PDA

View Full Version : why is it in the cockpit of an airliner pilots dont wear their headsets properly?

hilrtougi
17th Jun 2008, 21:34
in many youtube videos that i ve seen, the captains always slide the ear piece for the right ear slight to the back of the ear, and the 1st officer does it for his left ear. is there a particular reason for this? to hear each other better? isnt there something called the intercom?

IrishJetdriver
17th Jun 2008, 23:38
Only reason I am aware of, and I have flown for 2 airlines is during the start checklists when you don't want or need the groundman who is plugged in on a headset outside to hear you. You turn the intercom off and leave one ear uncovered so you can hear each other. You can still hear the groundman as his intercom comes on when he talks to you, and you can talk to him by using the trigger intercom.

Otherwise both ears are covered.

I understand that people who do not listen "in stereo" can be more likely to suffer from tinitus.

G SXTY
17th Jun 2008, 23:46
Absolutely correct.

We don't go on 'hot mic' until the ground crew have disconnected, and leave one ear free so we can hear each other.

SMOC
18th Jun 2008, 00:01
Some airlines also don't use the hot mike technique so therefore use one ear for ATC/Ground ENG and the other for cockpit communication, I personally keep the inboard ear slightly ajar so I can hear cockpit noises, they can be useful in situational awareness.

PA28pilot
18th Jun 2008, 00:54
We use 'both-ears-on' and a latching intercom switch, after ground crew disconnect. Add in some Active Noise Reduction headsets and the silence is deafening!

However on my aircraft type the interphone does not work '3-way'. With a jump seat observer (perhaps a YouTube cameraman?!) we revert to the old 'one-ear-off' method to converse with the third crew member.

SNS3Guppy
18th Jun 2008, 00:55
why is it in the cockpit of an airliner pilots dont wear their headsets properly?

Many headsets only serve one ear. Why would you assume that a pilot wearing the headset with one ear uncovered is acting "improperly?" There is no proper way to wear the headset. The only consideration is that one is still able to communicate.

Many pilots at my employer elect to use single headsets, that is, one which serves only one ear. It's generally easier to turn and speak to the person next to us, rather than use the intercom system. One earcup on a dual ear headset is worn off the ear, typically, to facilitate intercockpit communication.

I use a lightweight headset and place it over, or near each ear, because I don't hear well when the sound is coming in just one ear.

DeltaIndiaSierraPapa
18th Jun 2008, 12:43
Wear a set of large headphones for up to 8 straight hours. Not terribly comfortable is it? Also situational awareness considerations may also be involved.

Intruder
18th Jun 2008, 15:50
Some aircraft, e.g., 747, do not have Hot Mike intercoms, so cockpit conversation is not done via the intercom. Hence, one earpiece is off for cockpit conversation.

hilrtougi
19th Jun 2008, 14:35
thanks guys!

sevenstrokeroll
20th Jun 2008, 19:12
it really depends on the kind of plane.

at my airline, most folks wear a small ear piece in the ear nearest the window, leaving the other ear open to the other pilot. Plus the boom mic of course.

are you thinking mainly of turboprops and Dave Clark style headsets? I'm talking about big jets.