PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Dubai

Grass strip basher
17th Jun 2008, 13:06
Not strictly an topic for this forum I know but I hope the moderators will tollerate it for a while (the private flying forum doesn't really cover this)... my problem is I am moving to Dubai in a couple of months and I hear that the GA scene is frankly pants... is it true there is no real light aircraft scene in the UAE?? What do you guys do when you want to do some "real stick and rudder" flying?? Is there nowhere you can get your hands on a cub or Yak in Dubai!....

Gulfstreamaviator
17th Jun 2008, 13:11
Drive up north, and go to UAQ flying club, nice guys, but yes PantS in UAE.
There is an interesting shop there as well, sells many local souvenirs.

glf

John Miller
18th Jun 2008, 05:20
There are two airfields to indulge private flying: Umm Al Qaiwain and Al Jazirah and they are about 15 kilometres apart. UAQ for Cessnas etc and AJ for ultralights. AJ in particular is a friendly and lively spot at weekends and becoming very popular amongst ex-pat and Emirati pilots and enthusiasts - Friday seem to be the best day. UAQ has a busy skydiving club. I'm there at least two weekends a month - lot more fun than the malls.

If you'd like more info pm me or email: john @ meflyer . com

sispanys ria
18th Jun 2008, 09:50
I guess the question was about stick and rudder and not wheel and slippers...
To my knowledge, there is no exciting aircraft to fly in the area (and I wouldn't mind to fly a 180HP cub with huge wheels to land on the sand !)