PDA

View Full Version : 12v Bluetooth adaptor with 3.5mm jack output

The late XV105
17th Jun 2008, 14:25
Technology related, so I hope I get away with this.

Background:
Until now I have been using satnav on my motorcycle by running a cable with 3.5mm mono jack on each end between iPAQ PDA GPS and my Autocom intercom. Although audio only (the GPS sits out of sight in a tupperware box in my tank bag) it works a treat as a 3,000 mile round trip in a week between UK and Czech Republic testifies.

Given that I regularly drive to Czech Republic and therefore already knew that my TomTom 5 maps are very poor for this part of the world, having proven worth on my bike as well as car I want to upgrade to TomTom 6 with it's much more complete mapping.

To do this, I want to buy a TomTom Rider device that will work in car (a bracket is available) as well as (visibly this time) on bike, but these have no 3.5mm output, only bluetooth.

Fine, but my Autocom unit does not support the Bluetooth dongle that this manufacturer now makes (because of the way power is supplied to it) so I need to find an alternative.

Request:
Please recommend a adaptor that can receive the TomTom Rider bluetooth signal and then output it via lead terminated with 3.5mm jack. The device must be suitable for "fitting and forgotting" under the seat with bike 12v power, not it's own battery power.

TVM

Background Noise
17th Jun 2008, 16:29
Not your specific request I know but TT6 is available for PDA, with European mapping.

The late XV105
17th Jun 2008, 16:49
Yes, it is, thank you, but my five year old iPAQ 2210 runs a version of Windows Mobile that both TT6 and my SysOnChip CF Card antenna won't run on and which can't be hacked to do so.

Given that I now have a Blackberry that meets my mobile computing needs, all the PDA gets used for is GPS in car and on motorbike, so it's time to move on and buy something better suited to these specific tasks.