PDA

View Full Version : AOL 5.0 versus AOL 6.0

DouglasDigby
13th Mar 2001, 00:21
Has anyone else had problems using AOL 5.0 & piggy-backing Netscape 4.7? I went through all sorts of hassle trying to resolve the difficulty.

Eventually, it turned out that some of the AOL 5.0 CDROMs don’t have some essential files to allow this (according to AOL). So, easy answer – find any AOL 6.0 CD & up-grade. Fixed very quickly – but a bit annoyed that it took 3 long calls to their Tech Support (thank goodness they are free!) before one of the technicians came up with the solution.

Engineer
13th Mar 2001, 01:09
Did they tell you which files??

DouglasDigby
13th Mar 2001, 01:48
Sorry, no. I think that having worked out that I needed AOL 6.0, the Tech Support person just wanted rid of me! Anyway, it all works fine now. All I have to do is work out now is how to migrate my e-mail folders from IE 4.7 to 6.0 - up-graded that too!

Engineer
13th Mar 2001, 02:59
You can install Aol 6 without installing the IE5.5 browser
Explore the AOL6 CD and run the NB (no browser) option AOL6 will install and you will still be able to use your own browser just minimise aol6 window

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Engineer (edited 12 March 2001).]

beaver eager
13th Mar 2001, 11:51
DD,

Try the Microsoft Knowledge Base http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?ln=en-gb for info on how to import/export/back up/restore outlook express files.
It's got the answers to most of one's questions. I keep it in my favourite's list - goddamm Microsoft.

DouglasDigby
13th Mar 2001, 12:11
Thanks, Engineer. I have elected to keep both aspects of the Netscape & AOL browsers for the moment - especially as AOL allows free-call access numbers from most countries. Also, my present ISP seems to have intermittent (but frequent) problems with their e-mail facility, so I'll probably transfer to the AOL address as my main e-mail. If only you could import folders, favourites etc - has anyone managed to do this from Netscape to AOL? AOL's tech people said it was impossible...

Engineer
13th Mar 2001, 18:35
Afraid they are right on that one Also you get nothing for free in this world and aol will bill you a communication charge if you connect outside of the UK

The Guvnor
13th Mar 2001, 19:29
My problem was the reverse of DouglasDigby's - I had AOL5 and was running Netscape over the top no problem; but as soon as I upgraded to AOL6 ... mega problems!! Even now, with AOL6 uninstalled and AOL5 reinstalled, I find that Netscape usually 'freezes', especially if I have a couple of windows open - in particular PPRuNe, as it seems to be very resource-heavy.

Any ideas??

Engineer
14th Mar 2001, 04:05
What version of netscape I have aol6 IE5.5 and netscape4.6 and have had very few problems

Freezes and crashes occur frequently when memory resources low With your system running check system resources that is done by Start, settings, control panel and click on the "system" icon to bring up system properties box select the performance tab and look at the system performance if % less than 30% windows enters the unstable zone

If system is low try reducing programmes running in the background by closing those on the sys tray or be adventuous and go for modifying your start up programme

For start up tab run "msconfig" in the run box

Hope this help

lame
23rd Mar 2001, 05:32
AOL6 only became available here a couple of days ago, directly off the AOL site, already running AOL5.

I downloaded and installed it but had no end of trouble, their tech support couldn't solve it, now gone back to using AOL5 and at least those NEW problems have gone away...

Also just found out that several email newsletters, that I have subscribed to for years, when with another ISP, are being blocked by AOL, even though I WANT them, and they will NOT allow them through. These are NOT in any way "offensive" or anything, as long as you don't find Cricket offensive, main one is from England, the "cricinfo".

Time to find another ISP I think????

lame
23rd Mar 2001, 06:29
I hope nobody took my previous posting the wrong way?

I think that AOL is probably the GREATEST ISP THAT THERE IS.........

( Immediately after posting the previous post, my connection to the internet was terminated by AOL? I am expecting a visit from the &*$#@# CIA any minute ? )