PDA

View Full Version : 110V to 240V

JP Justice
17th Jan 2001, 19:58
My son is working in Caracas which has 110V electrics. He has a UK-spec Canon bubblejet printer. Is there an affordable gadget that will let him use the printer on the local power supply.

Feline
18th Jan 2001, 00:39
JPJ: Your son needs an autotransformer (or step-up transformer)110vac to 220vac. It should rated at a minimum of 50va although I would suggest trying to get one rated at 100va which will run a bit cooler.
I have sometimes seen them on those racks offering travelling gadgets (you know, inflatable collars, secret money purses).
Two things to watch for - it needs to be rated at a minimum of 50va continuous (if the rating is 50va intermittent it may not last long). Also, be aware that there are "step-down" gadgets from 220v to 110v (basically a power resistor in a box). These do NOT work as step up devices - you need a transformer. Alternative source of supply would be a radio/electronics parts supplier, although then you might get a bare transformer and need to put it in some sort of a box.
Hope that helps ..

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

Startup
18th Jan 2001, 15:18
The printer may have a switch on it to flick between 110 and 220V inputs (it might even be autosensing... most laptop power supplies are). In which case, he'll just need a plug adapter.

You could botch it by getting a UK to US (step down) adapter, ripping out the transformer and connecting it up the other way. You'd need to buy a Venezuelan plug and a UK socket though.

AquaPlane
18th Jan 2001, 17:21
Look on the label of the printer (or it's PSU if it separate) and see if the voltage is 110-240v or just 220-240v. If it's only 220-240v, then you will need a step-down box. Maplin used to do these sorts of things, may want to look at their site or call then ( www.maplin.co.uk (http://www.maplin.co.uk) )

Aq

The Unteleported Man
22nd Jan 2001, 12:54
If it's an external supply you can buy a 240V model from your local Canon dealer. Might be neater and cheaper.

------------------
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.

ExSimGuy
22nd Jan 2001, 13:17
A replacement supply probably won't be a cheaper solution - last time our company "lost" a supply (there are 100v and 220v sockets in most places, and some idiot always plugs something into the wrong one!) the price of a replacement Canon supply was exorbitant!

I'd go with a "cheap" 110/220v transformer; I'm sure he can get one from any electrical hobby shop or electrical/electronic parts supplier. One warning though; do get one with about twice the wattage rating that the printer is supposed to need as the cheap ones tend to be rather inneficient.

Also make sure that it's located somewhere that it can get a decent air-flow as they get hot even when the printer is off!

------------------
What Goes Around . . . . .
. . often makes a better landing