PDA

View Full Version : Squadron Songs and Songbooks

foldingwings
17th Jun 2008, 17:56
Many of you regulars may recall this (closed) forum:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39434&highlight=buccaneer+songbook

I have just found this by Googling "Buccaneer Songbook":

The Buccaneer Songbook is now available to coincide with the 50th Anniversary of the First Flight of the Buccaneer.

Published in paperback at circa £10 (exc. P&P), the Buccaneer Songbook contains over 100 songs that were sung throughout the Buccaneer’s career in the Fleet Air Arm, the South African Air Force and the Royal Air Force. Such songs as: Auntie Mary; The A25; Give Me Buccaneers; When XV Came to Laarbruch; We’re 16 Squadron; The Flag; plus those from the final years at Lossie and many many more from the FAA and RAF plus a number of songs that were sung on 24 Squadron SAAF at Waterkloof Air Base. The book is illustrated with excellent photographs of the Buccaneer and also includes a number of photographs of the characters who flew it and sang about it. Additionally, each section contains explanations and amusing anecdotes about when, where and why the songs came about and who was responsible for their writing. The book also includes all the raucous numbers that would be anticipated in a volume that reflects the social life of the people who flew the Buccaneer with such skill and vigour either ‘Off The Deck’, ‘Over The Veldt’ or ‘Over Land and Sea’, in both peacetime and in war. It even includes the complete words of Eskimo Nell!

The Buccaneer Songbook is David Herriot’s compilation and personal collection of a period in military aviation history that will never be repeated – the Buccaneer was ‘British Through and Through’ and the people who flew it ‘Were the First of the Few!’ Quite naturally, given that it covers a period when virtually anything was fair game, the book contains adult material and is refreshingly non-PC.

It's evidently available on Amazon as well as direct from the publisher.

Foldie

Snapshot
17th Jun 2008, 22:47
Blimey FW's
sitting here on a hellish windswept Cape Town Winters night, just checked
the 'closed' thread you mention and found I started it :eek:

Brought back some smiles though reading down the posts!
Can't believe that was 2001!

Anyway, the book is awesome, a must for Banana mates!
Some cracking photographs in there too! ;)
Faster, Lower, Longer...
AB

Wensleydale
18th Jun 2008, 07:58
I thought that the Buccaneer Songbook was a pirate copy.......:sad:

Romeo Oscar Golf
18th Jun 2008, 10:13
Good call Foldie; can't sing myself, but can remember many of the songs and more importantly the occasions and locations. Well worth a few bob!
Also, with bananas on the mind, Tom Eeles's book " A passion for flying" is well worth a read as it recreates the atmosphere and attitudes prevailing at the time for the enthusiastic aircrew mate.:ok: