PDA

View Full Version : 5 Sqn Lightning Wanted

5Sqn-Pilot
18th Jun 2008, 13:44
I have been tasked by my Sqn boss to try and locate a Lightning ac to be used as our sqn gate guardian. I have already contacted the Lightning Preservation Group in order to put the word out. It was suggested I might try to put up a post on this site.

For anyone who has visited the new 5 (AC) Sqn HQ at RAF Waddington, the plan is to have it on display in front of the main entrance on the airfield side.

It seems these ac are highly sought after, so any feedback would be much appreciated.

noregrets
18th Jun 2008, 13:53
Talk to your OC Supply or whatever they're called these days - there's a leaflet somewhere in the AP830 that gives you chapter and verse on how to get a gate guardian. Oh, and get your OC Eng onside too so the thing can be regularly inspected, re-painted etc.

Good luck!

Cornerstone958
18th Jun 2008, 13:58
Seem to recall on PPrune some photo's of a Lightning rotting away at Binbrook. any chance that you can rescue it?:bored:

Zoom
18th Jun 2008, 14:04
I have that very photo as my desktop but I can't find the original thread. And the Lightning is in 5 Sqn colours so you could save on paint.

NutherA2
18th Jun 2008, 14:27
Try this (with a www. in front!) to see what the current situation is. best of luck:ok:

thunder-and-lightnings/lightning/survivorspics4.html#XR725 (http://www.******************************/lightning/survivorspics4.html#XR725)

skippedonce
18th Jun 2008, 14:32
I was up at Brocklesby (ex RAF Binbrook, now looking like a traveller's camp) in early April'08 and can confirm the Lightning was still there in front of one of the hangars.

Alternatively, as the RAF no longer has a stake in Bentley Priory, there may be an airframe in much better condition looking for a new home.;)

Vick Van Guard
18th Jun 2008, 15:17
The Bentley Priory one was flogged off by the DSA some months ago, details here;

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71097&highlight=XM173 (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71097&highlight=XM173")

In fact you might want to put a post on the Key forum, there is a lot knowledge about preserved Lightning's on there.

threeputt
18th Jun 2008, 15:36
Search for "Binbrook, Lightning"; it is the fourth one down, "Binbrook".

First post has the evocative piccie.

3P:ok:

Regie Mental
18th Jun 2008, 15:37
This may also assist: http://www.britishaircraft.co.uk/aircraftpage.php?ID=48

You may have better luck tracking down a Vampire which your Sqn also flew in the distant past.

Mr C Hinecap
18th Jun 2008, 16:00
Heartily second the 'go and speak to OC Supply' advice. There are procedures for the allocation, movement, accounting for and positioning of gate guardians - not as easy as getting a mate to get a frame and asking MT to drop it outside the sqn!

Bob Viking
18th Jun 2008, 16:09
You could always wait until 11 Squadron are away, take a tow truck down to Conheadsby and steal theirs!
BV;)

ZH875
18th Jun 2008, 16:12
Is this an attempt by 5 Squadron to actually get a proper aircraft working?

Mind you, it looks a fair swap to me!

Valiantone
18th Jun 2008, 16:29
I think you did the right thing by going to LPG first, as they are more likely to know if there is anything up for grabs. but don't shoot me if I'm wrong, however. The ex flagship of 5 Squadron as flown by Wg Cdr Andy Williams, towards the end would naturally make a fine choice, I'm not sure what the status of the ex BAe a/c at my old local is.

You could ask over on Key Publishings forum, which was my former employer (thankfully I am no longer chained up in the archive) although the discussion about 724 recently claim things were due to change along with that of 770 and there was some suggestion that wild speculation would likely affect sensitive ongoing efforts to sort out new locations.

Whatever you find best of luck, I really do miss them beating up some of the NATO allies during NATO exercises like Mallet Blow and Priory....

Happy Days, although if I had payed more attention in class I might have actally got into the RAF.........

Doh........

