PDA

View Full Version : Best way to track aircraft over the internet?

suddste
15th Jun 2008, 19:42
Hi,

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, there is a lot of sections, and I thought this would be the right one. :)

I will be going on holiday soon, and I would like to know the best way to track the flight like a week before I am due to get on the flight to see how it is going.

I want to try to track my flight as far as I can because it is going over the North Atlantic, and I do not know the best way to track it.

I have an internet ACARS system, but I don't know of any good program to use with JACARS, could you recommend me one?

Any other ideas to track a flight over the internet?

Thank you.
suddste.

Gulf4uk
15th Jun 2008, 21:07
hi

If know the flight number you can enter that so
get flytecomm from google and select track flight
this will give you some information but not the Reg -
possible it might give you type.
there are other places you may get more info put flightaware
into google this is USA site and may help more when
other side of Pond . Enter flight number in search Very
easy. There are Good Acars programmes for HF But
you will need a decent HF Reciever HAM Comms type
of thing and a good Antenna then only if conditions
right

Tony
farnborough

Gulf4uk
15th Jun 2008, 21:17
oh And before someone reminds me and you unlicienced use

"THE USE OF RADIO EQUIPMENT TO RECEIVE ACARS AND AIRCRAFT
RADIO TRANSMISSIONS MAY NOT BE LEGAL IN UK IT IS NOT
ILLEGAL TO POSSESS THIS EQUIPMENT BUT PASS ON
INFORMATION RECEIVED ON IT IS "

ok there you are

Tony:ugh::mad::=

suddste
15th Jun 2008, 21:28
Not legal? I'm not passing any information on, I'm just watching it?

wiggy
15th Jun 2008, 21:30
A bit of background - the routes over the North Atlantic change from day to day - "your" holiday flight's route today may be different next week. Anyhow good luck with the project

suddste
15th Jun 2008, 21:53
sorry, yeah, I know, but I still would like to take a look. :)

I will stop if it is a legal problem though, any ideas on that?

suddste
15th Jun 2008, 22:10
Can anyone confirm that it is illegal for you to just watch ACARS messages, I haven't sent on the information at all, I've just watched it.

I will remove the ACARS if it is illegal to use it.

Paddywacker
16th Jun 2008, 07:29
We use flight explorer in my ops office. We have the professional edition but they do have a "personal" edition whcih might be what your looking for. Here's the link: http://www.flightexplorer.com/personal/personalEdition.aspx

If it only half the stuff the professional edition does your still on a winner.

suddste
16th Jun 2008, 09:25
Sorry if I seem to be impatient, but I really need to know if I should remove ACARS on my computer?

suddste
16th Jun 2008, 15:15
Ok, thanks. It is not really 'equipment', but the data is from the internet. And I won't pass on the information.

I did do a google search, but I couldn't find anything to say that it is illegal.

PaperTiger
16th Jun 2008, 16:14
I did do a google search, but I couldn't find anything to say that it is illegal.Technically it is, but nobody cares except for a few anal Nellies on this board.

suddste
16th Jun 2008, 19:17
Should I remove it or not?

PaperTiger
16th Jun 2008, 19:50
Should I remove it or not?Good Lord, no. If the various ACARS websites have not been shut down by "the man", even after the rendition exposé, I really don't think they'd be interested in you.

suddste
16th Jun 2008, 20:07
I'm not even passing on the data anyway, which is what the rule says you are not allowed to do, so I'm not breaking the law.

Thanks for helping.

steve wilson
17th Jun 2008, 05:43
www.aeroseek.com/webtrax (http://www.aeroseek.com/webtrax) will let you enter the flight number and track the flight as long as the aircraft is overland. IF you want to try to listed to the flight then go to www.liveatc.net (http://www.liveatc.net) it has airband relays from Dublin and the USA along with a North Atlantic HF feed, sometimes two. It will take a slice of luck to pick your flight up on these but its fun to listen to anyway. The Airband coverage will be far more comprehensive on this site once your flight gets across the atlantic. Also if you have Google earth try www.openatc.com (http://www.openatc.com) for a 5-minute time delayed SBS picture. This is dependant upon SBS feeds being pumped into the system by users so it can be a little hit and miss.

Have fun

Steve

PPRuNe Pop
17th Jun 2008, 08:17
You may listen to almost anything on a radio. That is what they are for.

However, the 'small print' (the law) often says that you may not pass on the information you receive (police etc.,) - obviously that does not involve public broadcasts.

ACARS, for your own use only are legal.

Brian H
17th Jun 2008, 09:40
I tracked my sons flight to Los Angeles last week once it entered Canadian airspace, on www.flightstats.com

suddste
18th Jun 2008, 09:56
Thanks for the help everyone! :)

darrylj
18th Jun 2008, 21:10
Paddywacker,

that personal edition is asking for a username / password:confused:

thanks.