PDA

View Full Version : Transfering files to/from laptop.

Skunkworks
21st Jan 2002, 22:58
I know this has been up before but Im unable to get this to work.

I want to transfer files between the desktop and the laptop. I have network-cards in both computers and I have bought a crossover cable.

I found a guide for doing this using the netBEUI-protocol, the problem is that Im running XP on both computers and this protocol is no longer supported.

Any help is appreciated!

bblank
21st Jan 2002, 23:46
The bulletin below suggests that NetBEUI may not be included in the valuedeleted version of XP that is licensed to OEMs but that it is in a "valueadded" directory in the "full, retail-released version of Windows XP." May as well check your XP disk. There are two files you need, Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. If you can manage to get them, then details for manual installation are in the bulletin.

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301041" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301041</a>

fobotcso
22nd Jan 2002, 00:11
I suggest you use DLC, if XP supports it, otherwise TCP/IP with your own two different IP addresses and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for both.

Skunkworks
22nd Jan 2002, 00:39
DLC?

I tried installing NetBEUI from the CD (and copied the files) but I dont think it installed properly because I couldnt access the properties for it.

I might try with TCP/IP but then I suppose that I need to disable file sharing when I access the internet?

Is there any software that will work over a ethernet cable, like Laplink for example.

fobotcso
22nd Jan 2002, 01:35
I have to confess that I'm not too familiar with XP but I have used Network Interface Cards in a variety of OSs. I'll know more after tomorrow!

If XP is like W2000, and it should be, you can install TCP/IP on the NIC, excluding File sharing on the Dial Up Adapter. Indeed, most networks use IP addressing and TCP/IP protocol for day to day comms.

DLC = Data Link Control used a lot on Win NT and W2000 for printer comms but can be used between Peer to Peer network nodes. I use it on the standard network (Co-axial cable) but have never used it on a Cat 5 X-over cable without a hub.

I cam back to remind about creating "shares" but that's already been covered well by FbW.

[ 21 January 2002: Message edited by: fobotcso ]</p>

Andrew Cant
22nd Jan 2002, 01:47
If you're using a x-over cable, it works just like a hub is in place (assuming you're only using 2 PCs). Add TCP/IP to both laptop and PC. Set IP addresses as below:

Workstation. .IP Address: 192.168.2.10. .Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

Laptop. .IP Address: 192.168.2.11. .Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

These IP addresses will ensure that you will not conflict with any internet addresses if you dial out while the network is in place.

Remember to 'Share' the directory you want to pull the files from (Right-click the directory from within Windows Explorer and select Share, then give full access from the following window). Then log into the destination pc and navigate through the network to the source pc, then the directory. You shouldn't have any problems. If you get stuck, please feel free to e-mail me and I'll give you a complete talk-through.