V1

effortless
18th Jun 2008, 17:22
Ask Clarkson. His missus was pissed off no end when he put one in his garden. He is v. warry and dead supportive of our brave boys. He also owes the RAF one.:ok:

BackfromIraq
18th Jun 2008, 17:25
Ah, Andy Williams. What a gent!

sunshine band
18th Jun 2008, 19:17
Ah, Andy Williams. What a gent!I quite agree! I met him as a Group Captain one day, and Flt Lt the next... One of the few true gentleman aviators.

Have you thought about nipping up the road to free the one rusting away beside Newark?

SB

Wensleydale
18th Jun 2008, 19:22
If you want a flying one, there are several P-38s with the Confederate Air Force.:O

Stitchbitch
18th Jun 2008, 19:57
Bob V, I did wonder what that grey twin engined big job was, thought it might have been a Domine or Phantom or summat :E

Wingswinger
18th Jun 2008, 19:59
Try here:

http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/

There is a lightning undergoing a re-build there and they may be able to help in some way.

BYALPHAINDIA
19th Jun 2008, 00:28
The ex flagship of 5 Squadron as flown by Wg Cdr Andy Williams, towards the end would naturally make a fine choice, I'm not sure what the status of the ex BAe a/c at my old local is.

Valiant one, This F6?? that was donated by 5 Sqn to the people of Grimsby is now at the Nato museum that has moved from Grimsby down to Grainaby I think??

They had 3 Lightnings the last time I looked on their site.

Can't understand why CAA won't give an AOC on the 'Light' and the 'Vulc' has one.:hmm:

Would say the 'Vulc' is a just as complexed airframe.

Plenty of 'Light' Cockpits around, But not many for sale, only see 2 in the last 8 months or so.

A SYAM member purchased an F6 about 4 years ago, It lives at Doncaster with 2 others.

I felt 'sick' when I heard how much he paid for it = 2,000 for a full airframe, minus engines:eek::ugh:

Even without engines would have thought it been more???

Paul C
19th Jun 2008, 05:33
You may have better luck tracking down a Vampire which your Sqn also flew in the distant past.

There is one on a certain internet auction site for 500 pounds at the moment!

Fishtailed
19th Jun 2008, 12:12
I've heard that the Lightning at Samlesbury is to be broken up, along with the Canberra, so I'm sure the Company will give you all the help they can, as long as there are no H&S issues!!!:rolleyes:

scottc
19th Jun 2008, 12:24
5Sqn Pilot

Check your PM's

Scott

jimgriff
19th Jun 2008, 12:56
I can suppply the ejection seat for one if your short!:hmm:

sycamore
19th Jun 2008, 17:24
I think there might still be a certain S`Engo`s chair in the `Stackers` at Lyneham ,and a cushion if he`s that short ,Jim.....!

BEagle
19th Jun 2008, 18:55
I have been tasked by my Sqn boss to try and locate a Lightning ac to be used as our sqn gate guardian. I have already contacted the Lightning Preservation Group in order to put the word out. It was suggested I might try to put up a post on this site.

A gate guardian should be representative of the station's history, not just something previously flown by a new squadron somewhere else in bygone times....

The EE Lightning, fine jet that it was, has utterly no relevance to RAF Waddington.

Chris Kebab
19th Jun 2008, 19:06
Good point BEagle; can't off hand think of a similar "sqn" guardian with no station connection.

So why a Lightning over an ex 5 Sqn Javelin?

harrogate
19th Jun 2008, 19:10
The pic mentioned earlier...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2322/2457472542_c3720559b6.jpg

It's for sale in looooooaaaaads of formats here, along with some other rather lovely snaps of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/baddoggy/art/1290295-1-still-on-guard

Some of the sales proceeds for this image go straight to charity (hence another shameless plug).

Ace.

BlackadderIA
19th Jun 2008, 19:15
It's not a guardian for the Station - it is going outside the Squadron and as such is representative of the Squadron's history.

23 have got a Phantom and how many of them flew from Waddo?

(Brampton have also got a Phantom and they haven't even got an airfield!)

Green Flash
19th Jun 2008, 19:21
Benbecula has got a Phantom too!

H Peacock
19th Jun 2008, 19:24
Oi Beagle.

Having read your post in detail, I feel you have made yet another posting blunder. Are you telling me that if a Sqn moves to another Station it no longer has a claim on any of its previously operated 'hardware', or have you once again launched feet first into a thread without reading the opening post correctly!!!

