PDA

View Full Version : HKG Boat Living

FoamFlier
17th Jun 2008, 23:20
Hello all,

I'm a FedEx pilot essentially being forced into HKG with our new Guangzhou hub opening soon. I am trying to get a lay of the land/water in the HKG area. Thinking about living on a boat as I hear some of the CX guys do. Does anyone have a good source for a junk or similar type power boat? Also, just trying to decide if it is a comfortable way to live in HKG. I'm single with no kids and might have only a part time live in girlfriend. Thanks for any help/suggestions offered.

Clay

HKJunkie
18th Jun 2008, 01:29
Foamie,
Lots of opportunity for boat purchase or rent in HKG. Biggest problem is finding a place to moor the boat as a live-a-board. DB is near enough full as is Hebe. Gold Coast is limiting live-a-board numbers.
Some junks available for rent in DB around around 30-40K a month.
For purchasing try Synergy (brokers). They have a web site. Also get hold of a copy of Fragrant Harbour magazine for more sales.

FoamFlier
18th Jun 2008, 07:50
Thanks Junkie,

I'll try to get a copy of that, Im starting to sniff around a bit. I think you are right, the boats seen easy enough to find but very little info on a slip or mooring. Thanks again for the help.

broadband circuit
18th Jun 2008, 09:26
What do you mean "forced" into HK? If you're based in Guangzhou, it's well over 2 hours from HK, with an international border crossing on the way, which can get VERY busy.

Check your salary/benefits package. If you don't have a housing allowance, good luck in HK

kluge
19th Jun 2008, 04:39
A mate of mine has a liveaboard timber junk in superb condition.
Have been on board it many times.

Fully converted, SMEG appliances, granite worktops in kitchen and bathroom. TV lounge (40inch flat sceen with Sony surround sound) and double bedroom fully carpeted.
Full shorepower and freshwater, aircons etc.
BBQ.
Berthed in Aberdeen

A great lifestyle and cheap to boot.

Let me know if you want an intro. I think he;s looking about HK$1.5M.

Pogie
19th Jun 2008, 09:16
Don't worry about bringing the part time girl friend over. You can rent them here cheaper!

FoamFlier
20th Jun 2008, 01:45
BrdBndC,

Well Forced is a little strong, more of persuaded with the choice of huge pay cut and demotion, or go to the HKG base with a laughable compensation package. The hub will be in CAN and the crew base is in HKG. It's a nasty situation, I'm just trying to get all options so I can make the best of it.
P.S. Our union has basically thrown us under the bus! Little to no help there.

Kluge,

I would love an intro thanks, if anything to bounce a couple questions off of. Would also like to take a peek at the boat too. Just send a PM if you can. Cheers

Pogie,

Yea the rentals are good, but those are for the trips!
SIN, BKK,....:ok:

rick.shaw
30th Jun 2008, 20:53
Just out of curiousity, are Fedex arranging the transport to and from CAN across the border?

TheChitterneFlyer
30th Jun 2008, 21:15
As a single guy, I thoroughly enjoyed living aboard my Gin Palace moored in DB. My boat was a seagoing twin-screw Hatteras 56; fabulous boat, but very expensive to maintain. If you know nothing about boats, get yourself a good surveyor; in fact, it's a must, because the bank won't fund the mortgage without a survey report... if you're buying that is!

Beware of the golden handcuffs! Another good bit of advice... if it flys floats or £ukcs... rent it, don't buy it!

TCF