PDA

View Full Version : training school choices

bubble0seven
16th Jun 2008, 19:14
Hi,

Havig read through some old posts i have come accross the following quote:

Continuity of training was also considered vital. They didn't want to see a multi rating here, a CPL rating there and an IR done somewhere else with a cheap MCC thrown in for good measure to tick the box. In the case of PPL training they didn't give a stuff.

I see how this could be important. the poster mentioned Oxfror, CabAir Jerez etc in terms of school to show ( modular ) linked and structured training.

I know after a rather slef serving previous post that I am looking to get to regional TP when it is all said and done... Doing CPL-FI-MEIR-MCC through stapleford...

I have to ask if Stapleford are cast in the same light as the major schools as geographically they suit me better.

nmcpilot
16th Jun 2008, 19:31
This question usually opens up a can of worms, I have been told that Stapleford often gets considered a bit of a 't-shirt and jeans' type of a flying school. Not that this is a bad thing, I know a guy who went to stapleford for his CPL/IR then did his MCC at Oxford, as Oxford has better facilities to cater for the MCC. Had no problem getting a job straight out with Ryanair.

I am at Oxford, speaking to Ryanair they told me that seeing Oxford on the CV puts a tick in the box for them and they do like people coming from there. But then they were doing a seminar at Oxford at the time so maybe they were just saying that you don't know.

Cabair only do Modular at Bournemouth, I considered them but being so far away it wasn't really an option.

Also Oxford will send you to Arizona for your CPL/ME, you CAN do it in England, but take into account they only have 2 warriors in total at Oxford (they have like 40 in Arizona) so that might make your CPL take a bit longer.

Airlines do want continuity with training though, they prefer what they call a 'One stop' modular course basically so they don't have to goto a million different FTO's to find out what kind of pilot you are, if they can just have one report from one flying school they seem to like that.

As far as quality in training goes don't think there is much major difference between Stapleford and Oxford, not heard much about Cabair, I have heard Aeros in Gloucester are very good.

The one thing I would say as far as Oxford is concerned is you are put into the airline mentality from the very start each flight is done as if its a commercial flight full mass and balance and passenger briefings/ take off briefings for each flight plus being around alot of other people doing the exact same thing gives you the motivation to continually push yourself to make each flight perfect.

But I don't know, alot of people on PPrune slate various FTO's due to one bad experience they have had, probably best to ignore if you go and have a look around at each FTO, check out their aircraft how many students they have per instructor etc and how many aircraft they have if they have alot of students per instructor or alot of students and not many aircraft you might find yourself on the ground pissed off alot so watch out for that..

Don't know what else to add :S good luck.

wbryce
16th Jun 2008, 20:53
Continuity in terms of flight training from an airlines perspective is doing your ME/CPL/IR at one school. One stop modular or full time modular what ever its market name is holds very little weight in their reasoning - its still modular and they will continue to see it as modular whether its done full time or not, they prefer to see your training done with one provider (CPL/IR/ME) and this is where the continuity statement comes from.

Don't pay over the odds on a one stop modular course to tick this continuity box. If your training modular, research your schools and pick wisely.