I shall await your post retraction and/or apology.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Green Flash
19th Jun 2008, 20:21
I suppose you wouldn't want them to display the Sqn silver as it too has no connection with Waddo? An extremely churlish reaction, if I may say so. Sorry Beags - wrong.

BEagle
19th Jun 2008, 20:27
Are you telling me that if a Sqn moves to another Station it no longer has a claim on any of its previously operated 'hardware'

Definitely. The gate guardian should have relevance to the station's history. Waddington has an unfortunate precedent with the early E3 mob trying to ignore those who came before them - and who were an integral part of Lincolnshire life for decades.

XM607 is the only proper gate guardian for Waddington - new kids on the block can wait another quarter century before they can challenge that heritage.

Green Flush, my comment has absolutely nothing to do with Mess silver....

That 23 have one of The Crows' old F4s as a mascot is equally irrelevant.

Green Flash
19th Jun 2008, 20:37
..... :hmm: .....

BlackadderIA
19th Jun 2008, 21:25
So if they call it a mascot and not a gate-guardian can they have one then?
(no gates nearby anyway)

Could be the last?
19th Jun 2008, 21:27
It may have been posted already, but why not try and rescue the one sat next to the A1 Grantham/Newark area!! It would give the JP something to polish other than his rocket!!!!:ok:

BlackadderIA
19th Jun 2008, 21:34
I feel that one may need just a bit more than a polish!

Fire 'n' Forget
19th Jun 2008, 22:26
Beagle,

All they want is an airframe representing the squadron history to sit outside the squadron building. As 5 sqn now has a lot of army types is that wrong?

As for the "early E3 mob trying to ignore those who came before" What a crass statement, are you trying to say that no-one at Waddington on either squadron cares about the history of the station? or know about the aircraft that operated out of there?

as for "That 23 have one of The Crows' old F4s as a mascot is equally irrelevant"

No its not irelevant, who pays for the upkeep of that airframe? That airframe is the history of the squadron/RAF.

Let go Beagle, enjoy your retirement and stop the sniping. It gets tiring when ALL your posts have the undertone 'It/We were better in our day':hmm:

BEagle
20th Jun 2008, 16:19
Probably because it 'were'?

At least a Lightning saved from the scrap heap parked outside the sqn would be better than an old cannon, or a stuffed horse or whatever else the pongos might wish for...

Fair enough if it isn't the station gate guardian, I'll concede.

But when the E3 was first at Waddo, it was cetainly true that a certain knob announced that the station 'was now an air defence station' and tried to do away with all traces of the V-force era.....

And my apologies to OC 5 Sqn for being rather rude....:=

Safety_Helmut
20th Jun 2008, 16:28
Moved to Waddo in the mid 90's along with several hundred others from sunny Cambridgeshire.

At arrivals brief, young ginger haired OC GD announces that we are all there to support the E3. Grizzly old Flt Sgt in audience says "I'm not", followed by virtually everyone else in room saying the same. OC GD went redder than his hair.

S_H

4mastacker
20th Jun 2008, 18:40
There's one (T4/T5?) parked near the A52 at some cross-country snooker club just outside Wainfleet All Saints. All you need is a tractor and a towbar and a quick dash along the A52, A17 and A15 (although Boston could be a bit tricky). Pretend it's a caravan and no-one will notice. :ok:

Gnd
20th Jun 2008, 18:49
There was one in a HAS at Wattisham some years back?

Lima Juliet
20th Jun 2008, 19:22
What about the sad derelict one on the East side of the A1 South of Newark? Might need a bit of work but it should be a great addition to Harry's flagpole!

LJ:E

exscribbler
20th Jun 2008, 19:40
Yes, Leon; you're right!

Please will someone rescue F2a XN728 (ex-92 Sqn) from that field at Balderton? Once upon a time she was someone's pride and joy and now look at her!

