PDA

View Full Version : AIRLAW OPs Blues

GATZY
18th Jun 2008, 11:12
i am suffering badly with the subjects of airlaw and ops.
I cannot seem to get the info to the brain.
As the subjects are so dry it is have detrimental effects on my ability to learn them.

so i am asking anyone please
whats methods you using to remeber the key infomation?

are there any form of cheat sheet or ready reckoners that i can use?

or what books or tools can you recommend to use?

please please help

regards GATZY

geordiejet
18th Jun 2008, 11:41
Feedback feedback feedback!

That's how I did it. Same with RadNav. Got 100% on both.

Do a little book work, but it's the feedback that got me through.

potkettleblack
18th Jun 2008, 12:02
Soon enough there will be the usual motley crew coming on here bleating on about how you need to know the subjects etc etc. In the case of Air Law and the majority of Ops my money is on rote learning from the BGS website. Very little of those subjects you will use during your career. If your instructors are any good then hopefully they will highlight the bits that are relevant and the rest will be a matter of ticking the boxes. Sad to say it but those are the joys of the ATPL's.

18th Jun 2008, 12:14
GATZY - I came across this when I was searching for other mnemonics. I've no idea if it's any good as I'm not on Airlaw yet.

Good luck!

Air Law - 18 Annexes:

'Personnel Licensing'.....that's us, and we are always the most important, hence No.1
Pilots are trained never to stick TWO fingers up at the 'Rules Of The Air'.....No.2
Met Services......think of freezing......threezing......No.3
'Aeronautical Charts'....think 'JEPY', which has four letters in it.....No.4
'Units Of Measurement'.....My favourite unit is a pint of lager, which I hold in my right hand, using its FIVE digits...No.5
For some, the 'Operation Of Aircraft' can lead to lots of sex (SIX)......No.6
'Aircraft Nationality And Registration Marks'......Found on the wing, fuselage and vertical surfaces of all the aircraft that take you to warmer climes, to swim in various SEAS.....think of the SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE by Queen.........No.7
'Airworthiness Of Aircraft'......Airworthiness starts with an 'A'. Only one number sounds like it starts with an 'A'......EIGHT........No.8
'Facilitation'.....This is passengers and cargo......Think of a nasty German customs agent refusing you entry......NINE!!!!........No.9
'Aeronautical Telecommunications'......Telecommunications makes you think of a telephone. When you rotate your head 90 degrees to the left the number '10' looks like a telephone, with the '1' being the handset and the '0' being the main body of the telephone.........No.10
'Air Traffic Services' . These people are in constant communication with pilots in the sky by using VHF, so think of the number '11', with both '1's pointing upwards transmitting the necessary information........No.11
Before any accident investigation can begin 'Search And Rescue' confirms there has been an accident......'12' comes before '13'..........................No.12
'Aircraft Accident Investigation' -It hasn't been your day, you've been very unlucky, like the number '13'.........No.13
'Aerodromes' - SIR SEEWOOSAGUR RAMGOOLAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.....................Mauritius's premier aerodrome, with a name not to forget, insists that jet aircraft use runway '14', so don't forget......No.14
'Aeronautical Information Services'....Abbreviated gives 'AIS'.......Imagine the 'I' and 'S' are instead a '1' and '5'........No.15
You become an adult when you are 16, and being an adult means you accept adult responsibilities.....like 'Environmental Protection'.........No.16
'Security'.......Essential.......Add the number of letters in both words together gives '17'.........No.17
'The Safe Transport Of Dangerous Goods By Air'.........If not adhered to, it could be the LAST flight you make. LAST of all the Annexes........No.18

GATZY
18th Jun 2008, 22:00
regards to all
i thought as much i am already doing the rote learning approach but i feel that this is not the right way to learn or remember.

but hey as long as i pass thoose pesky exams!

the last comment yes i come accross a similar one and yes it does make you remember simply beacuse it is daft!

cheers all keep em coming if you have any other way

Whirlygig
18th Jun 2008, 22:38
I suspect "read and remember" is the only way to "learn" these subjects; I do not know of any other way! There are no concepts to learn, there is no intrinsic understanding, no derivation from first principles; just FACTS. And facts which are not even necessarily logical!

Cheers

Whirls

XL319
18th Jun 2008, 22:39
your not the only one....We are all going through it....I'm hating MET, but advice i can give is read read and read......and also use the question banks...they are good.

3 months access at Bristol's question bank is £50

Im hating this part of the training as im much more of a practical hands on person, but fingers crossed getting through it slowly.