PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

max headroom
20th Jan 2002, 22:51
My son decided to "speed up" my PC and removed what he thought were redundant programmes.(He can't remember which ones!!)I now get the dreaded blue screen and the following message.InvalidVxD dynamic link from VSDATA95(01)+0001495C to device 0028 service 800A.
Your window configeration is invalid Run window setup programme.
I can only get safe mode start up,I have looked at all the progs I think it could be,but cannot run Win95 disc in safe mode.I cannot find anything in recycle bin that could be cause.
I am always amazed at the depth of knowledge on this forum so any ideas?

BayAreaLondoner
20th Jan 2002, 23:36
MH the other thing to look at once booted in Safe Mode is in the win.ini file (run sysedit.exe) and look at the load= and run= lines. If there are programs listed there, make a note of them and erase them, leaving load= and run= empty.
Another thing to look at is the startup programs set to load in the registry. Use regedit to inspect this. I can't remember off the top of my head where they are located in the registry, but should be somewhere in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
If you do need to do a reinstall, I would suggest giving it to your son as a project, seeing as he broke it :)

bblank
20th Jan 2002, 23:59
In your C root directory you will find a file called bootlog.txt. Compare it to the copy you made of this file when your computer was booting correctly. It may help you localize the problem.

HandyAndy
22nd Jan 2002, 11:24
I understand this (vsdata95.vxd) is a ZoneAlarm file. Do (did) you have ZoneAlarm installed? If so, ZoneAlarm can be quite fussy about being uninstalled correctly, so the following link might help:

<a href="http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support_install_95.htm" target="_blank">ZoneAlarm Uninstall</a>

Try doing the uninstall in safe mode, removing all references to it in the registry.

Good luck & hope this solves your problem.

Best!. .HA

[ 22 January 2002: Message edited by: HandyAndy ]</p>