CharlieJuliet
20th Jun 2008, 19:45
Why don't you see if you can raise some funding for this endeavour. As an ex 5 Sqn Lightning pilot (66 - 68) I would be happy to contribute. Anyone else? Perhaps the lottery might help?

exscribbler
20th Jun 2008, 19:50
There are 2 at Doncaster. F3 XP706 (although she seems to be ex-5 Sqn) is not in as good a condition as F6 XS897.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm250/exscribbler/IMG_0491a.jpg?t=1213991316

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm250/exscribbler/IMG_0492.jpg?t=1213991551

Zoom
20th Jun 2008, 21:33
the sad derelict one on the East side of the A1 South of Newark

Is that the one in a field by a crossroads? If so, I was a tad surprised to see it there as I hurtled past one afternoon. Isn't there another jet there as well, identity forgotten?

STANDTO
21st Jun 2008, 14:37
Clarksons is out

I am reliably informed he hasn't got it anymore, and it graces a roundabout in Hampshire.

BEagle
21st Jun 2008, 16:03
Jeremy Clarkson didn't actually have Lightning F Mk 1a XM172 in his garden for very long.

An ex-Coltishall gate guardian, it then went to Booker; subsequently there were plans for it to be displayed on a roundabout in Farnborough, but those fell through.

The last I heard, it had been bought by a private owner, Neil Airey, and is now in Cumbria having been reconstructed. Neil hopes to restore the aircraft to museum standard in the future, it seems.

spekesoftly
21st Jun 2008, 16:10
Mrs C was apparently very against the idea, and only agreed to its temporary placement for the programme.

effortless
21st Jun 2008, 20:35
It did a lovely job of ploughing her lawn.:E

Still think that you could ask him for a sub though. His prog has had a lot of mileage from the RAF.

BYALPHAINDIA
22nd Jun 2008, 18:35
Yes, Leon; you're right!

Please will someone rescue F2a XN728 (ex-92 Sqn) from that field at Balderton? Once upon a time she was someone's pride and joy and now look at her!

Heard that the owner of the service area is to have the aircraft restored to it's former glory??:D

Think he had heard the same question too many times - when is the lightning getting a lick of paint??:zzz:

The vandals even took the nose cone.:ugh::=

FatBaldChief
22nd Jun 2008, 20:35
There used to be a good 111 Sqn example in the now defunct museum at ex RAF Hemswell north of Scampton. Museum only shut down a couple of years ago. Anyone know what happened to that? :8

BlackadderIA
22nd Jun 2008, 21:00
The Hemswell Lightning is now at Thorpe Camp near Woodhall Spa.

harrogate
23rd Jun 2008, 11:17
... and it looks pretty good sat there...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polarpup96/2091288639/sizes/m/

country calls
23rd Jun 2008, 11:51
Quite a comprehensive list of what is where here:

http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php?type=679

Northern Circuit
23rd Jun 2008, 14:40
Clarksons ex lightning is on static display along with other a/c at Farnborough Airfield

5Sqn-Pilot
24th Jun 2008, 11:04
Wow! I'm quite surprised as to the level of feedback over such a short time. Thank you all for your ideas and inputs.

I'll give you a quick update on how the hunt is going so far...

Firstly, I would like to re-emphasise that the aircraft will be sat outside 5 Sqn HQ. It is NOT to be a station gate guard. Thank you to all those that helped clarify this point.

The squadron's intention is not to get it flying or even taxying, but simply to inspire the current generation of serving personnel posted to the squadron.

I have a full list of the whereabouts of Lightnings in the UK. The difficulty I'm having at the moment is in finding contact details for the owners. Many of the aircraft that have been mentioned have been confirmed as unavailable.

The aircraft I am currently seriously chasing up:

XP706 in Doncaster - One of the owners has contacted me and it looks like the other owners may consider a sale or loan. Pending.

XR770 in Gainthorpe looks to be available, but once again, I am having trouble getting any contact details. I may need to take a trip up to the museum to make further enquiries.

XS919 at Wonderland Play Park in Notts also looks to be available. I think they simply want to be rid of it and I am currently awaiting a Director's decision (likely to be next week).

The suggestion to chase up a Vampire or even an F3 has been taken on board. However, I'll go down that path if I fail to secure any of these Lightnings. As a side note, it took 23 Sqn about 2yrs to acquire their Phantom, and alot of hurdles along the way! I am in touch with the chap who managed to achieve it, and have had a few offers of help in physically getting an aircraft here.

I'd like to thank Andy B of LPG and Scott C for their help in identifying the available Lightnings.

I will keep you guys posted as to how I get on. Cheers!!

320psi
24th Jun 2008, 12:17
No worries is good to know we can help out.

Great news, on 770 and 919 they desparatley need saving soon, 770 would be nice to see 'brought back' as she was a 5sdq aircraft and donated to the people of Grimsby at the end of Binbrook, she was presented by John Spencer and painted up as XR728 JS for a while, then back to the red fin AA 770 livery.
Here she is in 87

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/320psi/LPG/Binbrook/41.jpg

919 is in a real state, but with some TLC she could be made to look respectable again.

Here she is in Aug 87 at the last 'wet wet' Lightning show

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/320psi/LPG/Binbrook/11.jpg

Good luck with it and all the best from the LPG, 20 years old to day :ok:

Andy B

Could be the last?
24th Jun 2008, 13:20
For the physical relocation of the ac, why don't you speak with 'Crash and Smash' at St Athan. I am sure the WO, with his team, would relish the opportunity of moving such an iconic ac.

newt
24th Jun 2008, 15:13
Just a word of caution! I spoke to the guys at Dumfries who acquired their Lightning from Ferranti and had a devil of a job moving it by road. They ended up cutting the wings and fin off!! Mainly because of new restrictions on the size of loads allowed on the road these days! It still looks very sad and will never look good because it has been butchered for the move. Maybe the RAF can get around the restrictions??

GeeRam
24th Jun 2008, 15:19
Great news, on 770 and 919 they desparatley need saving soon, 770 would be nice to see 'brought back' as she was a 5sdq aircraft and donated to the people of Grimsby at the end of Binbrook

Agreed, '770 would be most appropiate, as the last 5 Sqn 'flagship' a/c. IIRC it may have been the last to fly a 5 Sqn Lightning sortie..?
Seem to vaguely recall Furz Lloyd flying '770 on his last Lightning flight as well....?

Anna E-J
24th Jun 2008, 18:04
Hi
there is an old lightning parked at the end of the runway at Cranfield airfield with a tarp over the cockpit,it flew in with 5 others some years ago now but stayed,I think it was brought by a collector but I haven't seen it move now for some time.Its been kept outside which makes me think its not taken seriously anymore.
If you call 01234 750111 and ask for airfield security they could probably point you in the right direction, if you like I could take a photo and mail it to you ,you can see it clearly from the road.
Good luck

Mr C Hinecap
24th Jun 2008, 18:36
For the physical relocation of the ac, why don't you speak with 'Crash and Smash' at St Athan. I am sure the WO, with his team, would relish the opportunity of moving such an iconic ac.

JARTS are a pretty heavily tasked team - suggest they would be contacted soonest as the experts on such loads.

LookingNorth
24th Jun 2008, 18:38
Anna, my friend Russell Carpenter might have some objection to you calling his pride and joy something that's "not taken seriously". He's repainted XS458 more than once, keeps it in running condition and it regularly blasts down the runway at Cranfield.

A quick google found this: http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/oldstuff/2008/476cranfield/cranfield.htm

As for crash n smash, they'll want to cut any Lightning for transport based on previous efforts. Best off contacting 11 Sqn to see how they moved theirs... properly... from Leeming to Coningsby.

Rude C'man
24th Jun 2008, 23:34
GeeRam wroteAgreed, '770 would be most appropiate, as the last 5 Sqn 'flagship' a/c. IIRC it may have been the last to fly a 5 Sqn Lightning sortie..?
Seem to vaguely recall Furz Lloyd flying '770 on his last Lightning flight as well....?

ahh yes I seem to remeber working my nads off changing the engine a few days before so he could grace the linc's skys in the said ac.

As for chopping the wings off, Andy B and the boys will tell you you can just unbolt em , its not an easy job however they do come apart !!!

320psi
25th Jun 2008, 08:13
They do your right, but its one hell of a job, on two corrodied airframes.

770 and 919 have been cut and regrafted together at the fin and inboard of the oleo's before, so I think thats the best route, if this is a goer.

If you need any help or advise just shout

Good luck chaps :ok:

5Sqn-Pilot
29th Aug 2008, 16:31
It seems like a suitable time to update you all on the progress of getting our very own Lightning. I apologise for the lengthy delay.

We have a couple of potential Lightnings available to us, however, the issue of funding is seriously degrading our chances of success.

The station has held a siting board and the plans have been approved with the understanding that the sqn will finance any costs arising. Initially, this didn't seem to be much of a problem, however, we expected to achieve certain tasks within the RAF to save money. It seems the days of getting things done for a few beers are long gone, and now everything must be auditable.

The aircraft offered to us will be as a loan. Our main concerns at the moment are with financing:

- transport of the aircraft
- painting of the aircraft
- landscaping on site (to include gravel area and concrete plinths)

We have tried to get crash and smash to help us with transport, and although they are willing to help, we would be the bottom of the priority list. If any incident occurred like the Hawk crash at Cranwell during our planned move date, then we would be left to our own devices. The contingency plan of paying a company to move the ac for us will cost us in the region of £1000.

The cost of painting the aircraft will vary with the level of quality we would like to achieve. It could be in the hundreds for a basic roller job, to the thousands for a gloss finish over anti-corrosion undercoat. Obviously with the aircraft sitting outside for most of it's time, we would want the latter.

Finally, landscaping will require a gravel area with three concrete plinths to support the wheels. The estimate for this is approx £2000.

As you can see, the numbers add up quite quickly to far more than is available in our sqn fund!

We are still hoping to complete this project, but are quickly coming up against certain timescale deadlines. Any ideas for potential sponsorship with any of these tasks would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Lyneham Lad
29th Aug 2008, 17:22
With regard to funding, is there not a 5 Sqn Association that could help, run fund-raising events etc? As to moving it, here is one seen earlier :)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/Lyneham_Lad/Aircraft/Lightning_Move.jpg

It was spotted trundling around the M25 earlier this month.

bythebackdoor
29th Aug 2008, 17:52
Hello there, just been reading your thread. I was involved with the 47AD Dakota, To finance our project we had a lot of help from the AD association.
But to get the rest of the money we sold shares in the aircraft. this gave enough money to complete the project and left some for repainting and repair work.
crash and smash moved it for us. we had a full police escort from Coventry to Lyneham.
As for painting we rolled ours and it looks good. loads of photo's on line if you use google.
pm me if need help.

Wensleydale
29th Aug 2008, 20:19
One would have thought that the prime contractors for ASTOR would feel guilty enough to cough up the cash for you... I am sure that they have not lost money due to the delays of getting the system into service.....
I seem to recall that the contractors for the Sentry were not slow in paying for the 90th anniversary tail flashes for 8 and 23. A suitable plaque on the Lighning plinth should suffice.

Craven Moorhed
29th Aug 2008, 21:41
To Lyneham Lad and others-

There is a 5 Sqn Assoc'n, but the funds avail would only stretch to getting the tyres pumped up !
The annual fee is only a couple of quid, so funds aren't great obviously.
5 Sqn ATC would love to come and dig the land out & gravel it perhaps ?
And then a simple roller paint job till funds permit a proper shiney job ?
Or a simple appeal for funds from any ex 5 Sqn mate and/or lightning jockey ?
I'd be happy to cough up for such a good cause.

Twin Rotor Fun
30th Aug 2008, 09:24
As for moving the aircraft, have you thought of asking SHFHQ at RAF Odiham?
It would make an interesting load and some good training for JHSU.
The aircrafts weight and distance to be flown would be factors but we should be able to save you the hassle and expense of cutting off the wings/tail for road movement.

reds & greens
24th Mar 2009, 21:27
How about an update from the thread originator (or nominated deputy if that person has moved on). The airframe for 5 AC sqn has been outside today (great to see as I walked past). What are the current and future plans?

BlackadderIA
24th Mar 2009, 22:14
Not sure what's happening next - last weekend's sudden spurt of effort was mainly due to an upcoming 'elf n safety inspection of the hanger (and the expected questions from the inspectors about the large pile of Lighting parts in one corner - a positive trip hazard :bored:)
No sign of 5's most serviceable aircraft this afternoon - rumour had it she was on a P Sortie :)

Al R
24th Mar 2009, 22:35
.. if an undercoat for the ally and possibly the best anti corrosion treatment going is needed, I might be able to help. The terms would be at cost price and not foc (in all probability), but it could be of help.

