PDA

View Full Version : Dash 7 for Regional Air

jetpet
17th Jun 2008, 07:28
Hear that regional Air is about to start operating a Dash 7 based out of Arusha...any more info?

406pilot
17th Jun 2008, 16:58
hola'

yeah i also heard it from one of the pilots working there, so yeah im happy more dash's coming to tz...

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

Soap Box Cowboy
17th Jun 2008, 22:48
Ah yes also flies on three engines, transition will not be hard for Twin otter pilots, speeds the same, you still get to take off in 300 meters with a full load and once your nicely settled in the cruise, watch the masai walk their cattle past you at lightning speed. :E

Good on you fellows, hope you all get a chance at flying the big beastie :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Jun 2008, 05:16
Going to have fun with those -50 engines though. Hope your maintenance guys have their fingers out...

V1... Ooops
2nd Jul 2008, 14:54
Saw this on the ramp at Wilson today...

http://dubfoto.com/albums/userpics/10003/Regional__Air.jpg (http://dubfoto.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3621)

Propstop
2nd Jul 2008, 17:29
The Dash 7 is a nightmare to maintain. It was a fantastic concept but lacked the 60 series PT6 as the 50's are a nightmare with hot starts and hot running. I worked on them from new in a hot and high tropical country and we had numerous problems.
The main engine harness plug is at the back of the intake and will get wet; your fuel flow indication will then become erratic. Occasionally it will munch a hydraulic pump on the right engines; a nightmare to get serviceable again with the system flushing etc. The fuel tank water drains are not at the lowest point in the tank. Hydraulic leaks in the armpit, usually the spoiler manifold and valves. Not forgetting the chronic nosewheel shimmy.
The best thing about them is job security for maintenance people.
The pilots tell me they are very nice to fly and certainly nice to fly on but sl-o-o-o-o-w.
The last one I saw was looking rather sad in a hangar in Malta.
The refinement of the design is the -8, a better loved and more functional aircraft is yet to be built.

V1... Ooops
2nd Jul 2008, 20:21
...a better loved and more functional aircraft is yet to be built.

It is true that a Dash 7 requires significantly more maintenance than a twin-engine aircraft of the same size, but you have to keep in mind that it is a specialty tool. There is no other aircraft in the world that will deliver 50 people to a 1,000 foot strip. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Dash 8, which I agree is a great aircraft, but STOL operation in and out of undeveloped strips was not a design goal for the Dash 8.

I am sure if you talk to the engineers responsible for BAE 146, Lockheed Jetstars, and other small 4 engine aircraft, you will hear the same thing - when you have four engines, system complexity increases by an order of magnitude, and so does maintenance.

Carrier
2nd Jul 2008, 23:26
An-72 as a two engine alternative???? It would certainly have a higher cruise speed.

flyhardmo
3rd Jul 2008, 04:12
The Dash 7 will be maintained by Air kenya, the parent company of Regional Air. They have been operating the dash's for a long time now and their engineers have alot of experience with every problem imaginable.
Good to see regional air moving ahead in the right direction. Great company to work for. :D

perceval
3rd Jul 2008, 10:25
hey mo ,

The chief and miss lulu are off to canada this week end for the training .happy days for them eh ???

flyhardmo
4th Jul 2008, 07:36
hey hey percy where have you disappeared off to. I was thinking of trading the triple 7 for the dash 7 but nah. Would have been fun though.
Well done to the chief and Loulou.. Living the dream.

Vialengai
4th Jul 2008, 13:59
Awesome machine!! It made the Locals at Pangani do a double take!....landed back in Arusha had to add power to make Bravo turnoff!

Coleman Myers
5th Jul 2008, 15:39
:ok: good luck boys - chews up Maribous and Flamingo's with gusto - great machine !.

406pilot
5th Jul 2008, 20:43
hola'

as bombardier people like saying -7 is the last STOL aircraft they built, although the Q300 lands and stops in quite a small distance even without the use of reverse thrust, i guess its not good enough to be considered as STOL...saw the beast parked at TB.1 while i taxied out in the Q300 and the pilots stopped and stared at the Q300 so i guess it must be quite a sight....more feasting for your eyes coming soon in the form of Q400's

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot