PDA

View Full Version : Qantas/Eastern abandon Wollongong

criticalmass
18th Jun 2008, 11:47
Reported in the Illawarra Mercury that Qantas are to abandon the Wollongong-Melb Dash-8 service with effect from 18th July.

Wonder what the implications are for YWOL?

neville_nobody
18th Jun 2008, 11:49
They won't have an air service to Melbourne? :}

Boss
18th Jun 2008, 13:47
There's always one isn't there :rolleyes:

Tmbstory
18th Jun 2008, 19:05
Criticalmass:

It is a pity to see services withdrawn from a city, I remember flying some of the early services in the commuter days in a Cessna 402 in January 1968 on the sectors Wlm,Sy,Wol, Cb,Wg, Cb, Wol, Wlm. It was a good days work (about six and a half hours) and kept you honest, I enjoyed the work.

Tmb

Maggott17
19th Jun 2008, 10:15
I wonder if this has anything to do with ANSA not being able to provide an RNAV approach from the south?

WW tried really hard to get them to design one, but they wouldn't do it without the money up front. But QF pay ANSA heaps in airways charges so why should they have to pay for a new approach that everyone could use?

It must have cost heaps to overfly from the south every day there was cloud around the hills?

Does anyone else in Aus design approaches anymore?

Has ANSA and CASA organised a monopoly designed to allow ANSA to provide a profit to the shareholder, the GOVERNMENT? Sounds like another hidden tax.

What does ANSA do in relation to instrument approaches to new airfields or airfields that THEY are pulling out the NDBs?

I would not like to be the boss of the AIS when the ANSA board abandon her to the wolves, next week. She came from Centrelink so at least she knows how to get unemployment benefits.