PDA

View Full Version : Wibbly Wobbly (video link)

SoundBarrier
18th Jun 2008, 19:18
So I'm looking at aeroplanes doing strange things and this one thinks it's a wet dog shaking it's hair.

What's going on here, and why does it stop? It looks intentional, is it?

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=kQI3AWpTWhM&feature=related

SB

jb2_86_uk
18th Jun 2008, 19:55
Although I have no knowledge about gliders whatsoever, given the way it rises when this phenonoma starts and falls when it finishes, I would be inclined to think it maybe has something to do with flying through a turbulent updraft/thermal.

I stand to be corrected! :ok:

JB

Intruder
18th Jun 2008, 19:58
Looks like flutter from overspeed.

FE Hoppy
18th Jun 2008, 20:17
yep thats flutter.

Denti
18th Jun 2008, 21:28
It's a flutter test flight. There are other nice videos out there from other flutter test flights, the most impressive i've seen was a flutter test with the sb-9 (glider plane as well).

Normally nowadays flutter tests are done on the ground, for gilder planes, at least german build ones, usually in the DLR labs in Göttingen (institute of aerolasticity).

airfoilmod
18th Jun 2008, 21:45
My crap German tells me the pilot(?) was reading out A/S. He seemed too collected to be experiencing unexpected Flutter. Did you notice the left Aileron? How does it stay attached. That's a beefy airframe.

Denti
18th Jun 2008, 23:10
Yup, he starts with "Jetzt gehts los", basicly "it's starting now" and then he reads out airspeeds starting with 150 down to 130 (i would think km/h as that is the usual scale). Flutter is actively induced by aileron movement.