Drop me a PM if you need more info.

ursa_major
25th Mar 2009, 15:30
Currently 5's Lightning is parked up behind the air ambulance hangar, should be easily visible from the A15.

Al R
25th Mar 2009, 18:11
Further to my last of yesterday, the offer of the anti corrosion and metal treatment has been confirmed by my colleague, who will be more than pleased to help. By happy coincidence, a close family friend of his has XR755 in his front garden.

5Sqn-Pilot
26th Mar 2009, 15:37
The Lightning took a significant step toward readiness for the Waddington Airshow last weekend. Having been re-assembled, it was towed out to Waddington Airfield's Bravo Dispersal on its own wheels. The work was completed thanks to the efforts of a select few of our riggers. Even a few pilots got their hands dirty!

The plan is to have it restored over the coming months leading up to the Airshow. The painter will begin restoration work soon and is aware of our time constraints. If the aircraft is ready in time, we plan to have Gp Capt Andy Williams unveil it at the Airshow. The owners and the LPG are likely to have stalls alongside the aircraft.

This project is going to cost a significant amount of money and any offers of funding can be PM'd to me. We have thus far raised approx £400, but are far from the goal of raising £3000! It would be nice to see the aircraft back to its former glory.

To help with fund-raising, we are planning a run of Lightning die-cast models at 1:72 scale. The models will be in XR770's flashy red/grey livery and will be available from me by the end of April. This would allow people to make a suitable donation and receive something back for their generosity.

The aircraft is in reasonably good condition, although there are a few items I am still trying to source. The probe is currently missing, a new port flap section would be beneficial, and engine tail-pipes would make the rear look more complete. The station workshop may be able to help 'manufacture' these for us, but we would be grateful if some original parts were made available to us.

Offers of cadets to help with plinths and anti-corrosion primer for the aircraft are appreciated and I have PM'd you. Thank you all for your help so far.

OIC 5 (AC) Sqn Lightning

EGGP
26th Mar 2009, 17:46
Will details of how to purchase the die cast model be posted on this thread in due course?

sunshine band
26th Mar 2009, 19:37
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/xr770wad260309.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/xr770frontwad260309.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/xr770backwad260309.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/xr770backtallwad260309.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/xr770insidefrontwad260309.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/xr770insiderearwad260309.jpg

Help this cause, you know you want to! Such a shame that I'll be away and miss meeting Andy Williams again- a true gent.

SB

Audax
1st Apr 2009, 16:53
Re Lightning jet pipes, on the grass behind MT at Linton there is a jet pipe (don't ask me why) which looks to me to be Lightning style, it's the right length and diameter. Not in pristine condition but could be a good starting point.

Al R
12th Oct 2011, 10:41
Leon said: What about the sad derelict one on the East side of the A1 South of Newark? Might need a bit of work but it should be a great addition to Harry's flagpole!

LJ

I hear it has now gone, sold for scrap?

Shame - it was an enjoyable IP, homeward bound.

diginagain
12th Oct 2011, 11:41
Might not be all bad news. (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showpost.php?p=1805215&postcount=61)

NutLoose
31st Oct 2014, 20:56
And 5 years on she is now for sale on Gumtree

English Electric Lightning Mk6 (Real Aricraft) | United Kingdom | Gumtree (http://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/english-electric-lightning-mk6-real-aricraft-/1080353432)

Along with a Tonka

http://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/panavia-tornado-gr1-real-aircraft-/1080357134

Fox3WheresMyBanana
31st Oct 2014, 21:36
You could always wait until 11 Squadron are away,....

It's been tried...but unless you're prepared to dredge the entire Fens, you'll never find the bodies...:E

Valiantone
31st Oct 2014, 23:08
I seem to recall reading on the EE Lightning Appreciation Group Facebook page, and heard elsewhere that the owners are selling them so they can get the T.5 which is kept with the Tornado back to ground running and taxiing condition.

Best of Luck to them

V1