PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Skill test

Crabbing
16th Jun 2008, 16:09
Hi all,

I fly for a UK based airline and hold a UK JAR frozen ATPL.
I have been offered a job abroad for which I will be using a foreign license.
If in the future I want to unfreeze my UK JAR ATPL what is the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Crabbing

I-LBF
16th Jun 2008, 20:33
By getting required hours. I don't know the laws behind this but wouldn't the hours you gain with the new job credit to your JAA License?? Or do you have to 'use' the Particular license to credit hours towards it??

If this isn't the case, get a job in an airline using the JAA License or hour build

wbryce
16th Jun 2008, 21:04
The experience should count providing your logging it within the boundaries of JAR FCL-1. I could be wrong but thats my understanding.

Crabbing
17th Jun 2008, 16:28
The problem is the check-ride, which is now a part of the process.
Within an EU based airline - no probs as you can use your LPC.
What do you do otherwise?

saucy jack
17th Jun 2008, 17:17
I agree about the logging of hours providing properly recorded and, if appropriate, certified (a letter from my employer was sufficient).

Presumably the two most important factors will be firstly, would the LPC skills test for the foreign licence meets the standards of the JAA one in respect of all areas to be tested, and secondly are the qualifications of the "foreign" TRE conducting the test and signing you off acceptable to/recognised by the CAA?

Much depends where you are headed I suppose....darkest africa vs. hong kong for instance. Perhaps the new company employs ex-pat TREs from europe who, with the prior agreement of the CAA, could if necessary tweak the skills test and also sign you off for both licences? Doubtless you could quickly check this out with the prospective employer, and ask whether they have prior experience of your situation.

Whichever the case, I think a call to the CAA FCL department is unavoidable.

Crabbing
17th Jun 2008, 18:56
I wrote the CAA few days ago (e mail), if no joy I'll ring them.
Any idea if an ATPL check-ride can be done privately?

saucy jack
17th Jun 2008, 19:28
As far as the CAA is concerned the ATPL skills test is nothing more than your annual Licence Proficiency Check coinciding with reaching the required hours so I don't see why not.

In some countries {Germany for instance) they have separate licence validations for copilot and captain so the issue of an ATPL/Captain is a bit more involved, but in the UK it's the same licence for both seats.

Consider if you bought a type rating and failed to get a job within a year, you could re-new it "privately" to keep it current...it's still a LPC if it meets all requirements.

Crabbing
17th Jun 2008, 21:54
How about JAR examiners which are not UK CAA?

Crabbing
18th Jun 2008, 09:11
I really appreciate it.

saucy jack
18th Jun 2008, 11:19
re: JAR examiners, my LPC/Skills test was signed off by a non UK (german) TRE.

The CAA required only a copy of the examiners TRE authorisation from his issuing authority...was not a problem at all.

Sorry if I mislead slightly in my previous post...in my company we tend to do a raw data ILS during recurrent sim checks even if it is not strictly required on the paperwork.

Crabbing
18th Jun 2008, 13:43
All good news.