PDA

View Full Version : What is Rundll32 ?

KwikPhix
9th Dec 2001, 17:02
I have been finding recently that when I try to restart my computer (Via the start Icon), my machine freezes and won't restart. I then key Ctrl-Alt-Del and it tells me that Rundll 32 is running. I then select end task and maybe Ctrl-alt del again and finally my machine will restart. Does anybody know what this Rundll 32 application is that is obviously running in the background, is it something that comes as part of windows 98SE, or it might be something I have added over the last year or so. Do i need it, and can i switch it off ? Thanks.

fobotcso
9th Dec 2001, 20:07
"RunDLL32.exe" seems to support most applications (.exe) that use an applications extension (.dll). RunDLL32.exe should stop when you close all applications. I would guess that the reason you can't shut down is that RunDLL32.exe hasn't stopped as it should. You can confirm this by doing your Ctrl/Alt/Del routine before you shut down. If it is running, stop it first and then try shutting down normally.

Having done that, see if you can identify which Application you have just been running that may have caused the problem. It may be an old Legacy App that is trying to use the wrong .dll.

Try un-installing that App and then re-installing it.

Yes you can stop it as long as there are no applications running. When it is needed, it will start again.

An MCSE may give you a more informed answer.

[ 09 December 2001: Message edited by: fobotcso ]

Evo7
9th Dec 2001, 20:25
An MCSE may give you a more informed answer.

Hahahahahahahaha!

Hahahahah! Hahaha! Ha... Sorry ;)

rundll32 is important, so do not delete it. Have you virus checked? If you have, then I'd agree with fobotcso - either an application or driver is failing to shut itself down on reboot, and is tying up rundll32.

KwikPhix
10th Dec 2001, 01:18
thank you.

under_exposed
10th Dec 2001, 14:48
Try disabling fast shutdown, this can cause problems with some apps.

Icarus
10th Dec 2001, 17:47
Actually an MCSD would give you a much better/clearer answer! MCSE is for whimps! ;)

Rundll32.exe

This is an app you need, if you want to shutdown Windows or disable the mouse or just about anything.

How do you use it?

Simply call it from DOS with the correct parameter, eg.

C:\windows\rundll32.exe user,exitWindows

(To shut down Windows)

Not got mine yet (MCSD) but not far off. :D

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: Icarus ]