PDA

View Full Version : Evidence Elliminator

Slasher
16th Jan 2001, 14:12
Lately Ive seen banner-ads about a new program called Evidence Elliminator. This thing is meant to clear any trace of previous sites youve visited, pics youve seen/sent, sounds, etc.

Unfortunateley it isnt free, so before I shell out any bucks:

Anyone have it?
Is it any good?
Worth the money?
How does it work?

Thanks in advance.

Capt Byrd de Styrke
16th Jan 2001, 14:59
The only way of physically getting rid of "evidence" is to either destroy the hard drive or format/fill up the hard drive to capcity with data several times over.

I personally would not waste your money,
unless you are very worried !

On a regualar basis:-

a) delete all cookies
b) Deleting all offline content and history (cache) from Internet Options

Fitztightly
16th Jan 2001, 16:22
I have got Norton Systemworks which (within 'utilities') has got a US Government wipe facility for free disk space. After I have periodically cleaned out internet history, cookies etc and defragmented, I do a government wipe (overnight! got caught out the first time it took hours!) so I guess that may be something you could consider. I think this is good practice regardless of your reasons to ensure files and fragments are deleted :-) as it keeps RAM and your machine in general uncluttered.

Bird Strike
16th Jan 2001, 18:31
Slash,

Have you tried PGP? It has some facility to properly 'wipe' the deleted data.

Delete all the cookies and off-line contents, history and temporary internet files, and then run PGP's clean up thing (I can't remember its proper name).

E-mail me if you need any further info, as I do not visit here very often.

Eric
17th Jan 2001, 16:02
Slash,

I use the paranoia tab on Tweak UI (on Windows disk or download) with all options ticked and BC Wipe from http://myhug.virtualave.net/bc_wipe.htm which erases files much the same as Evidence Eliminator.
Can't imagine why you'd need these though :)

Bollocks!
17th Jan 2001, 21:27
Don't forget regedit to get rid of those typed url's!

CrashDive
20th Jan 2001, 00:47
Slasher, I have a copy, and it is VERY good indeed !!!

It's a doddle to install, but it does take a while to run - about 15 to 20 minutes - and this is regardless of how busy you might have been perusing all those sites full of gentlemans relish ! ;)

Nb. It's 3.5 Mb, and on it's way to you now.

Ps. Anything to keep the vice squad from the door huh !?

...... and for the record (hence the edit) the version that I (and Slasher will) have is from the cover disk from the 'PC Answers' magazine from a few months back.

[This message has been edited by CrashDive (edited 19 January 2001).]