PDA

View Full Version : Transfer in Saudi

ManaAdaSystem
17th Jun 2008, 08:45
I'm planning a trip on ID tickets, and one option is to travel via RUH. Are there any restrictions on female attire when in transit there?

What about on board SV aircraft?

Any special consideration?

Thanks in advance.

metro301
17th Jun 2008, 09:16
Wear conservative clothes, she should be fine at the airport.

Nothing special on SVA airplanes. It is funny to watch the women jettison the abaya's as soon as the door is closed on an international flight.

Check the Saudi consulate website for visa info. Unless you are from a GCC country, I don't think you will get on the flight without a transit visa.

ManaAdaSystem
18th Jun 2008, 08:09
Thanks metro,

Didn't think of the transit visa. There also seems to be a lot of embargos on SV routes, so I'll look at other options first.

metro301
18th Jun 2008, 08:19
No problem.

Probably best to have a different primary plan.

The embargo is USUALLY for reduced rate positive space tickets. I haven't heard of anyone being denied boarding on a space available basis. I remember flying last year during an embargo space avail and I had no problem.

The visa could be a big hassle.

desertopsguy
19th Jun 2008, 09:06
I could be wrong but I think if you are transiting and don't leave the airport then you will not need a visa as long as you leave within 24hrs..

With regard to the dress code, when in the airport the customary black trash bag that ALL women must wear while in Saudi, is not required, but as previous poster said, dress modestly and avoid amorous saudi men in the terminal.

RUH is also the most conservative of Saudi cities as it is populated by mostly unsphisticated, religious bedouin nut jobs...

Flying with Saudia is terrible, nothing to drink and they even censor cartoons for being revealing!

mutt
19th Jun 2008, 13:55
In a nutshell, avoid it !!!

Mutt

NZ X man
20th Jun 2008, 19:08
"Insophisticated religious bedouin nut jobs", did I get that right, truly classic and correct, rates with "well how long is a piece of string"

Thank YOu
Former Riyadh corporate pilot,(twice):}