PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Price of Training?

fibod
16th Jun 2008, 11:37
EASA (The European Aviation Safety Agency, which is progressively replacing the JAA) have just published on their website the Notice of Proposed Amendment ("NPA") covering flight crew licensing.

Click here (http://www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/r/r_npa.php)

The somewhat indigestible document seems to confirm a rumour that, under the new rules due for implementation in April 2009, instructors delivering training for EASA licenses must hold a JAA or EASA license themselves. This is a radical change from the current arrangements, and will have a dramatic effect on many European FTOs who use overseas training locations to reduce costs, where the instructors are approved to teach on JAA courses, but do not hold JAA licenses.

It seems logical that the implications are that the FTOs' costs will rise as a result of this rule change, and the capacity of the European training industry will reduce; both of which suggest increasing training prices.

The NPA is published to elicit feedback from the industry and individuals. While you may wish to vent your thoughts about this change here, you should also do so on the EASA website, as I can guarantee that opinions expressed on PPRuNe will not change the rules.

VirginSkid
16th Jun 2008, 12:01
hmm...

I may be wrong but I am sure that currently where overseas flight schools provide JAA training, their instructors are required to hold JAA licenses. If this is the case then this EASA deal should have no impact.

If not then to some extent it will.

To some extent because it is clear the industry similar to others are experiencign a downturn.

Airlines are holding their recruitment back, hourly rates are due an increase due to high fuel prices, and the number of wannabees in training will also gradually subside - thus there would be more pressure on flight schools to remain competetive to attract business and even stay afloat!. If airlines are going bust, surely flight schools are due to drop too!

Even if EASA licensing were to create issues - I believe flight schools will have sufficient supply of resources (like always) to continue without needing increasing prices.

I will get back to counting beans for now! ;-)

fibod
16th Jun 2008, 12:44
No Virgin, a FI does not need a JAA licence but does require an authorisation to teach on a JAA course; there is an Appendix to the relevant JAR describing the procedure (I can't remember the reference but could look it out if you are really interested :8)

Obviously, there may be other downward pressures on prices, but this will be a dramatic upwards pressure on costs to the FTOs, which of course they will want to reflect in higher prices to maintain their margin...

Alex Whittingham
16th Jun 2008, 13:11
As I understand it the larger existing FTOs who train overseas have negotiated some form of waiver to the rule which requires their instructors to hold JAA licenses - they certainly seem much more relaxed about it than they did six months ago. This rule may therefore end up only applying to new approvals.