou for the comment. You also said:

"Any good with a Lynx"

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and artistic quality is surely the most subjective subject on the planet. I have however done a Lynx.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2591501147_624c15abff.jpg
...and nowadays this particular background makes this nostalgia.
For those who do not know, this is the border between Eire & Northern Ireland. The watch tower was one of several now all gone as part of the peace process. As for the tone of green; it is not called the emerald isle for nothing.

diginagain
19th Jun 2008, 17:00
Whilst not as aesthetically pleasing as the Lightning, I'll grant you, the Lynx is far closer to my heart, particularly in that setting. I've gone all nostalgic now, and I'm going to have to upset the wife by looking for a print to hang in the study alongside a couple from the late John Rayson.

Thank you for sharing, Tiger_mate.

I'll be popping in to see Mark Littlejohn on RTB.

Footless Halls
20th Jun 2008, 17:01
Mary Meagher of Shenington Gliding Club did one for me and it was fantastic.

windriver
20th Jun 2008, 19:19
You might like to have a chat with Tim O'Brien over at www.timobrienart.co.uk (http://www.timobrienart.co.uk)

He's a total aviation person as well! - :ok: