PDA

View Full Version : Why do HTML e-mails appear only as attachments in Outlook?

beaver eager
16th Mar 2001, 23:27
When the same e-mail is viewed in Outlook Express it looks as it should, i.e. like a web page but in Outlook there is no body to the e-mail itself and just twelve file attachments. The first of these contains the text and the remainder contain all the gifs and links.

Sorry to take the easy option and ask for help here, but I can't stand the thought of another night searching the microsoft knowledge base!

I guess there's a box to tick in options somewhere, but I'm dammed if I can find it!

Thanx folks...

spannersatcx
17th Mar 2001, 00:59
Message formats
Microsoft Outlook can send and receive messages in three formats: HTML, Outlook Rich Text, and plain text. You can specify one of these three as a default message format that you want to use for most messages, but you can always switch to a different format for an individual message. The message format that you specify is independent of your choice of message editor. For example, you can choose Microsoft Word as your default message editor and then specify a message format to use in Word.
HTML

Choose HTML if you want these features: text formatting, numbering, bullets, alignment, horizontal lines, backgrounds, HTML styles, and Web pages. You can use Stationery and Signatures with HTML, but if you’re using Word 2000 as your e-mail editor, you must specify those options in Word. HTML is not available if you're using Word 97 as your e-mail editor.

Choose a default message format
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Format tab.

In the Send in this message format list, click the format you want.
Tips

If you use HTML as your new message format, you can use stationery to change the background and fonts used in the message.
By default, when you respond to a message in Microsoft Outlook, your reply is formatted the same way as the original message. For example, if you reply to a message sent to you in plain text, Outlook sends the response in plain text. However, you can change the message format of your reply. Place the insertion point in the message body, click the Format menu, and then click the name of a message format.

beaver eager
17th Mar 2001, 18:48
Thanks for trying spannersatcx,

I guess I should have specified that I'm using Outlook '97 (part of Office Professional '97). There isn't a Mail Format tab in the options menu. (Tools/options from the tools menu in inbox/outbox - as opposed to having opened a message although there isn't one there either!)

Maybe I need an upgrade, can you buy the upgrade to Office 2000 from '97 or do upgrades only work from the previous version?

------------------
Keep it up!